Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Do you think insurance companies account for low stolen car statistics in their rates?

Do you think insurance companies account for low stolen car statistics in their rates?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance companies account for everything they have data for and are allowed to use. Right now, there is very limited data on Teslas for any given company, but that will change. When there is limited data, similar cars are used to estimate. That is also why rates can fluctuate at renewal.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I think they are still low on data to accurately assess Tesla's. Rates seem to keep dropping as more and more data becomes available. I remember a few years ago insurance was treating the model S like a Lambo. I got lucky insuring my 3, I work from home and my annual mileage got me the pleasure car rate. So my insurance went way down.

...to their benefit.

Which is to everyone's benefit. Think of it this way, if you are 100% guaranteed to not have an accident, shouldn't you pay a lot less than someone that is 100% guaranteed to have an accident? Since no one is 100% either way, all of the data used helps figure out who is less likely to have a claim and should pay less.