Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlugShare now optimized for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A possible request that I had suggested on another thread was for Plugshare to not just list amps, but also volts. ...

I've been sending suggestions to Plugshare for 3 years, and many others for longer than that, asking them to allow users to post more details such as amps and volts, especially amps, and allow filtering for these things. We've been largely ignored, especially the first few years. They've made small improvements but still have only one type of J1772 and nowhere to enter amps. Pretty lame.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

We recently redesigned PlugShare.com specifically for the Model S browser. To give it a whirl, just open the page in your car. Please let us know what you think.

Lucas

Lucas,
I've got my home charger listed on plugshare but I'm also getting my extended family to add charging resources to make it easier for me to visit. I wouldn't mind listing their addresses as well, with their permission obviously, but I don't really want to create new accounts for them just to show their location. Can you add multiple/alternate "home" locations to your features? I could see this coming in handy for people with second/vacation homes as well.

Nice job on the redesign.

I've been sending suggestions to Plugshare for 3 years, and many others for longer than that, asking them to allow users to post more details such as amps and volts, especially amps, and allow filtering for these things. We've been largely ignored, especially the first few years. They've made small improvements but still have only one type of J1772 and nowhere to enter amps. Pretty lame.

I've been able to edit the "Description" on the few chargers that I've used to include the power, voltage/current. You can view that information when you click on the charger icon without having to dig through the comments. It would indeed be useful if a user could filter by charger power. That would probably require a separate field within the information popup.

I've been able to edit the "Description" on the few chargers that I've used to include the power, voltage/current. You can view that information when you click on the charger icon without having to dig through the comments. It would indeed be useful if a user could filter by charger power. That would probably require a separate field within the information popup.

That's just it - they need separate fields in the setup if it's going to be filtered. That's what many of us have been asking for for years. It took a long time just to get them to have a separate charger type for HPWC. Before they did that we recommended they have 2 types - Roadster HPC and MS HPWC. Of course they didn't pay attention and just had one HPC type at first. Eventually they fixed it but you would think simple things like this would be obvious right from the start.

I mostly mention it because if you are doing a longer road trip, the difference between 80 km/hour and 69 km/hour charge rate is huge. So, it would be great to know volts as a general rule.

We definitely need a way to filter by maximum charger amperage, but voltage could be more difficult to implement since it can vary wildly based on the service load at any given time (unless the facility has its own dedicated power).

Nice job on the Tesla friendly site for plugshare.

i was playing with it yesterday -- looks like search isn't working. It loaded maps in San Francisco by default (I don't have 10.9 yet...), but would not go to Phoenix after trying an address search, city only search or zip code search... Finally just zoomed out and moved the map manually...

perhaps it needs a default zip code to load?

For voltage in the USA, it's really either 208V or 240V.

Yes, I know. However, the voltage can vary depending on service load. (ie: a 208V system with no load shows 208V, but put a load on it and it can drop to 200V or even 196V). Similar thing can occur with a 240V system since they are often shared.

This is a minor change but it can still swing charge rate by a few mph.

We definitely need a way to filter by maximum charger amperage, but voltage could be more difficult to implement since it can vary wildly based on the service load at any given time (unless the facility has its own dedicated power).

I think the only meaningful difference is whether it's 208/240 (also called "high line") voltage or just "low line" residential split-phase 120v.

I think the only meaningful difference is whether it's 208/240 (also called "high line") voltage or just "low line" residential split-phase 120v.
No, the meaningful difference in charge rate we're discussing is the difference between 208V and 240V. It can add up to quite a difference in range over several hours charging, especially if the 208 is really 200 or less. 120v outlets don't even enter into this discussion.

I think that they shoul add a kw field as then you get the value that actually mean something
208v 70a = 14.5kw
208v 50a = 10.4kw
208v 30a = 6.2kw
240v 70a = 16.8kw
240v 50a = 12kw
240v 30a = 7.2kw

Sure a 208 connection may only give 200 but that is only 0.5kw not enuf for me to select a different charger but if the charger down the road is a higher amp or 240v I might want to move the car

In my role at Plug In America, in January, I attended a National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) workgroup that is drafting a proposal to the National Weights and Measure committee for the regulations that will regulate EV charging equipment, the same way the sale of everything that can be weighed or measured, from gasoline to bananas, is regulated.

They are moving toward requiring that all EV charging stations installed after a certain date be labeled with the power level available in kW. It would be nice for PlugShare (and all of the other charging map vendors) to get ahead of that and start allowing us to enter that data. Only Tesla owners get easy access to volts and amps while charging, but we could contribute a lot of data. There's even talk of OVMS collecting that data automatically (with owner permission and control).

By the way, I've seen J1772 stations deliver everywhere from 250V to 187V, that's a big swing in charge rate even at the same current level. It would be a big step forward to have them labeled with current limit and either 240V or 208V service.

In my role at Plug In America, in January, I attended a National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) workgroup that is drafting a proposal to the National Weights and Measure committee for the regulations that will regulate EV charging equipment, the same way the sale of everything that can be weighed or measured, from gasoline to bananas, is regulated.

They are moving toward requiring that all EV charging stations installed after a certain date be labeled with the power level available in kW. It would be nice for PlugShare (and all of the other charging map vendors) to get ahead of that and start allowing us to enter that data. Only Tesla owners get easy access to volts and amps while charging, but we could contribute a lot of data. There's even talk of OVMS collecting that data automatically (with owner permission and control).

By the way, I've seen J1772 stations deliver everywhere from 250V to 187V, that's a big swing in charge rate even at the same current level. It would be a big step forward to have them labeled with current limit and either 240V or 208V service.
Tom, this would be great information to have. What were the thoughts about who should be responsible for providing the label? I don't think it could be the manufacturer, as they wouldn't know whether a unit that could operate on either is connected to a 208V or 240V circuit, or if the circuit voltage is within tolerance.

Tom, this would be great information to have. What were the thoughts about who should be responsible for providing the label? I don't think it could be the manufacturer, as they wouldn't know whether a unit that could operate on either is connected to a 208V or 240V circuit, or if the circuit voltage is within tolerance.

I'd be happy to throw on a sticky note with the info after I charge, for anyone who comes after... :biggrin:

They are moving toward requiring that all EV charging stations installed after a certain date be labeled with the power level available in kW.

Most electrical products are rated in Volts and Amps (Power = Volts x Amps). Since EVSE are typically installed on either 208 or 240 volt circuits in North America, they would have to post two nominal values. My electric water heater has two power ratings on it for this very reason, although most electric heating devices (dryers, stoves) utilize elements that are voltage specific.

To make matters more confusing, Power will drop if the voltage drops, and typically you will not see "nominal" 208 or 240 volts at the EVSE utilization point.

You're right, it's not something that's known at the time of manufacture.

The proposal isn't done, but it would likely involve a testing procedure done at the time of installation by putting on a load at the current limit (think multiple space heaters, or a Model S) and measuring power output from the station. Then, just like gas pumps and grocery store scales, if a consumer files a complaint about a station underperforming, it could be tested with a standard procedure to determine if there's any monkey business going on.

This stuff is going to matter a lot when EVs aren't the oddballs, but a majority of the cars on the road, and public charging is as common and normal as gas stations and grocery stores.

It would also help if all automakers showed the volts/amps or power to the driver, then every car charging session would be an inspection test and no one would ever get away with putting up a 200V/15A station and claiming it's 240V/30A, but that's outside of NIST's mission.

I suspect that this will work itself out over time. What I mean is that once Tesla comes out with more vehicles, Tesla's standard will make everything else obsolete. There is no way in hell I'm going to ever buy an EV that I have to hunt for charging stations, pray that they work when I get there, and pay whatever they ask. The public(except for the die hards) isn't going to do this either, so cars like the currently manufactured Leaf's are either going to be "in town" vehicles, or become obsolete.

I suspect that this will work itself out over time. What I mean is that once Tesla comes out with more vehicles, Tesla's standard will make everything else obsolete. There is no way in hell I'm going to ever buy an EV that I have to hunt for charging stations, pray that they work when I get there, and pay whatever they ask. The public(except for the die hards) isn't going to do this either, so cars like the currently manufactured Leaf's are either going to be "in town" vehicles, or become obsolete.
I thought Leafs always were "in town" vehicles