Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 - Courtesy Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main problem with the Polestar 2 is that it’s built on the same CMA platform that underpins cars like the Volvo XC40 rather than a bespoke EV platform like the model 3. This means you get less cabin space as the platform has to able to cope with things like different engine types, gearboxes and exhausts. It’s also pretty heavy at something like 300Kg more than a model 3, though I don’t know how much that has to do with the platform.

From what I understand the Polestar 3, which has just been unveiled, and Volvo EX90 (the XC90 replacement due next month) shouldn’t have the same compromises as they are designed as EVs from the ground up (on the new SPA2 platform that will also be used for the Volvo S60 replacement). The Polestar 3 is pretty pricey though at £79,900 for the launch edition though throw in the cost of non-silver paint, leather interior and the performance pack (way overpriced for what it offers) and you are looking at £91,500.
Not to mention that the Polestar 3 weighs 2.6t and has a cd of 0.3, and therefore will be inefficient compared to a Tesla M3 or MY

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
We test drove a Polestar2 early this year and liked it for many reasons. Even though we could have actually gotten one off the lot that day, we declined for interior design reasons. We both found the huge console unnecessarily and overwhelmingly wide reducing driver and passenger space. It felt like we were getting into a tiny fighter cockpit rather than a car. It became uncomfortable even after a short test drive.
Second this. I drove one, and I'm bigish. 6'4 and 220lb. The polestar was snug! I actually wanted the PS2. I took for test drive.... And it made me question. Then took the M3 for a test drive and it chang d my mind. PD2 seems so close to a great car. Just isn't.

heated steering wheel seems kind of redundant when you have cabin preheat
I thought that until winter properly kicked in (we had a M3 without heated wheel) and the steering wheel was still ice cold even with a pre-heated interior. Our MX at the time had a heated wheel and was much better on a freezing cold morning. So I now fully appreciate having a heated steering wheel in my MY. It's also better than the one in our MX which I found got too hot for my liking after a few minutes!

I much prefer a powered tailgate in general too, but I wish Tesla would refine their soft-closing mech a bit. Sometimes it just slams it shut quite crudely! I had the same issue with our M3 and our other MY. Our MX boot would consistently soft-close, so they can do it!

Reactions: Cardo
I remember being quite excited about the Polestar 2 on launch and thought I might even choose one over a Tesla M3 at the time. But in the end I decided that the M3 was a better overall package (prefer the Tesla UI and SuC convenience) and now the MY even better again with its more versatile boot.

When I see a P2 on the road now, it strikes me how small it actually is in real life. I imagined a bigger car similar to what the MY is.

Reactions: pipestem
I remember being quite excited about the Polestar 2 on launch and thought I might even choose one over a Tesla M3 at the time. But in the end I decided that the M3 was a better overall package (prefer the Tesla UI and SuC convenience) and now the MY even better again with its more versatile boot.

When I see a P2 on the road now, it strikes me how small it actually is in real life. I imagined a bigger car similar to what the MY is.

I felt the same, I feel like its about $8k overpriced for what you get, no surprise there. Maybe the base dual motor would be ok but a Tess is a much better deal. And then no good cupholders, really? And 150 miles to the nearest dealer shop. Just too much to ask.

Polestar and BMW design leadership are obviously sharing notes at the moment, both in a contest to create cars that are the most memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Polestar exterior styling is generally good to my eye (apart from the P3 which looks like a rebadged Chinese white label job), but the more fundamental and human-factors design decisions are badly misjudged to me, which is disappointing. The android tablet and lack of boot / storage in the 2 are both inexcusable problems for a car that is both expensive, and quite large (especially considering it's technically a hatchback also). I say technically because you would never believe it looking at the space inside.

Also, in relation to the 3... why do you need the model name and material composition of your seat printed on your seat. You know.. the thing you sit on every time you drive? Who is virtue signalling that hard in 80k + car?! It's just trinketry over substance, and really stinks of overzealous marketing involvement instead of improving on the design fundamentals.