Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you ordering Powerwall 2.0?

are you ordering Powerwall 2.0?

• I am all in!! I am ordering BOTH solar and TWO or more Powerwall

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I am all in!! I am ordering BOTH solar and ONE Powerwall

• Definitely!! I will order TWO or more (without solar)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Definitely!! I will order ONE of them (without solar)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Thinking about ordering it. Still looking into the details

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Not sure. Depends if solar can be installed at my house

• Not sure. $5500 each is still expensive

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • No, my electric bill is not very high anyway.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Hell no. It is still way too expensive.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Hell no. I don't believe in global warming.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voted too expensive. I have Solar with NetMetering and Time of Use plan on SCE at my home. I would much rather sell my excess solar production back to SCE at peak rates, than use the excess to charge the PowerWall to provide off-peak/super off-peak power. It would be a good solution for backup, but the very rare outage wouldn't justify the cost. Now, if Elon were to allow the PowerWall to be charged from the utility (at Super Off-Peak rates), to provide power during Peak, I would absolutely consider it. I don't think that is in his plans though - solar and sustainability and all.

Last edited:
Have solar already here in AZ. Would like powerwall. My system currently disconnects when there's no current detected from the grid.

So I'm wondering if I can even use this as a backup?

Does Tesla change the system slightly to allow for this? Or is this a municipality/code regulation
Powerwall does allow load-shifting and back-up technically. Not sure about if your local regulation will prevent that. I kind of doubt it coz Powerwall kind of does everything within your home. I doubt your utility has control over it, or monitor it.

Voted too expensive. I have Solar with NetMetering and Time of Use plan on SCE at my home. I would much rather sell my excess solar production back to SCE at peak rates, than use the excess to charge the PowerWall to provide off-peak/super off-peak power. It would be a good solution for backup, but the very rare outage wouldn't justify the cost. Now, if Elon were to allow the PowerWall to be charged from the utility (at Super Off-Peak rates), to provide power during Peak, I would absolutely consider it. I don't think that is in his plans though - solar and sustainability and all.
i believe the Powerwall can do either one you described. You can configure it however you want. Charging Powerwall at superlow off peak rate, and then use it at peak time is definitely one option.

Reactions: jf2go
i believe the Powerwall can do either one you described. You can configure it however you want. Charging Powerwall at superlow off peak rate, and then use it at peak time is definitely one option.

That would be very interesting - scheduling both the charging and usage time periods. I hope that they will offer a PowerWall 2 without the inverter. I already have a SolarEdge installed. Let's see if my quick math works... PowerWall 2 can provide ~14kWh. I will assume that I can use that 14kWh daily, during Peak, in excess of what my solar can provide (definitely the case in the summer with the A/C's running - not as likely in the winter though). ~$0.30/kWh savings delta if charging during super off-peak and consuming during peak = ~$4/day. $6,000 PowerWall 2 installed would ROI in about 4-5 years.

Reactions: ggnykk
Does Tesla change the system slightly to allow for this? Or is this a municipality/code regulation
Not sure exactly how Powerwall handles its side, but code requires you to isolate any local energy source from the power grid when the voltage on the grid side is not adequate. This is a safety measure to prevent your system from electrocuting anyone on the utility side who thinks the power is off. For example today in California if your solar system cannot detect adequate voltage on the power grid side, it will not feed your panel, even for local use.

So regardless if you have a Powerwall, generator or some other behind the meter power source, it needs to have either a mechanical or electronic isolation feature. Your utility will tell you what they accept. In addition, you would need some means to insure that the power you are producing will not be over consumed by your household. For example can the Powerwall handle all the circuits that feed your house? You may need to isolate some circuits to be fed from the Powerwall while others remain dead.

Not sure exactly how Powerwall handles its side, but code requires you to isolate any local energy source from the power grid when the voltage on the grid side is not adequate. This is a safety measure to prevent your system from electrocuting anyone on the utility side who thinks the power is off. For example today in California if your solar system cannot detect adequate voltage on the power grid side, it will not feed your panel, even for local use.

So regardless if you have a Powerwall, generator or some other behind the meter power source, it needs to have either a mechanical or electronic isolation feature. Your utility will tell you what they accept. In addition, you would need some means to insure that the power you are producing will not be over consumed by your household. For example can the Powerwall handle all the circuits that feed your house? You may need to isolate some circuits to be fed from the Powerwall while others remain dead.
interesting info