Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't do (better place method) battery swap stations, it's a stupid idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. But I'm thinking power swap and not physical battery swap.

Nigel to charge 85KW of power in 45 seconds would require a charge of over 6MW. That is over 6 million watts. A charge of that magnitude would probably literally blow up the lithium batteries and the entire swap station with it.

Honestly, I really do have to wonder at the imagination of the arm chair engineers that frequent TMC.

I was not a swap advocate, but after Elon's tweet of a 45 second swap, I think I see where he's going with this.

Imagine a few years from now. Tesla has licensed the charger and swap technology. Several different cars are able to use them (plus Xs, MS and Genlll). You pull up to a site and need to charge your pack. All 12 supercharger bays have cars in them. You see 4 more cars parked nearby, obviously waiting their turn. While you are sitting there trying to decide if you should wait around for an open bay or eat first, you notice 3-4 cars roll up on the swapper and get a fully charged up battery. You are contemplating a situation that could easily take over an hour to be charged up with the supercharger. Those cars are headed to the freeway on ramp in minutes. Hmmmm........

EXACTLY. People with different pocketbooks and different needs will be able to take advantage of the array of services available.

Get ready for battery swapping to cost some serious dough... I don't mean five bucks. Don't be surprised if they say there'll be a suggested retail price of twenty bucks per swap. This may rise or fall depending on the cost of gasoline. It may fall or rise depending on the capacity of the battery you're going to get. You could choose from 3 sizes that are underground inside the mechanism - just like when you choose "regular," "deluxe" or "premium" when you're at the automated car wash. It will make standing around for 20min while your car gets half-a-charge-up at no cost seem quite reasonable... both processes will have commensurate end-user costs.

Nigel to charge 85KW of power in 45 seconds would require a charge of over 6MW. That is over 6 million watts. A charge of that magnitude would probably literally blow up the lithium batteries and the entire swap station with it.

Honestly, I really do have to wonder at the imagination of the arm chair engineers that frequent TMC.

If the swap station were also located next to a substation, it could work.

substation_energy_flow.jpg

I did some quick calculations and it turns out that you could charge a Tesla in about .000001 seconds (1 microsecond) with a lightning bolt. Why does't Musk just do that??? What a goofball trying to swap batteries when some lightning is all you need. :p

I did some quick calculations and it turns out that you could charge a Tesla in about .000001 seconds (1 microsecond) with a lightning bolt. Why does't Musk just do that??? What a goofball trying to swap batteries when some lightning is all you need. :p

This technology was available back in 1955.

Attachments

• 121gigawatts.jpg
    121gigawatts.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator: