Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

polestar? serious competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are a very good looking vehicle in person. They have a great interior. They don’t have too bad of range or performance. It’s an option but I don’t see it taking a bunch of sales from Tesla.

Cant help but wonder what happens when the warranty runs out.

Last edited:
In Norway; 6700 Polestar 2 sold in total, 3900 in 2021.
Model 3 has 34000 in total, 10800 in 2021, but the 3 has been in sale a year longer.
Also, Polestar just recently released a standard range battery and RWD.

In other words, a serious competitor, not disrupting, but taking a good 20-25% of the middle size EV sedan/hatch sales. (Only these 2 cars in this class as for now - next year P7, ET7, EQE, i4)

I'm an ex-Volvo guy, recently defected to Tesla. I assume Volvo dealers will be tasked with servicing Polestars, which doesn't inspire much confidence.

In my experience, most of the mechanics^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H technicians are already out of their depth troubleshooting Volvo's current generation of ICE/PHEV cars. Considering how much of the underpinnings are common between the two brands, I expect the same will be true for Polestar.

They do make nice comfy cars though. My 2018 XC60 was like driving a sofa.

Test drove the Polestar 2 before buying my MYP. It was very comfortable inside, much preferred the interior. Felt more premium than the Tesla. Drove nicely, with plenty of power.

A few dealbreakers though: Headroom in the back was complety inadequate. Infotainment system felt pretty clunky and inelegant. It’s version of Autopilot was pretty good, but shut off entirely at a standstill of more than a couple seconds, so is useless in traffic. Combined with significantly less range and no supercharging, I couldn’t love it as much as I wanted to.

But I did want to, because it’s cool and unique and feels like a quality product with a few shortcomings.

Polestar is serious competition. Well definitely not in terms of USA sales numbers, at least not yet, but the Polestar 2 is a legit good EV, good car in general, and for my recent car shopping it came down to a really tough decision between Polestar 2 Performance and Model 3 Performance.

To me the Polestar 2 is more a Model 3 competitor than Model Y, but one might reasonably cross-shop all of the similarly-priced mid-sized EVs. My wife and I did at least! (MYLR, M3LR, M3P, P2 P, Mach-E GT PE, and two luxury-ish ICE crossovers that were decent cars but totally outclassed by all of these EVs.)

The P2 is actually shorter length than the M3, it's certainly much smaller than MY. The hatch does make the P2 better for cargo than the M3, but not as good as MY due to MY's much bigger size and taller cargo area. P2 and M3 both drive much better than MY though...it's a tradeoff.
It still is more practical to load than a Model 3, and seating position is higher. The driver position is more cockpit like than the 3. The rear battery is placed in a mid tunnel at the rear floor, which is a drawback.
I 100% agree with all of that, but the battery tunnel is also a benefit. P2 rear seat is a lot higher off the floor than M3. As a tall-ish person I find the P2 way more comfortable in the back. In back of the M3 my knees are in my face. P2 rear legroom is lacking - that shorter length - but there was just enough to plausibly sit behind myself. MY back seat blows away both M3 and P2 of course.

If we are talking competition against Tesla, it is probably a moot question, since Teslas are sold out for months and some models even years.

Is Polestar serious competition against ICE cars, yes. As we (I believe) reach the tipping point in a year or so where almost nobody buys an ICE, all decent EVs will be sold out, including all Polestars that they can make.

The Polestar 2 is actually quite impressive given that it's built on an existing ICE platform (Volvo CMA). But Polestar 3 and onward will be more distanced from Volvo and built on a completely new platform (SPA2 or Geely SEA), which will ultimately support things like 800v architecture, larger battery packs, etc. The Zeekr 001 is a good example of what these platforms will enable - 360kw kW charging, 3.8s 0-60, 442 mile (WLTP) range, etc.

I think the Polestar 3 will be surprisingly good, and put Polestar more on the radar for people.

They do plan to rely on Volvo service centers and other existing infrastructure, which could be an advantage. But being tied to a legacy manufacturer is also a pretty big risk, as evidenced by the dealer association lawsuit in Illinois preventing from opening spaces in the 3rd largest US market.

Last edited:
For those interested in racing, it does very good at the Nürburgring also according to those that can drive.

I just picked this one because of the cool picture, not the provoking title. Misha Charoudin loves the M3P also.

Reactions: tm1v2
Fifth Gear is just back on and now they're EV focused with the latest show Recharged. They did a Model 3 LR vs Polestar 2 with Performance Pack in the first EP. I miss watching Vicki and Tiff, and Jason's okay too. But Tiff isn't in the reboot I don't think.

Cliff notes, it's a decent battle but Polestar is over half a second slower on a 47-48 second lap with ex f1 driver Chandhok behind the wheel.

My neighbor works for Honda HQ Torrance California secretly had a Polestar for a month to evaluate for corporate. I was excited to see it when he brought it home. We struck a conversation and he really admired my Y and wanted a 7 seater and his friend also had one and said great things. He despised the Polestar and was not impressed. He was also not too happy about his discontinued 100 mile range Clarity EV. Every time he sees he me would ask how much I like the Y.