Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SHOULD TESLA BE WORRIED? (2022 Mercedes-Benz EQB Starts at $10k Less Than a Tesla Model Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure it is. You get a great car for a lower price if you do not need the performance. It is the same with Tesla making FSD a purchase for ownership of car for a lot, or just subscribe when you need it option. I don't make long trips very often and might buy FSD for the few trips where I will use of it. Also, if some buys a used car, they can add it.
That price for that performance every year?

Sorry but I’m not impressed.

Reactions: Yelobird and Bouba
Then don't buy it. Same as FSD. Being able to add the feature after the fact is good thing. Better than having to buy a new car.
I won’t.

And I’m not complaining about the fact that it’s an after original purchase add on. In fact I do like those. When reasonably priced for what you get.

A better comparison is the Model 3/Y acceleration boost fees and end results.

BTW, I have FSD but I paid 5k for all of it including TACC, AP, EAP, FSD. Originally when I purchased my model S, it just had dumb cruise control. I wouldn’t buy FSD at these rates for what it does today.

I won’t.

And I’m not complaining about the fact that it’s an after original purchase add on. In fact I do like those. When reasonably priced for what you get.

A better comparison is the Model 3/Y acceleration boost fees and end results.

BTW, I have FSD but I paid 5k for all of it including TACC, AP, EAP, FSD. Originally when I purchased my model S, it just had dumb cruise control. I wouldn’t buy FSD at these rates for what it does today.
I agree that the performance boast is not that great. It's a Mercedes issue that they were not able to achieve more with this particular car. The automakers all seem to be exploring the concept of paying additional fees after you buy the car to get upgraded features. It's a new revenue stream. Similar to how software is going to a subscription model with different rates for different levels of functionality.

Reactions: SO16
An aside from the article a bit, but we have taken 3 long distance trips with our 9 month old Model 3. Why would I even want to mess with any other charging network?We looked out of curiosity at other networks. Difficult to use, requite charge cards, etc. Many were broken and in bad shape. No, at this point the Tesla Supercharging network is a big plus for buying a Tesla.
Time will fix evergthing, What happens when Tesla opens up their charging system to everyone?

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I’ve been driving electric cars since 2015. Charging parity? Not even close. If you drive long distances in the northeast, you better own a Tesla or plan on walking. EVgo is just plain terrible, EA is sketchy. ChargePoint is fairly good. Tesla has nothing to worry about for awhile.
Exactly correct. I have around16,000 road miles in EVs. More than a few, less than some. 3,000 miles in a Chevy Bolt (Cape Cod to south of Tucson). It was an "adventure." "EA is sketchy?" You sir are a wild-eyed optimist!

Around 13,000 miles in a Tesla MY; AZ>Cape Cod twice and CA once. No issues. Oh, wait. In TX I had a Supercharger site only deliver around 55kW of power. Filled up just enough to get me to the next SC. That was the extent of my "non-working" SC experience.

I'm giving a lecture today on EVs (wrote a book about 'em). What I will tell my audience is this; if you want an EV for local use than just about any EV will do. If you plan on using your EV for distance travel, then you're only option as of today would be a Tesla. End of discussion.

I'd like it to be otherwise, but that is the reality of today's EV charging infrastructure.

Rich

I think it looks good. 🤷‍♂️ Hopefully more competition at the sub-$60K pricing, coupled with the economy, will push prices downward.

When we were looking for cars to replace my wife's car, we considered a few non-Teslas. At the same price, due to dealer markups, it didnt make sense for us to not go Tesla. However, if we could've found one of the other cars in my wife's choices, for noticeably cheaper than the MY, we likely would have done so. We dont roadtrip often; when we do, we generally rent a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigNerd
Exactly correct. I have around16,000 road miles in EVs. More than a few, less than some. 3,000 miles in a Chevy Bolt (Cape Cod to south of Tucson). It was an "adventure." "EA is sketchy?" You sir are a wild-eyed optimist!

Around 13,000 miles in a Tesla MY; AZ>Cape Cod twice and CA once. No issues. Oh, wait. In TX I had a Supercharger site only deliver around 55kW of power. Filled up just enough to get me to the next SC. That was the extent of my "non-working" SC experience.

I'm giving a lecture today on EVs (wrote a book about 'em). What I will tell my audience is this; if you want an EV for local use than just about any EV will do. If you plan on using your EV for distance travel, then you're only option as of today would be a Tesla. End of discussion.

I'd like it to be otherwise, but that is the reality of today's EV charging infrastructure.

Rich
Will be getting that book. Thanks.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
As infrastructure improves (GM and Ford dealerships building EV charging networks), I think you may see lower range/priced EVs as a category. Many people do not commute over 100 miles per day (and 12k/year warranties actually put you at about 30mi/day) so I can see budget 100mi EVs becoming a thing. Lighter battery, lower cost could open up a $20k price point (Bolt EV and Leaf non-Plus) almost there.

Then for those people who need 300mi range, that's where you'll see the over $50k (more like) $60k price range... basically $20k per 100mi seems like a good factor.

I used to have range anxiety which is why I bought a PHEV first... then went Tesla for my first EV because of Supercharging network (although I bought the lowest range Y available). I've used Supercharging like 3 or 4 times... and mostly just to try it out... and use Level 1 at home... so yeah... range not a problem for us... and had some of the other non-Tesla options been available (non supply chain inflated), would have been happy with those too (and we say this from experience because we have a Leaf Plus... could have saved money with just the Leaf).

Reactions: Freshness