Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't rely on tesla road assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, sorry to hear of your problems. Glad you are safe.

I wouldn't know what car to recommend to replace it. We have had much worse happen with every brand we have ever had in 38 years of driving...except our Nissan Leaf which without a doubt was the most reliable sold car we have ever owned. So far so good with the Tesla, but it has only been 10 months.

Never trust anyone to come to your rescue in bad weather. Tesla doesn't have their own rescuers. That is all contracted out and in times of bad weather they are swamped.

In Canada you are expected to have your own emergency preparations when travelling in those kind of conditions. Storm candles, extra socks, gloves, sweaters, toques, water, granola bars, flashlights etc.

I didn't get calling the police thing. Maybe I misunderstood the situation.

Consider making a winter travel "go bag". At least around here, you are the only one responsible for you and a properly equipped "go bag" will save your life,

JMHO

That service has special provision for BMW and they understand the cars because of brand specific training.

Which of the 3 main breakdown services in the UK would you chose for a Tesla? Which have had extra training on the cars? Which one would give you the best service? We’ve no idea.

Of course we can pay extra and take out a 3rd party service to sort out our car in a more convenient way than rely on Tesla, but why should we?

I think all the major services will have dealt with enough Teslas by now to get them towed. For technical assistance you can call Tesla too. I haven’t needed it myself, but a friend who has says they are good with remote diagnostics.

I’ll take the Tesla Supercharging network over BMWs recovery service any day! If Tesla offered a comprehensive recovery service for free it would be nice, but I don’t see it as an important feature. I’d much rather they spent their money on the charging network, which no other manufacturer has done, despite their enormous scale.

I’ll take the Tesla Supercharging network over BMWs recovery service any day

I don't understand how this comparison is even relevant. If you want to broaden the scope of the conversation to discuss how the entire ownership experience of a Tesla works better for you than a BMW then fine, but it seems to be the stangest thing to compare a charging network to a recovery service in the context of this thread.

I don't understand how this comparison is even relevant. If you want to broaden the scope of the conversation to discuss how the entire ownership experience of a Tesla works better for you than a BMW then fine, but it seems to be the stangest thing to compare a charging network to a recovery service in the context of this thread.

Obviously they are not comparable services, it’s just that one of them is something genuinely unique that you can’t just buy from a third party. Who really cares if a car comes with free breakdown recovery or not? It’s worth about £75 per year.

With Tesla you get a private charging network (free for me too) and roadside assistance with limited recovery. So I’m not going to moan about not having a free rescue service.

Reactions: Obliter8
Obviously they are not comparable services, it’s just that one of them is something genuinely unique that you can’t just buy from a third party. Who really cares if a car comes with free breakdown recovery or not? It’s worth about £75 per year.

With Tesla you get a private charging network (free for me too) and roadside assistance with limited recovery. So I’m not going to moan about not having a free rescue service.

The argument is just as valid in the opposite direction - Tesla obviously have some sort of agreement with 3rd party recovery firms even if they end up paying per call out, its just rubbish. If its "only £75" then why don't they provide a proper inclusive service with one company that can have a specific standard of service, additional training if necessary, access to the same help desk we can all use and possibly a more "techie to techie" conversation than the public would have (Plug in computer and press reboot type thing) - something that is better than the pot luck with one of 3 companies we all have via our individual contracts? I don't get to see why you think this is a bad idea other than you've decided its not a while back and just want to argue against it citing more irrelevant comparisons rather than admit it might have some merit.

The argument is just as valid in the opposite direction - Tesla obviously have some sort of agreement with 3rd party recovery firms even if they end up paying per call out, its just rubbish. If its "only £75" then why don't they provide a proper inclusive service with one company that can have a specific standard of service, additional training if necessary, access to the same help desk we can all use and possibly a more "techie to techie" conversation than the public would have (Plug in computer and press reboot type thing) - something that is better than the pot luck with one of 3 companies we all have via our individual contracts? I don't get to see why you think this is a bad idea other than you've decided its not a while back and just want to argue against it citing more irrelevant comparisons rather than admit it might have some merit.
Because that would cost more than £75

Who knows? Maybe Tesla are simply not big enough to leverage some kind of bespoke service with the AA/RAC. But I’m not sure where I said it was a bad idea? It’s more that I don’t really care either way. If you call Tesla roadside you can get as “techie” as you like with them and they will log directly into your car and tell you if it needs towing or not. They will even get it towed, but I just wouldn’t rely on them.

The advice from the UK Tesla club has always been to have additional AA/RAC membership and that will cover you for all your other cars and family. Even covers you as a passenger in any car.

Because that would cost more than £75

I’m been told repeatedly it’s £75 as an individual - a corporate/manufacturing deal would be cheaper per unit cost or a better service for the same price. I’m also being told on here that they’ve all seen so many Tesla’s they know how to deal with them, others say they’re not used to them. You say it would cost more, if it does it’s because they do more which can only be a good thing. All these things can’t be true.

the owners club recommend getting a 3rd party agreement because the standard Tesla offering is dreadful. It’s a shame they don’t feel the need to argue for Tesla to offer a better service

Reactions: browellm
I’m been told repeatedly it’s £75 as an individual - a corporate/manufacturing deal would be cheaper per unit cost or a better service for the same price. I’m also being told on here that they’ve all seen so many Tesla’s they know how to deal with them, others say they’re not used to them. You say it would cost more, if it does it’s because they do more which can only be a good thing. All these things can’t be true.

the owners club recommend getting a 3rd party agreement because the standard Tesla offering is dreadful. It’s a shame they don’t feel the need to argue for Tesla to offer a better service

Maybe Tesla simply isn't the brand for you if having a free bespoke rescue service is one of your major priorities. Is the standard Tesla offering even actually that bad compared to others? I've experienced Porsche Assist more than once and that wasn't anything special. The first time they sent a local contractor out to tow it (several hours wait during the day, no bad weather). The second time an RAC truck arrived to tow it (again several hours later). Neither made any attempt to fix the car at roadside. In both cases they were specifically instructed by Porsche Assist not to touch it, even though the RAC guy could have easily replaced the dead battery. At least Tesla have remote diagnostics, so there's always some chance of reviving it if the problem is software/sensor related.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Maybe Tesla simply isn't the brand for you if having a free bespoke rescue service is one of your major priorities.
VoBWLNF.gif

Maybe Tesla simply isn't the brand for you if having a free bespoke rescue service is one of your major priorities. Is the standard Tesla offering even actually that bad compared to others? I've experienced Porsche Assist more than once and that wasn't anything special. The first time they sent a local contractor out to tow it (several hours wait during the day, no bad weather). The second time an RAC truck arrived to tow it (again several hours later). Neither made any attempt to fix the car at roadside. In both cases they were specifically instructed by Porsche Assist not to touch it, even though the RAC guy could have easily replaced the dead battery. At least Tesla have remote diagnostics, so there's always some chance of reviving it if the problem is software/sensor related.

So Tesla us as rubbish as Porsche so it’s ok? Tesla want to be better and do things differently.

I want Tesla to be the best brand out there, to look after it’s customers better, provide an end to end experience that’s the best from controlling the buying experience by owning every sale centre to home charging to supercharging in the move, to rangers coming to your house to fix it if it goes wrong, so what’s so unreasonable about wanting it to just match the roadside service that Bmw etc offer? They do (for better it worse) all those other things.

Too many make excuses for Tesla and just accept the sh1t service they get and find excuses for the company.

So Tesla us as rubbish as Porsche so it’s ok? Tesla want to be better and do things differently.

I want Tesla to be the best brand out there, to look after it’s customers better, provide an end to end experience that’s the best from controlling the buying experience by owning every sale centre to home charging to supercharging in the move, to rangers coming to your house to fix it if it goes wrong, so what’s so unreasonable about wanting it to just match the roadside service that Bmw etc offer? They do (for better it worse) all those other things.

Too many make excuses for Tesla and just accept the sh1t service they get and find excuses for the company.
Good for you. I hope that Tesla focus on affordability and technology and don't try to act like an overpriced mediocre car manufacturer with a fetish for kidneys and mustaches.

When I had a BMW they would have a man in the car park when I dropped the car off that would clock my reg and welcome me by name then walk me to a space. I had a personal service co-coordinator, same guy for 7 years, who kept in touch like a friend. In the 'executive lounge' a host would bring me coffee and biscotti while I waited. They did forget to put all the wheel nuts in back on one wheel however. It was like flying first class on BA, utterly excessive and stupid, achieved the same outcome, and was all included in the price. The car was entirely analog and drank diesel like there was no tomorrow.

I've been pleased with Tesla service so far, easy to arrange, perfectly good communication, ranger service is a big hassle reduction. I have AA coverage.

I believe most people are happy with Tesla and their level of service till something goes wrong. Now for sure there are people who are not that fussed when their car is sitting in the SC forecourt for a week with none even taken a look into it as long they get a loaner. I am sure that there are people who are not fussed when there is no communication in any form regarding what is wrong with their car; when it takes half an hour waiting on phone to speak with someone from service and then get connected to a SC in another part of the country. I am sure there are people who are not bothered when they are getting told that ETA for car being fixed is unknown and when SC representative is asked if it will be more than a month says that maybe!
Apologies but I don't consider myself part of this group. I dare to expect a basic level of service. At least some form of communication and clear explanations regarding involved delays.
I am afraid that with more and more 3s on the road the SC situation will go further downhill. I seriously believe that Tesla do believe that their cars dont need any maintenance and they dont really break down (which is not the case) and they are woefully prepared for after sales service and support.
I do get that being under warranty kinda sweetens the deal but still not having your car for a month does not feel right. Furthermore imagine having this level of support outside warranty. Just the cost of a loaner for a month.

It would be impressive if Tesla had their very own worldwide fleet of private branded breakdown trucks, lol. .

Now you're being stupid. Nobody asked for them to have their own fleet of breakdown trucks only that they signed a contract with an existing company to offer a better roadside assistance service.

I agree with Envchem - its a bad situation and there's no sign of it getting better. There's too many Tesla apologists around here - coming over all sanctimonious about saving the planet the day Tesla announces cars that go stupidly fast that nobody needs. Tesla really don't give a damn about customers once you've bought, I really can't see them too bothered about the planet either, but if you fall for that one then good for you. If anything, Musk is planning his escape from this world.

Wow, yes. Imagine wanting Tesla to be better at things they aren't great at. Heretical. :rolleyes:
Not heresy, but it's naive to think that it's not about money. A bespoke and trained breakdown service would clearly cost more.

Now for sure there are people who are not that fussed when their car is sitting in the SC forecourt for a week with none even taken a look into it as long they get a loaner. I am sure that there are people who are not fussed when there is no communication in any form regarding what is wrong with their car; when it takes half an hour waiting on phone to speak with someone from service and then get connected to a SC in another part of the country. I am sure there are people who are not bothered when they are getting told that ETA for car being fixed is unknown and when SC representative is asked if it will be more than a month says that maybe!

We were talking about the roadside service. Service center capacity is clearly an issue, there are several new ones opening, let hope that improves the availability or service. I'm not sure what other manufacturer would immediately be able to get a broken down car into their workshop, I've certainly waited days for work to start and weeks for parts at other companies. Yes you have to accept that communication will be through text, they've always given my clear and timely messages. I agree it's a minimum level.

Sorry if you feel I'm an apologist, but frankly you are all pointlessly complaining in a third party forum which clearly has no connection to Tesla. and the only purpose it serves is to put off potential purchasers or create an echo chamber of like minded grievances. No one is allowed to be satisfied, just like no one is allowed to be pleased with FSD, or be happy with the build quality of their cars.

..and the only purpose it serves is to put off potential purchasers.

I wish I'd been made more aware how shockingly bad Tesla is at dealing with issues so if it puts off some people until Tesla fix it then that's no bad thing. Better they know what they're letting themselves in for rather than hear from the rose tinted glasses brigade and "we're saving the world" nonsense some use to justify things