Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! - I work for BIG oil but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry I started a new thread about my delivery with the P85D. At first my co-workers were obviously pretty impressed and loved the car. It has now turned into razzing and busting my chops with "Wow great businessman you are... going full electric when oil tanks and gas prices drop" and other stupid comments.

Deep down inside I know they love the car as they always want to take my car to lunch etc. and love to get an un-expecting newbie in the car that they can distract while I slam on the accelerator and hear them scream.

LOL Good job with the un-expecting newbs... :)

Ironically it was my working in the oil industry that sparked my interest in EVs 15 years ago. In the 1990's I jumped ship from container ships to dynamically positioned offshore oil exploration drilling rigs. I worked for Noble Drilling at the time of early deep water drilling when this industry had a dire need for USCG Unlimited Tonnage deck officers and engineers because for the first time their rigs were classified as vessels and by international laws require manning by licensed mariners.

Talk about taking a job with a lot of animosity from your new co-workers. I had no idea that there was such a mind set among these folks. For every position from roustabout to driller and rig manager, you paid your dues. Needless to say, even though they needed me and my license, they sure weren't inviting to anyone that didn't pay these dues by starting as a roustabout.

Keeping my eyes open during this employment, it didn't take long for me to see how this industry works, treats people and ecology, and their action with governments. After 5 years I went back to ships and at the same time starting to experiment and build EVs.

So it was the oil industry that woke me to electric transportation. You would never find a visionary like Elon in this industry as the powers to be have no social conscience, greed is their mantra.

Off soapbox now, but I have some experience with Big Oil, and didn't like it.