Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! - I work for BIG oil but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ex-Schlumberger and current P+ owner :)

if you need a fix before your car comes in and are in S Fl you can take mine for a spin.

I had to go from air to coils to get that "BMW feel" I was looking for but that was a small price to pay. You'll also be right at home with the inner shoulder rear tire wear.

What will really put a smile on your face will be sitting at a light with your foot hovering over the accelerator then promptly squeezing down on it when the light turns green and spanking your old M5. The car responds so quickly the other guy will think he was caught napping. Putting several car lengths on the other guy from a stand still is icing on the cake.

If you are a nerd like me, take a look at the bar code style rubber marks the car leaves. The TC's time constant is an order of magnitude shorter than ICE which turns those big power on/off stripes of an ICE into a neat little strip pattern.

Lastly, the torque is always there and one pedal driving is a dream. You'll go back to your ICE and think something is broken (which, technically, there is if you consider poor design a fault).

jstepy, you are not alone. I used to work for big oil too.

As others have said, I would focus on the fact that it's the best performing car on the market. It happens to be made in America. It happens to be electric.

It also happens to be awesome.

They'll understand when you give them a ride.

Enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the comments... yes I do not believe I will be disappointed at all with my decision. Like so many have experienced in his forum it's just the waiting that is causing so much grief. My solar power surplus credit is piling up over these summer months and I will be ready to use it for my MS!

Thanks everyone for the comments... yes I do not believe I will be disappointed at all with my decision. Like so many have experienced in his forum it's just the waiting that is causing so much grief. My solar power surplus credit is piling up over these summer months and I will be ready to use it for my MS!
Well? Did your baby arrive, or did I miss it?

Can't wait to hear about you first day at work arriving in the Model S.
Will they let you in the car park?
There's a little oil in the transmission, some grease in the bearings and lots of plastic bits but that's it.

Yes... I will be fine. A bunch of coworkers know already and can't wait to take it to lunch when it comes. I just got the wall unit charger yesterday which adds to the excitement.

They all all joke the Tesla would be great for field sampling... Keep the vacuum pump and generator for gas samples in the frunk and pull right up to sample points. In the trunk keep my bailers and all other water sampling equipment. And with air suspension put it on high for the dirt roads. Sorry but this thing is going no where near the fields :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Good article EVME... I had heard this mentioned before.

People that work in Energy are surprisingly anti-EV... Even in the nuclear field which SHOULD be pro-EV... I think the field just attracts people that are..... "stuck in their ways".

I've worked in nuclear for a long time. It is interesting to see some of the opinions on these forums. Nukes + EVs would be a good combination for reducing emissions (as would solar panels on the garage). Personally, I'm drawn to Tesla as a car guy, not as an environmental guy, but I'm all for doing my part to be a good steward of our resources. Incidentally, I'm also from the south, but I'm not a luddite:)

Well the cats out of the bag. Had a coworker stop by the house and I totally forgot about my HPWC that I had installed a couple days ago adorning my garage wall... Let the mocking begin. He was actually pretty excited after a few minutes of busting my chops and is eager to take a spin in it when it comes. He said it was odd that I hadn't been driving the M5 for a while and now he knows why.

Delivery scheduled for next Tuesday and as far as I know the delay hasn't affected me yet... Still haven't been able to confirm it with a human yet but dashboard still says 9-9-14...

Shaping up to be a great day... iPhone 6 announcement and a brand new Tesla. What could be better?

I will snap some pics ASAP as it's the new steel grey. It's off right away to get the windows tinted and all the chrome wrapped in satin black. Hears hoping there is no delay!

Well I finally took delivery and the vehicle is everything I imagined. Haven't taken it to work yet as I am having the chrome wrapped in black, clear bra applied and windows tinted.

I have some pics of the car undergoing this project over at:

Steel Grey on Grey P85+ Clear Bra, Chrome Vinyl Wrap and Nano Project

I'll let you guys know what the co-workers say when I take it next week.

Thanks again for all the comments and help.

Congrats jstepy! I just got mine last Friday and have had an amazing amount of fun with it in these last few days. My driving life has changed for good. I hope you have a blast with yours too! I remember this thread from when I was still early in my wait, so seeing it pop up again and recall how very far in the future my tesla seemed at the time was quite cool.

Enjoy!!!!

I'm sorry I started a new thread about my delivery with the P85D. At first my co-workers were obviously pretty impressed and loved the car. It has now turned into razzing and busting my chops with "Wow great businessman you are... going full electric when oil tanks and gas prices drop" and other stupid comments.

Deep down inside I know they love the car as they always want to take my car to lunch etc. and love to get an un-expecting newbie in the car that they can distract while I slam on the accelerator and hear them scream.