Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Polestar unveiled the Polestar 3 today, impressive vehicle but just over the $80K SUV limit to qualify for the IRA credit. I guess they were too far along in the design to modify based on the credit, but a real miss since they are going to manufacture in the US. I'd get it at $79.9K to qualify and then expect people to buy up options to get into the 80s and 90s. So as an investment (I'm an investor) it feels like a miss.

Reactions: Pricedm
^^^^ Agree about the miss on price/$80k ceiling for BEV SUV USA federal tax credit.

Also--the statement along the lines of 'can we stop talking about battery design (22 minutes into the YouTube presentation).' <-- well, no! Efficiency is a key metric. "400V lithium-ion battery, 111 kWh capacity, 17 modules/Range up to 300 mi (EPA)" goes to show how superior Lucid is with their technology compared to what Polestar is offering.

Reactions: Dayreg
^^^^ Agree about the miss on price/$80k ceiling for BEV SUV USA federal tax credit.

Also--the statement along the lines of 'can we stop talking about battery design (22 minutes into the YouTube presentation).' <-- well, no! Efficiency is a key metric. "400V lithium-ion battery, 111 kWh capacity, 17 modules/Range up to 300 mi (EPA)" goes to show how superior Lucid is with their technology compared to what Polestar is offering.
Range seems rubbish compared to a model y given the enormous (and presumably very weighty battery). Why haven’t the media picked up on it?

Reactions: Pricedm
They’re using radar and USS and tech that’s proven reliable for decades unlike the cameras in my Y that can’t tell the difference between rain and dirt or AHB that act like fairground lights! The Y cameras can’t cope with nighttime when there are no road lights - common on the west coast of Scotland or in sunlight. But I’m told it’s within spec.

Tesla removing hardware tech in a car that I’ve purchased - USS - when my cameras can’t cope with other tasks - is frustrating.

Yes please Polestar with a side order of adaptive air suspension and luxury interior choices!

Shame I have to wait a year for it.

Last edited:
This is a BMW iX competitor with 300 miles range, air suspension, adaptive dampers, torque vectoring, B&W stereo, Volvo based super seats, digital mirror led light, message seat, 220 kg towing capacity and same interior space and outside dimensions as iX.
Not a Y competitor.

Imo to big rear seat leg room and too small boot, just as the iX.

Reactions: Caramel
This is not even an SUV. It's a hatchback. As far as performance, we are now past the 0-60 gimmick. What else can it do? In this case, stock for stock, I bet it might handle better than any of Teslas similar offerings with a nicer interior, better suspension, brakes, luxury features, design etc. etc.

As far as range, we all know Tesla range is always an exaggeration.

Bump to this old thread, re the above early pre-production model preview/review. The thing is a big heavy beast with a huge battery and only middling range. I have had hopes for Polestar, but this particular vehicle does not impress me all that much. But the reviewer clearly liked it, and maybe others will as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up