TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Please Tesla - optional speed limiter

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Joewdwd, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Joewdwd

Joewdwd New Member

I'd love to hear from some people outside the US, where is is common in new cars.

2. kevinof

kevinof Member

My Merc E280 had this. Set the upper limit and put the foot down - it would never exceed it.

• Like x 1
  3. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Member

My old MB had speed limiting. Pushing the button on the end of the cruise control lever swapped the cruise mode from cruise to limit. Moving the lever up or down adjusted that limit speed.

Just like the flappy gear shifter paddles on the steering wheel, it was a feature I used once and then realised had no value to me. I just used cruise to control speed and ‘D’ to control the gears.

4. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

It's very useful in areas where the code are active wth those dodgy radar guns. Since you don't get the same feedback from an ICE engine in an EV it's useful for not accidentally speeding too.

5. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

The SC can program a speed limitation on to your vehicle. I inquired about the same thing as I am thinking of buying my twin 16 year olds Model 3’s and I mentioned it to the SC manager as he let me tour some of the 3’s getting ready for delivery - he told me they can program it...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. kevinof

kevinof Member

That's not what the OP is looking for. He wants a dynamic limit that he can set at any time. I've used it (on the Merc) when going through areas where there are many speed cameras - if the speed limit is 40 , you flick the lever and set the car to max out at say 45 , and even if you get distracted, you will never exceed the 45 limit.

• Like x 1
  7. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

I want my car to keep to changed speed limit in TACC - so say I am doing 50 and limit drops to 40 the car drops to lower limit. Must be possible as the red limit indicator changes - why does the car not follow the speed limit?

8. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

The tesla has that already.

9. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Glad you said it. I was thinking the same thing. A bit confused

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Mine doesn't.

11. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Gee, as a society, we sure are getting lazy and want technology to solve everything. I'm in that camp, getting lazy. Sooooo, while we are at it, I want a feature that automatically slows down the car when the wife says "you are going too fast", and then speed up to 120 mph when she falls asleep. If she says "you are driving too fast" more than 3 times on the same trip, then the passenger ejection seat triggers and launches her into space !!!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know about this feature on cars in other countries. Learn something every day. I'm still trying to decide if I would use this feature if I had it. It still seems like I'd just set the maximum on TACC and drive using that, like I do much of the time now. I guess I don't understand, but I do understand being accustomed to a feature and missing it in another vehicle.

• Like x 2
  13. rush6410

rush6410 Member

Works with AP auto steer engaged with an offset defined. The car will automatically slow down and speed up as the speed limit changes. I use it all the time.

14. ChicagolandMX

ChicagolandMX Member

I want a car that folds into a briefcase so I don't have to pay for parking when I arrive at my destination. I know the technology exists, I saw it on tv 30+ years ago!

• Funny x 1
  15. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

It's an important feature because cops are getting more and more overzealous with enforcement. One moment of concentrating on the road and other bad divers can cost you a small fortune.

16. kevinof

kevinof Member

Right but there are so many roads where auto pilot can't be used (narrow country roads ) and sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about going over to limit. Not a big deal for me and there are many , many other features I'd like to see in the car first, but it was nice to have it on the Merc.

• Like x 1
  17. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

Wow - I must try that. I do not have an offset defined and have to pull the stalk and hold when I enter a new limit - I will rty:)

Thanks!

18. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

Put cruise on and adjust the speed to whatever you want - short means 1mph up or down, long goes in 5mph increments.

• Like x 1
  19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Was it a car or an actual leaf? :)

• Funny x 1
  20. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Seems a good idea, and an interesting option.
    It would be fun to be able to drive and accelerate and fully control the car without ever worrying about going n-kms over the limit.