Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't you order a new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems for a while you, you can only buy an inventory model. The Juniper is not supposed to come out for a while. They made more cars than they produced for this past quarter, but you can still order other models. Any ideas?

You can still order.
IMG_5941.png
IMG_5942.png

Reactions: cusetownusa
They want to reduce their inventory. Therefore, they're gonna push people to buy up what's already built and sitting in a lot, as opposed to leaving that car in a lot and building a new one right off the line just for you.
Even if you go out of your way to “custom order” at full price, they’re just going to match you with one of those inventory cars already sitting out there for a 5-10% discount. There is no bespoke ordering any more and hasn’t been for years.

• Disagree
Reactions: Iron
Even if you go out of your way to “custom order” at full price, they’re just going to match you with one of those inventory cars already sitting out there for a 5-10% discount. There is no bespoke ordering any more and hasn’t been for years.
That may be the case right now due to high inventory, but it wasn't the case when I ordered mine early last year. It got built and I waited a long time till they sent me the VIN, then I waited some more...

Reactions: gtae07
That may be the case right now due to high inventory, but it wasn't the case when I ordered mine early last year. It got built and I waited a long time till they sent me the VIN, then I waited some more...
Similar experience for me. Ordered a Model S last year and did not get it from inventory. Also ordered a Model Y later last year and did take one from inventory, but I could have waited for the factory order if I wanted to.

Similar experience for me. Ordered a Model S last year and did not get it from inventory. Also ordered a Model Y later last year and did take one from inventory, but I could have waited for the factory order if I wanted to.

My point is they build cars in batches. Sometimes the order book is large and you wait for your batch to be built. Other times (like now) there are cars laying around everywhere and they will assign you one of them whether you buy from "inventory" or not. There's no case where they're going to build you a fresh car from the factory and make you wait for it when there are 10 with identical specs in your immediate delivery area.

The days of high customization and bespoke assembly, where you wait for YOUR car to be built in blue with sunroof, tan leather, matte obeché wood decor, UHFS sound system, but skipping the sub-zero weather package are long gone.

Reactions: MD70
This article has been reposted all over the internet but the author has no clue what they are talking about. These are the same inventory discounts that were around all last quarter. But the incentives from last quarter all went away and prices have gone up around $900 from their end of quarter lows. So threre is no news here, just a click bait article.

This article has been reposted all over the internet but the author has no clue what they are talking about. These are the same inventory discounts that were around all last quarter. But the incentives from last quarter all went away and prices have gone up around $900 from their end of quarter lows. So threre is no news here, just a click bait article.
I don't know about that I was online tonight looking at leasing and they are $5000 off.. that author, yeah pretty much everything on the internet is suspect these days.