Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you ordering Model Y?

Are you ordering Model Y?

• Yes. Definitely ordering on 1st day of unveiling, or Already placed order

• Yes. Definitely ordering within the first few weeks of unveiling

• Yes. But I will wait until it is in production

• Yes. But I will wait until the big price drop

• Yes. But I will wait a few years for quality to stabilize

• Not sure. Still considering

• No. Already own one or multiple Tesla

• No. It is still too expensive for me.

• No. The range is too short

• No. I am waiting for Tesla Pickup truck or Roadster

• No. I am buying EV from other brands.

• No. I am sticking with gasoline car. EV sucks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Y will be a bit heavier and less aerodynamic than the 3, therefore prudent at this time to assume a 10% hit on EPA range.
Y:RWD-LR = 325 * .9 = 293
Y:AWD-LR = 310 * .9 = 279
Y:RWD-MR = 260 * .9 = 234

Possible we might see at some point Y:RWD-SR+ = 240 * .9 = 216

Or the Y won't have a 10% range hit.... Maybe only 5% ?????

Or Tesla adds a little extra battery to each variant of the Y (compared to the 3) to roughly maintain the range.
I don't think Tesla would make Model Y having more range than Model X. That's also what they did to Model 3 compare to Model S.

I don't think Tesla would make Model Y having more range than Model X. That's also what they did to Model 3 compare to Model S.

Agreed. Below is my guess on pricing points and specs for the Tesla lineup. The Upper trims of the Model Y would be available 1st.

Tesla Lineup.JPG

Agreed. Below is my guess on pricing points and specs for the Tesla lineup. The Upper trims of the Model Y would be available 1st.

View attachment 386051
i think there are some errors in this table. The previous model 3 pricing was all $2900 more than it is now for the MR and LR version. MR was previously 42900, not 42000. The LR AWD was previously 49900, not 51000. Not sure about the performance version though.

Also, the pricing cut on 1/13 was $1100 across the board, not $1000. So the pricing for all Tesla model are a bit off on your table.

i think there are some errors in this table. The previous model 3 pricing was all $2900 more than it is now for the MR and LR version. MR was previously 42900, not 42000. The LR AWD was previously 49900, not 51000. Not sure about the performance version though.

Also, the pricing cut on 1/13 was $1100 across the board, not $1000. So the pricing for all Tesla model are a bit off on your table.
You are partially correct. I forgot to include the 2/5 $1,100 price cut for the Model 3 line. I made the correction to the table and included reference notes. Thank you.

Reference.
Tesla reduces Model 3 price, now starts at $42,900 before incentives

Last edited:
Just curious why you need 600 miles range?
I explained it previously here:
I think you need 600 miles EPA range if you do a lot of road trip. You mostly use the battery from roughly 10% to 80% in road trip when you supercharge, so that's 70% of the battery range. In addition, the actual range is a lot less than the EPA range in winter time. So these two factors combined mean 40% of the 600 miles EPA range is the real world in long road trip in winter. That's only 240 miles real world range per charge. Really not that much compare to gas car.

This solved nothing!

The Model Y is really exactly what I want... nearly perfect (but no heated steering wheel?!) Realistically, the earliest I'd see one is mid-2021.

Not going to order one today - that's 2 1/2 years from now... Lots can change between now and then.

So my current lease expires in September - what do I get to bridge 9/2019 to 9/2021(ish)? I want an SUV, but do I downsize to a Model 3 temporarily, or go with one last ICE SUV round?

Oh, and I want a lease - business reasons for that - don't want to own the vehicle in any case. So unless the Model 3 leasing becomes available, this is an open-and-shut case.

This solved nothing!

The Model Y is really exactly what I want... nearly perfect (but no heated steering wheel?!) Realistically, the earliest I'd see one is mid-2021.

Not going to order one today - that's 2 1/2 years from now... Lots can change between now and then.

So my current lease expires in September - what do I get to bridge 9/2019 to 9/2021(ish)? I want an SUV, but do I downsize to a Model 3 temporarily, or go with one last ICE SUV round?

Oh, and I want a lease - business reasons for that - don't want to own the vehicle in any case. So unless the Model 3 leasing becomes available, this is an open-and-shut case.
For the more expensive Model Y, the presentation say it will be in production in Fall 2020.

For the more expensive Model Y, the presentation say it will be in production in Fall 2020.

Fall 2020 means they could start production on December 20, 2020 and still be completed on time. I’ll believe it when I see it. It also says “delivery shortly thereafter” which I take to be sometime in 2021. Realistically, I’d say we won’t see them in any volume until May-June of 2021. Just a guess. Feel free to call me out on that in 26 months if I’m wrong. :)

I was going to order but it looked very similar to Model 3, except taller. Yes, roomier but less range and a little slower than Model 3. The panoramic roof of Model Y does not seem as large as Model X to show the sky view.

Also I was hoping for Falcon Wing Doors, but I admit I would expect too much from $39,000 vehicle.

I am going to skip Model Y but will just enjoy every bit of Model X.

• Love
Reactions: FlyinLow