TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pointy roof for aerodynamics?

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Interior & Exterior' started by tpoltron, Nov 23, 2019.

1. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

The only thing that grates on me about the Cybertruck design is the single pointy cab-forward roof peak. At first I wondered if that was just a stylish way to fit cowboy hats but then, more seriously, if it’s a close enough approximation to a teardrop to actually make it much more aerodynamic than a traditional pickup truck? It does really remind me of a F117 Stealth Fighter jet. I’d love some aerodynamics engineers to weigh in.

2. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

The roof point will create flow separation, which is detrimental to efficiency, as it increases drag. How much is hard to say. The long sloped rear half of the truck will help, but aerodynamics were certainly not a priority with this design. This is also evident with the wheel/tire placement (they protrude a lot), fender flares, and inset side windows.

3. UCF3

UCF3 Member

This has been discussed several times. Do a search for deeper stats

4. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Motortrend wrote a paragraph about that:

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend

Apparently the breakover is shallow enough it doesn't really trip the airflow.

5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said. But Aerodynamics certainly was *a* priority - hence the splitter nose and very steeply raked profile and retracting door handles.

As you note, they were willing to compromise on it for other aspects in places - it isn't the only priority - but it certainly is a driving factor for the design, and I'm sure the Cybertruck slips through the air more easily than either your average modern pickup or any of the renderings I saw before the release, if likely not quite as easily as say a Model X of similar size..

6. tpoltron

tpoltron Member