Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugless Power Wireless Charging Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the device connect into the charging harness on the Tesla? I wasn't able to find that detail on the website.

I would be curious to find out how it hooks up too. I can assume that it's just going in on the same pins the J1772 has into the car. Perhaps they have other smarts. Surprised a response has not been coming from the Plugless employee in all this time.

-Randy

I would be curious to find out how it hooks up too. I can assume that it's just going in on the same pins the J1772 has into the car. Perhaps they have other smarts. Surprised a response has not been coming from the Plugless employee in all this time.

-Randy

I understand that it's a completely reversible installation and installs under the frunk (front trunk), so it may just be a plug / junction that they connect to in that area. After it's installed, you can't tell that it's there if you look under the car. The components are also covered by a three year warranty.

From their site:

Will Plugless affect my vehicle warranty?
No. Like any other fully-reversible vehicle upgrade, adding Plugless as an aftermarket accessory can’t automatically void your warranty. In more than 3 years of installations across the USA and Canada there’s not been one manufacturer warranty issue.

We further protect Plugless owners with our own industry-leading “Love It” Guarantee, which specifically states that if there’s any impact to your vehicle warranty caused by Plugless, we will cover the costs. So if there’s any risk with your warranty, it’s on us.

More at Plugless Charging for Tesla Model S Questions Answered

Anyone got it installed for the Tesla?

I believe they've done many installations already. Here's one of them:

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be ANY new news at Plugless power since I got involved. No blog entries. No FaceBook updates. I fear they have gone out of business. Someone posted to Plugless Steve's page here (PluglessSteve was last seen: Sep 13, 2017) that Plugless is NO LONGER selling the Model S plugless charging solution, so getting one for the Model 3 is probably NOT going to happen... Sad

-Randy

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be ANY new news at Plugless power since I got involved...Plugless is NO LONGER selling the Model S plugless...
My understanding is that the model 3 didn't have the connectors that the S (and presumably the X) had. I wonder if any plugless devices will show up for secondary sale? And if any other, future induction standards will get built as aftermarket for the S? I know the Qi group has this pretty far out on their strategy, beyond the multiple hundred watt appliance Phillips standard they are currently adding.

I contacted Plugless Power late last year and did get a response. They were working on a big wireless charging-related project at the time, which hopefully is complete or nearing completion. I really wish they'd launch the Model X and 3 versions of their product. I think they have a huge market just for the X, S and 3 alone. Hopefully they'll be updating their Twitter and Facebook pages soon.

I did read somewhere that the hardware they install on your car, to receive the power, takes care to disconnect the wireless power when power is provided to the charge port. I think the car is able to drive when receiving wireless power, but perhaps you have to hit Stop Charging before the cars smarts will let you put it in gear.

-Randy

... I wonder if any plugless devices will show up for secondary sale? ...
I just checked eBay sold listings and found none but this was interesting. I wonder if Plugless would sell just the Tesla side coil to their dealers? And if they did, could you mix and match Gen1 bottom coil and Gen2 top?

...Also curious as to what would happen if you tried to use the charge port while on plugless? One takes priority? Both are additive? Neither work?

My guess is that the car thinks the charger is plugged in and won't summon while on plugless...
It can't be just a circuit that disengages when the car is plugged in, although clearly it does that too, because the car can't be driven while plugged in. So either the car doesn't consider Plugless charging as plugged in, which is possible as the car may have a physical plug connection or charge port open setting that prevents driving, different from simply charging. Or Plugless uses some car setting to know when to stop charging, like maybe it can only charge is sleep mode, which would mean you could summon it as summon requires the car to be awake.

I just checked eBay sold listings and found none but this was interesting. I wonder if Plugless would sell just the Tesla side coil to their dealers? And if they did, could you mix and match Gen1 bottom coil and Gen2 top?

I would love to see that, but I don't think they're developing products right now. I suspect they have a minimum of employees working on projects as their Twitter account hasn't been updated for more than two years, and their product page shows an older version of the Model S. The Model 3 is not even listed on their product page yet (https://www.pluglesspower.com/shop). I am truly hoping they can grow and update their product to support the Model 3, X and the Model Y, Roadster and pickup truck when production starts on those.