Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] AWD/P-AWD reservers and changing to RWD because of range

After learning about the efficiency of AWD/P-AWD, will you change your reservation?

• Currently AWD/P-AWD, will stick with AWD/P-AWD

Votes: 184 88.5%
  • Was AWD/P-AWD, changed to RWD

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did I miss re: range? Should I RTFM? ;)
Where Manual = a few threads on the board.

TLDR version: It appears the D & P are going to have effectively the same mileage (unless you constantly stomp on the P....which of course is why you got it ;) ). Their listed EPA range is 310mi, same as the LR. However it appears that this 310mi is going to be pretty much spot on (with "normal" variables, of course) as apposed to the roughly 20miles and change that Tesla sandbagged the LR's range.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
The EPA highway tests are far from steady state cruising. The torque sleep mode for the front motor probably did not happen much during the EPA highway tests. I feel the AWD and RWD will be much closer in actual steady state cruising than the EPA tests indicate.

EPA test profiles here:
Detailed Test Information

I feel the non-P AWD is the sweet spot for all-around cost-effective performance at this point.

Reactions: Big Earl
The EPA highway tests are far from steady state cruising. The torque sleep mode for the front motor probably did not happen much during the EPA highway tests. I feel the AWD and RWD will be much closer in actual steady state cruising than the EPA tests indicate.

EPA test profiles here:
Detailed Test Information

I feel the non-P AWD is the sweet spot for all-around cost-effective performance at this point.

To be clear the EPA has never tested a Tesla afaik. The numbers are self reported by Tesla to the EPA who then posts them.

• EPA numbers are self reported and only a small number of car models each year are chosen for random testing. In 2017 that percentage was near 9.58% (0.0958 if I got the math right).

• For example in 2017 the EPA tested 0 Tesla cars. Same for 2018 as well.
See Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA for the raw data.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
To be clear the EPA has never tested a Tesla afaik. The numbers are self reported by Tesla to the EPA who then posts them.
I have read that all EV's were tested by EPA contractors up to this point. Perhaps not according to your link, but in any case cheating on this testing has severe consequences. I expect Tesla tests are accurate and conform perfectly to EPA protocol. We all know the scrutiny that Tesla is subjected to these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Still unsure. Slightly disappointed for the following reasons (perhaps someone can convince me to switch to RWD?):
  • I have no home charging (live in condo in Canada with no possibility of setting up 120v or 240v)
  • I can only charge at level 2 chargers on the street (2 hour max.. is this sustainable?)
  • I have a daily commute of 70km (43 miles)
  • My commute involves driving on the highway usually at 120kmh (75mph)
I don't live in snowy areas in Canada but I think I'd appreciate the extra power/traction around corners in the AWD. Someone please convince me to switch to RWD.. will it make that big of a difference?

Still unsure. Slightly disappointed for the following reasons (perhaps someone can convince me to switch to RWD?):
  • I have no home charging (live in condo in Canada with no possibility of setting up 120v or 240v)
  • I can only charge at level 2 chargers on the street (2 hour max.. is this sustainable?)
  • I have a daily commute of 70km (43 miles)
  • My commute involves driving on the highway usually at 120kmh (75mph)
I don't live in snowy areas in Canada but I think I'd appreciate the extra power/traction around corners in the AWD. Someone please convince me to switch to RWD.. will it make that big of a difference?
What's the Amperage on the Level 2 chargers? You'll get roughly 1mile of range/hour for every Amp the L2 charges at. The LR battery (so all three current options) is capable of up to 48A, so 2 hours/day would completely cover your commute, save for the coldest months when you have to run the cabin heater.

((EDIT: You might be able to find the charger Amp rating on here if you don't know. CAA Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locator ))

However 30A is a common L2 output, so you need to check. That would mean that you'd be coming up short about 25miles/day. You could get through the week but would need to go to a SC, or babysit for multiple 2 hrs sessions, to do a full recharge on the weekend.

EDIT2: Wait, is that 70km one-way or 70km round trip? If it's round trip you're going to be golden, even with just a 30A L2 charger in colder months, when your range won't be a good because you have to run the heater to keep the window from fogging up.

The RWD would add a small amount of comfort zone on range but likely wouldn't be critical here.

Last edited:
I have read that all EV's were tested by EPA contractors up to this point. Perhaps not according to your link, but in any case cheating on this testing has severe consequences. I expect Tesla tests are accurate and conform perfectly to EPA protocol. We all know the scrutiny that Tesla is subjected to these days.

I'm sure cheating the customer would be illegal, but there are those on this board that continually say the numbers are sandbagged, hiding greater capability than promised.

I'm just making it clear to anyone that read your post that the EPA never tested a Tesla and the numbers are self reported. I'm not claiming any accuracy or inaccuracy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
What's the Amperage on the Level 2 chargers? You'll get roughly 1mile of range/hour for every Amp the L2 charges at. The LR battery (so all three current options) is capable of up to 48A, so 2 hours/day would completely cover your commute, save for the coldest months when you have to run the cabin heater.

((EDIT: You might be able to find the charger Amp rating on here if you don't know. CAA Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locator ))

However 30A is a common L2 output, so you need to check. That would mean that you'd be coming up short about 25miles/day. You could get through the week but would need to go to a SC, or babysit for multiple 2 hrs sessions, to do a full recharge on the weekend.

EDIT2: Wait, is that 70km one-way or 70km round trip? If it's round trip you're going to be golden, even with just a 30A L2 charger in colder months, when your range won't be a good because you have to run the heater to keep the window from fogging up.

The RWD would add a small amount of comfort zone on range but likely wouldn't be critical here.

Appreciate your reply! The charger details are as follows: 30A, 7.2kW. - how much range would I get in 2 hours with that?

This is a 70km daily round trip (36km one way and 34km back). In terms of going to be golden do you mean I'll be fine if I charge 2 hours every day after work? Seems a little crazy but at the same time if it works, then why not?

I can only charge at level 2 chargers on the street (2 hour max.. is this sustainable?)
You can probably count on at least 4 miles per kWh from the battery.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US public L2 is usually either 24 or 32 Amp continuous. So that works out to either 5.76 or 7.68 kW and over two hours either 11.52 or 15.36 kWh from the meter, and about 90% of that amount into the battery.

As for sustainable, in your shoes I would ask myself
1. Am I willing to tolerate the daily connect/disconnect routine until something better becomes available ?
2. How do I handle longer drives ?

You can probably count on at least 4 miles per kWh from the battery.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US public L2 is usually either 24 or 32 Amp continuous. So that works out to either 5.76 or 7.68 kW and over two hours either 11.52 or 15.36 kWh from the meter, and about 90% of that amount into the battery.

As for sustainable, in your shoes I would ask myself
1. Am I willing to tolerate the daily connect/disconnect routine until something better becomes available ?
2. How do I handle longer drives ?

Per my above details: The charger details are as follows: 30A, 7.2kW. - how much range would I get in 2 hours with that?

I can totally tolerate the daily connect/disconnect. My plan would be to charge like this if it's my only option and then for long trips or desperate charging I can go to the nearest supercharger which is about 30km/18mi away from me.

I really was hoping that AWD would give a slight efficiency gain. If there was a large efficiency difference either way known at the time configuration I would have gone with that. When I was presented with the same delivery window for RWD and AWD I decided to roll the dice. Seeing brake dust on the front wheels of a RWD Model S also gave me a little push. The initially reported 8% difference is a little higher than I was expecting in either direction. I was expecting more on the order of a couple of percent. I'm kinda happy the edit option is gone from my configuration screen so I don't really have to think about it at this point.

Reactions: ord3r
Per my above details: The charger details are as follows: 30A, 7.2kW. - how much range would I get in 2 hours with that?
Each hour you'll get about 1 mile for each A, so connecting for 2 hours that is 30 miles * 2, or about 60 miles.

I'd count on getting about 95km range in the summer from 2 hours on those chargers. Maybe a little more or a touch less depending on exactly how you drive. That looks good.

In winter you'll use about 30% more battery power in cabin heater. So you might not completely keep up. You may only get 60-65km worth of effective range out of that 2 hours. However if you work 5 days/week that's only losing about 5 * 10km of your range per day, so you'll only be down 50km by the weekend and would require less than 2 hours extra charge session to top you off.

This all looks very doable for you if you're good with that daily routine. I'd say there is a good chance if keep your maximum charge set at 85% (not changing to 100% helps protect the longevity of your battery) you'll not even drop to 50% mark of battery by Friday in the winter (as long as Tesla squashes all these "vampire drain" bugs, where the car uses more than normal battery when parked). The extra little bit of range of the RWD doesn't seem critical here, so that's an entirely separate $5500(is that what it is in CDN$ ?) decision from this.

P.S. Is you normal parking underground or at least covered? That'll actually save you range if you don't have to heat your car as much at the start of your trip in colder weather.

---

BTW with the Supercharger that close, if it's somewhere near where you'd go on the weekend anyway, with the long range battery you may not even need the use the street parking chargers every day. You could skip a day or two and still easily make it through the week and top off at the SC on the weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: cil0n and SageBrush
P.S. Is you normal parking underground or at least covered? That'll actually save you range if you don't have to heat your car as much at the start of your trip in colder weather.

---

BTW with the Supercharger that close, if it's somewhere near where you'd go on the weekend anyway, with the long range battery you may not even need the use the street parking chargers every day. You could skip a day or two and still easily make it through the week and top off at the SC on the weekend.

Thank you so much for all your help! I'm finally realizing I have full confidence that I'll be able to charge enough for my daily commute. Time to sit back and play the AWD waiting game...

Reactions: ℬête Noire