Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlugShare now optimized for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugshare app lists the two plugs as
Tesla (Roadster)
and Tesla (Model S)

Since the Model X and I assume Model E will all
Use same 'Model S' connector I thought Plugshare should update that term to at least include Model X. What is the official name of the new Tesla plug (I thought it was simply the Tesla connector)?

They should also add a Tesla Supercharger designation.

You may need to update your Plugshare app... All versions of Plugshare I use (iOS app, web, Tesla-optimized web) include options for Supercharger, Model S HPWC and Roadster HPWC (which should be just "HPC"). I'm sure at some point they'll change the label to include the Model X and E...

Here's the list of "compatible outlets" from the Tesla-optimized web version of Plugshare:

Model S High Power Wall Connector

SuperCharger

CHAdeMO Quick Charge

Nema 14-50

120v Wall Outlet

J1772 EV Plug

Roadster HPWC

Europlug

Type 2

Type 3

Wall Outlet

A bit off-topic, but where do you live do people with NEMA 14-30 and the like end up checking Nema 14-50, because it's the "closest" choice?

I suspect that's because Plugshare used to label it as "Dryer Outlet" -- which is a 14-30. They really should list the various NEMA options. Unfortunately, that leads to garbage data (not good in a crowdsourced app...)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I have 3.8.3 and always update my iOS apps when notified. Maybe there is a different version.

I'm also on 3.8.3... Use the Gear in the lower right to select what types of chargers are displayed... Supercharger is one of the options...

Plugshare app lists the two plugs as
Tesla (Roadster)
and Tesla (Model S)

Since the Model X and I assume Model E will all
Use same 'Model S' connector I thought Plugshare should update that term to at least include Model X. What is the official name of the new Tesla plug (I thought it was simply the Tesla connector)?

Tesla calls it Tesla II or TSLA 2. The part that you plug into your car is called a "connector" and the inlet in your car is technically a plug but it would be confusing if people called it that so it's called an inlet. Taken together, the inlet and connector are called a "coupler."

Thank you for such great feedback. It is always great to hear what users specifically like about a new feature.

Could you make individual fields for each so when you click on the station it appears with the information? I see a blank field for 'additional information including amps' but having defined numerical fields would allow you to maybe sort for J1772 stations greater than 40A for example. Thanks.

Hotel and Food filters

I have tried Plugshare on my Model S several times, but even with full 5 bars of connectivity the display is far too slow for me to use,
so I use Plugshare App on my iPad exclusively. This App now has filters for hotels and food locations, which are valuable to me. However I keep finding Plugshare locations at motel/hotels that are not on the filter. How does one flag a site with either food or lodging ?

Over the past few years in my LEAF I have charged at 50+ public locations, and only one or two were 240V. It just is extremely rare in commercial world, but I imagine bed and breakfasts might have 240V.

Yes, this is by far the most important issue. One of the reasons I don't use PlugShare. (The other is the percentage of stations that are employee-only or simply don't exist.)

Thank you for these suggestions. We appreciate feedback from our users and always trying to improve PlugShare. I will pass these along to our developers.

- - - Updated - - -

Great site. I was wondering if there was a way to change the map orientation from "North Up" to "Direction Up" as in the Tesla nav system?
We are not integrated into the Tesla Nav system. That is something you would have to contact Tesla about. We hope to be integrated in the Nav system someday!

- - - Updated - - -

Great site, but some reason the settings keep resetting to NOT show "Model S High Power Wall Connector."

I just launched the Tesla specific site in Firefox and the site also defaulted to not displaying the S HPWC.
I will ask our developers to look into this. If you have any other questions or issues please send us an e-mail to [email protected]

- - - Updated - - -

A possible request that I had suggested on another thread was for Plugshare to not just list amps, but also volts. As an example from one of my recent long roadtrips, we used a lot of Sun Country chargers that tend to be listed as 'CS90/80 amps'. If a charger is 80 amps/240 volts, you can actually get 80 km/hour charge with a twin charger. However, most industrial-type installs of Sun Country chargers tend to only be 200-ish volts, so it mean you can only get about 69 km/hour. That said, there are actually some examples of 80 amp Sun Country chargers that are either residential, or near-residential-type, than have proper 240 volts. For example there is a 'car cafe' restaurant/coffee shop in Trois-Riviers, PQ that has the 80/240 combo, which gave us the full 80 km/hour. I mostly mention it because if you are doing a longer road trip, the difference between 80 km/hour and 69 km/hour charge rate is huge. So, it would be great to know volts as a general rule.
Under the check-in option you can now add volts and amps.
Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 11.45.26 AM.png

You can also edit the description, too, so your comment doesn't get lost as it gets older. At least note if it's 208 vs 240V and it's max pilot signal...
Thank you for mentioning that. The beauty of PlugShare is that it partly a crowdsourced app. By editing station descriptions and updating with the correct information it really helps out the rest of the Tesla and EV community.