Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Tesla - optional speed limiter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Merc E280 had this. Set the upper limit and put the foot down - it would never exceed it.

I'm still trying to decipher what it is that you want. Joe, so let me see if I understand.

You want the car to allow you to drive normally, adjusting your speed with the pedal, but never allowing your speed to go above a preset upper limit? So, if the limit s set to 60 and you push the pedal to the floor, it would accelerate to 60 an stay there. But if you let off the pedal to go around a curve, the car would slow down?

If that is right, not a feature I have ever heard of on any vehicle in the USA. Discounting, of course, my 1965 VW bus that did those exact numbers and performed just like that, except there was no actual setting for the upper limit -- it was set at the factory...:rolleyes:

Reactions: PrGrPa
My old MB had speed limiting. Pushing the button on the end of the cruise control lever swapped the cruise mode from cruise to limit. Moving the lever up or down adjusted that limit speed.

Just like the flappy gear shifter paddles on the steering wheel, it was a feature I used once and then realised had no value to me. I just used cruise to control speed and ‘D’ to control the gears.

It's very useful in areas where the code are active wth those dodgy radar guns. Since you don't get the same feedback from an ICE engine in an EV it's useful for not accidentally speeding too.

Thanks for the responses but none of them satisfy the desire for a speed limiter, adjusted either manually or automatically depending on the speed limit. Many cars on the road now have both adaptive cruise control and adjustable speed limiter and the limiter is disabled if you push the accelerator to the floor so you can instantly accelerate to overtake. Tesla has the additional benefit of speed limit detection and therefore could adjust the speed limiter automatically. The hardware is already there as is all the sensor inputs for the software. And if you select the option you could turn it off in less than a second.

The objective of this is that you can then enjoy driving the car at any speed you like (up to or just over or just under the speed limit) without having to check the car speed all the time. Nobody really wants an annoying chime going off each time you exceed the limit and in any event you then still need to check your speedo and adjust your speed. The adaptive cruise control or auto pilot is great and I use it often but it sometimes takes corners too fast and sometimes you just want to drive yourself without having to worry about speed limits.

Valet and chill modes are for different purposes and don't go anywhere near achieving the objective of a variable speed limiter.
Regards
Joe
The SC can program a speed limitation on to your vehicle. I inquired about the same thing as I am thinking of buying my twin 16 year olds Model 3’s and I mentioned it to the SC manager as he let me tour some of the 3’s getting ready for delivery - he told me they can program it...

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX and nowtleft
That's not what the OP is looking for. He wants a dynamic limit that he can set at any time. I've used it (on the Merc) when going through areas where there are many speed cameras - if the speed limit is 40 , you flick the lever and set the car to max out at say 45 , and even if you get distracted, you will never exceed the 45 limit.

Reactions: 1 person
I want my car to keep to changed speed limit in TACC - so say I am doing 50 and limit drops to 40 the car drops to lower limit. Must be possible as the red limit indicator changes - why does the car not follow the speed limit?

That's not what the OP is looking for. He wants a dynamic limit that he can set at any time. I've used it (on the Merc) when going through areas where there are many speed cameras - if the speed limit is 40 , you flick the lever and set the car to max out at say 45 , and even if you get distracted, you will never exceed the 45 limit.
The tesla has that already.

I'm still trying to decipher what it is that you want. Joe, so let me see if I understand.

You want the car to allow you to drive normally, adjusting your speed with the pedal, but never allowing your speed to go above a preset upper limit? So, if the limit s set to 60 and you push the pedal to the floor, it would accelerate to 60 an stay there. But if you let off the pedal to go around a curve, the car would slow down?

If that is right, not a feature I have ever heard of on any vehicle in the USA. Discounting, of course, my 1965 VW bus that did those exact numbers and performed just like that, except there was no actual setting for the upper limit -- it was set at the factory...:rolleyes:

Glad you said it. I was thinking the same thing. A bit confused

Gee, as a society, we sure are getting lazy and want technology to solve everything. I'm in that camp, getting lazy. Sooooo, while we are at it, I want a feature that automatically slows down the car when the wife says "you are going too fast", and then speed up to 120 mph when she falls asleep. If she says "you are driving too fast" more than 3 times on the same trip, then the passenger ejection seat triggers and launches her into space !!!

Glad you said it. I was thinking the same thing. A bit confused
Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know about this feature on cars in other countries. Learn something every day. I'm still trying to decide if I would use this feature if I had it. It still seems like I'd just set the maximum on TACC and drive using that, like I do much of the time now. I guess I don't understand, but I do understand being accustomed to a feature and missing it in another vehicle.

Reactions: PrGrPa and FlyF4
I want my car to keep to changed speed limit in TACC - so say I am doing 50 and limit drops to 40 the car drops to lower limit. Must be possible as the red limit indicator changes - why does the car not follow the speed limit?
Works with AP auto steer engaged with an offset defined. The car will automatically slow down and speed up as the speed limit changes. I use it all the time.

It's an important feature because cops are getting more and more overzealous with enforcement. One moment of concentrating on the road and other bad divers can cost you a small fortune.

Right but there are so many roads where auto pilot can't be used (narrow country roads ) and sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about going over to limit. Not a big deal for me and there are many , many other features I'd like to see in the car first, but it was nice to have it on the Merc.

Works with AP auto steer engaged with an offset defined. The car will automatically slow down and speed up as the speed limit changes. I use it all the time.

Reactions: StephB