Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you ordering Model Y?

Are you ordering Model Y?

• Yes. Definitely ordering on 1st day of unveiling, or Already placed order

• Yes. Definitely ordering within the first few weeks of unveiling

• Yes. But I will wait until it is in production

• Yes. But I will wait until the big price drop

• Yes. But I will wait a few years for quality to stabilize

• Not sure. Still considering

• No. Already own one or multiple Tesla

• No. It is still too expensive for me.

• No. The range is too short

• No. I am waiting for Tesla Pickup truck or Roadster

• No. I am buying EV from other brands.

• No. I am sticking with gasoline car. EV sucks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR and towing.......
Right?! There's going to be hundreds of threads on "can I tow this?" "how far will I be able to tow my boat" and many people disappointed in the losses associated with towing.

Bottomline--The Y is an very efficient vehicle. Putting anything significant behind it will kill it's range due to the extra drag, which in this case can easily be 2x the baseline vehicle.

Reactions: Fiddler and McManX
Right?! There's going to be hundreds of threads on "can I tow this?" "how far will I be able to tow my boat" and many people disappointed in the losses associated with towing.

Bottomline--The Y is an very efficient vehicle. Putting anything significant behind it will kill it's range due to the extra drag, which in this case can easily be 2x the baseline vehicle.

With a 220 range model Y, less than 100 miles towing is possible/likely

I boat around 20 times a year at a large lake less than 10 miles from my house. The dealer is a simple 40 mile round trip if I need service. 19 foot Yamaha ski jet-boat, 2800 pounds. Fairly easy boat to tow.

I don't care what the range is, I just need to know if it is an option. I know the range could easily be reduced by half, but I could live with that given my personal situation. Many others could as well.

Just trying to justify a second Tesla, that is all. I get that I'm a fringe use case simply for wanting to tow, just curious is all.

With a 220 range model Y, less than 100 miles towing is possible/likely

Yep. That being said I will be surprised if Tesla rates a base Y to tow. I hope they do, but can understand why they would not (not just to make a profit, but to be cautious).

It only takes one idiot to buy a base Y, attempt to max out the towing capacity while driving from Miami to Seattle, and then complain all over the web about poor range and performance.

I'd prefer my next towing vehicle be a BEV and a Tesla, but as it stands right now I need a little help to justify the purchase. I'll drive the current truck I use to tow into the ground before I buy another ICE vehicle though.

Sounds like you're doing appropriate due diligence. Hope other do as well.

Reactions: Fiddler
Do you really need 600 mile range with V3 superchargers coming? As you say that's a very long way off today, especially at that price point!
I think you need 600 miles EPA range if you do a lot of road trip. You mostly use the battery from roughly 10% to 80% in road trip when you supercharge, so that's 70% of the range. In addition, the actual range is a lot less than the EPA range in winter time. So these two factors combined mean 40% of the 600 miles EPA range is the real world in long road trip in winter. That's only 240 miles real world range per charge. Really not that much compare to gas car.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
Look at what's been accomplished in just 5 years. Tesla started out with the 60 and is now up to the 100 pack. I think the landscape will completely change in 10. We may even see on road passive charging similar to cell phone wireless charging. Other countries are considering deploying in space a solar farm and beaming the power back to earth. 10 years? it's going to be fun.
I personally think wireless or wired charging installed on highway surface to charge moving EV would never happen in large scale. The infrastructure capital cost is just too massive. Plus, i think this is just a "stop gap" temporary solution when the EV range and charging speed is still relatively low. As the EV range improve and charging speed increase even more in the next decades, let's say double or triple. The need for wireless/wired highway charging or sci-fi solar from space proposal are pretty much pointless and unnecessary at the end.

The key point as to which Tesla Y to buy is how fast Tesla will deploy the Maxwell Technology production techniques

Since I'm the proud owner of a LR Tesla 3, then I'm on board for the SR or MR Tesla Y for my wife.
Will replace her '08 Volvo C30 in a couple of years (2021).
With Elon Musk's purchase of Maxwell Technology, I expect a miminum 20% increase in energy density
from 250 WH/kg to 300 WH/kg

The Reason Tesla Spent $218 Million On Maxwell Technologies

SR Tesla Y: 220 miles + 20% (44 miles) = 264 mile range
MR Tesla Y: 260miles + 20% (52 miles) = 312 mile range
LR Tesla Y: 310 miles + 20% (62 miles) = 372 mile range

To summarize, the MR Tesla Y should get about 310 miles or darn close to the current LR TM3
with the applied Maxwell Technologies expertise.

The key point as to which Tesla Y to buy is how fast Tesla will deploy the Maxwell Technology production techniques

Since I'm the proud owner of a LR Tesla 3, then I'm on board for the SR or MR Tesla Y for my wife.
Will replace her '08 Volvo C30 in a couple of years (2021).
With Elon Musk's purchase of Maxwell Technology, I expect a miminum 20% increase in energy density
from 250 WH/kg to 300 WH/kg

The Reason Tesla Spent $218 Million On Maxwell Technologies

SR Tesla Y: 220 miles + 20% (44 miles) = 264 mile range
MR Tesla Y: 260miles + 20% (52 miles) = 312 mile range
LR Tesla Y: 310 miles + 20% (62 miles) = 372 mile range

To summarize, the MR Tesla Y should get about 310 miles or darn close to the current LR TM3
with the applied Maxwell Technologies expertise.
i really hope the maxwell technology make it to the battery soon. We need a 500 or 600 EPA miles mass market EV!!

i am thinking the same thing as well.

Yes, the Y will be a bit heavier and less aerodynamic than the 3, therefore prudent at this time to assume a 10% hit on EPA range.
Y:RWD-LR = 325 * .9 = 293
Y:AWD-LR = 310 * .9 = 279
Y:RWD-MR = 260 * .9 = 234

Possible we might see at some point Y:RWD-SR+ = 240 * .9 = 216

Or the Y won't have a 10% range hit.... Maybe only 5% ?????

Or Tesla adds a little extra battery to each variant of the Y (compared to the 3) to roughly maintain the range.