Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 81% of Prospective Model 3 Owners Say They Won’t Pay Upfront For Full Self-Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]It seems most prospective Model 3 owners aren’t willing to shell out cash upfront for a $3,000 “full self-driving capability” option that is likely years away from becoming available to engage.

In a poll posted by jsraw 81.3% (347) of respondents said they will not pay for the feature at purchase. Adding the option later will cost an additional $1,000. Of respondents, 18.7% said they will pay for FSD upfront.

According to Tesla’s website, FSD “doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.”

Elon Musk has said that level 5 autonomous driving is possible with second generation Autopilot and the FSD option, meaning the car is fully autonomous in any and all conditions. During his TED talk in April, Musk said the company plans to conduct by the end of 2017 a coast-to-coast demo drive from California to New York without the driver touching the wheel.

Obviously, there will be regulatory hurdles ahead and Musk has said it will likely be two years before owners will be able to engage FSD capability.

See a few comments on the poll below, or go to the thread here.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.24.50-PM.png
Swift

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.16.15-PM.png
EinSV

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.02-PM.png
jason1466

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.59-PM.png
Waiting4M3

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.21.06-PM.png
Enginerd[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
FSD will be the coolest thing when it arrives. It will enable me to take trips that are currently impractical or unsafe (due to driving while tired). It will enable my parents to maintain their independent mobility after the DMV takes away their licenses for being too old. It will probably save the life of someone I know within my lifetime. Tesla is the only company that gets this, and I am perfectly happy to make this small investment in R&D and participate in the future.

Looks like I'll be roasted mercilessly for this opinion. Whatever. I'm all in.

FSD will be the coolest thing when it arrives. It will enable me to take trips that are currently impractical or unsafe (due to driving while tired). It will enable my parents to maintain their independent mobility after the DMV takes away their licenses for being too old. It will probably save the life of someone I know within my lifetime. Tesla is the only company that gets this, and I am perfectly happy to make this small investment in R&D and participate in the future.

Looks like I'll be roasted mercilessly for this opinion. Whatever. I'm all in.

I'm with you but Elon time is particularly bad regarding AP2 development and release. I have until probably December to decide and if I don't see any significant EAP/FSD improvements I'll probably just go EAP for now.

It's entirely possible you might pay for FSD and only the next owner sees the benefits.

Tesla is the only company that gets this, and I am perfectly happy to make this small investment in R&D and participate in the future.

Same here.

It's entirely possible you might pay for FSD and only the next owner sees the benefits.

I typically have kept new cars over ten years or until they have no value left, which I expect will be a long time for M3.

So since I will be the 'next' owner, that isn't going to be problem for me.

Why is it that you think this though... just because others are doing it? What does it provide that you need for full self driving that cameras and radar do not?
There are things that can fool cameras and radar into thinking the path is safe when it's not. For example, curbs, sudden drop-offs, and irregular surfaces (such as a dirt road). The goal is to build a 3D model of the outside world, so the car can safely navigate. Cameras can make good guesses most of the time, but a laser rangefinder would provide definitive information.

I just changed my vote to yes. First because putting FSD in the framing of "corporate Kickstarter" changes my perspective on the expenditure (in a positive way) and secondly because I have been supporting Tesla since the Roadster days and every dollar I have spent or invested in the company has resulted in the most amazingly transformative technology the auto industry has seen since Henry Ford. Unfortunately, there are two scourges that have plagued automobiles since Henry Ford's days: Air pollution and fatalities. Tesla is addressing both so I vote yes.

There are things that can fool cameras and radar into thinking the path is safe when it's not. For example, curbs, sudden drop-offs, and irregular surfaces (such as a dirt road). The goal is to build a 3D model of the outside world, so the car can safely navigate. Cameras can make good guesses most of the time, but a laser rangefinder would provide definitive information.
Lidar under $70,000 doesn't have great vertical resolution to see irregular surfaces at a distance unless the irregularity is horizontal.
See vertical resolution:
Lidar_Map_1.jpg

LiDAR can also be fooled like other technology
http://gizmodo.com/a-60-hack-can-fool-the-lidar-sensors-used-on-most-self-1729272292

Reactions: Robert831
I'm genuinely surprised at the response here. I guess this isn't something I've spent much time thinking about.

My answer is and has always easily been "yes."

I'm young. I've been an investor in TSLA for a few years now because I believe in the products and the future. The idea of FSD is one we've all dreamt about. I don't expect my car to drive itself when I purchase it at the end of this or beginning of next year.

I do anticipate that features of FSD will be sporadically rolled out (stop sign/red light recognition, for example). I also probably have a more optimistic expectation of when such features will be available, so much so that I believe some features may be rolled out and hover in a gray area of legislation, forcing the conversation along.

Most importantly, if I had the means to be an early adopter of Tesla cars, as in a current owner, I would be. Investing in the future of the company is important for its growth and my opportunities to benefit from that growth. Even if I only end up loaning Tesla $3000 interest free, my next car and my future will be better for it.

I've had my current car for about 8 years but technology in ICE vehicles has been stagnant IMHO so I have had no desire to upgrade to another ICE since purchase. That being said I think it will be much different for the 3. Since I placed my reservation we have gone from AP1 to AP2 and I only expect tech to exponentially improve from this point forward as competition increases. In 4 years I imagine Tesla will have some impressive tech and I will be motivated to purchase a new Tesla and sell the 3. I don't see how I will benefit from buying FSD at the time I purchase the vehicle.

I also echo what many here have said, I have doubts that the current hardware can truely support FSD even if Tesla upgrades the computer through a supposedly easy swap.

What the hell is FSD?????? Why do people use abbreviations/accronyms and assume that everybody knows what the hell they are talking about. If you want to reference AWD, do it correctly 'All Wheel Drive (AWD)', Premium Upgrade Package (PUP), etc..
You are on a Tesla forum. Just go to Tesla.com and review the options on either the Model S or Model X. FSD is "full self driving: capability. It is years away, but Tesla loves customers to give them loans of free money. Save the $3k and wait. It makes little sense to buy something that may never work during the time you own the car.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
You are on a Tesla forum. Just go to Tesla.com and review the options on either the Model S or Model X. FSD is "full self driving: capability. It is years away, but Tesla loves customers to give them loans of free money. Save the $3k and wait. It makes little sense to buy something that may never work during the time you own the car.
They could add a single feature to differentiate it if they want to without it even being true FSD.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Musk dropped the idea on the Q2 Conference Call last week
Quote from the call
Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.
...And then, the coast-to-coast drive, autonomous drive by the end of the year, I believe we're still on track for that. It is certainly possible that I may have egg on my face on that front. But if it is not, at the end of the year, it will be very close.

what's being referred to by FSD is more accurately known as an autonomy level from 0 through to 5

Level Name
0 No Driving Automation
1 Driver Assistance
2 Partial Driving Automation
3 Conditional Driving Automation
4 High Driving Automation
5 Full Driving Automation