Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll.. do you use navigation every time you drive?

How often do you use Navigation ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 9.0 and the focus on navigation as the main use of the MCU, I’m curious if nav use is really that much of a mainstay as Tesla seems to think it is....

I personally believe the majority of owners have a routine work route, not an “every drive” or even “daily drive” need for using navigation.

I’m really perplexed by this focus by Tesla on navigation. Not to mention that nav on the dash screen is more insightful.

I think it's useful to differentiate between "navigation" and "routing".

I use routing only when I don't know where I'm going (new place) or it's during a time with a ton of traffic and I want the system to calculate the fastest route. I do this maybe a couple times a week, enough but not a ton.

I use the map itself (we'll call this "navigation") without a destination entered every time I drive. I find it immensely useful, I can at a glance see traffic info overlaid on the map, I can figure out what streets are immediately around me which is handy even if I'm familiar with the area, perhaps I don't remember which street I need to turn on, or maybe I can quickly spot a shortcut via a street that goes through on the map.

I keep the map fullscreen whenever possible, and only sometimes have the media window open on the bottom when I want to thumbs up/down songs on streaming. I'm really excited about the possibility of having the mini player visible all the time, so I can basically have the fullscreen map and still have my media info available. If I'm on a long-distance trip, I'll usually have the map on the top and energy usage on the bottom.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that based on my description above, I selected every time I drive in your poll. I'm not sure if you're referring to just the map or the full routing functionality with a destination entered, but I think given the question and that I think Tesla is focusing more on the map display than actual routing with the UI changes, this is the most appropriate answer for me.

Also: While we're asking Tesla to bring back features, one I'd really like to return is the commute advice popup that was part of the old maps/navigation system. This was way useful, if there was a traffic jam along my usual route to work in the morning, it would automatically tell me that and suggest a different one, without me having to do anything. I'd love to have this back.

It's gonna be very regional. Back when I lived in the Midwest, I would be considered legally retarded if I used my navigation on my daily work route.

But out here in California, it's insane to think of going ANYWHERE more than 2 blocks away without using a traffic-competent navigation system. Traffic is so unpredictably dynamic (and there's always traffic) that you always want to have the system plan an optimal route as well as provide an accurate ETA.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
With 9.0 and the focus on navigation as the main use of the MCU, I’m curious if nav use is really that much of a mainstay as Tesla seems to think it is....

I personally believe the majority of owners have a routine work route, not an “every drive” or even “daily drive” need for using navigation.

I’m really perplexed by this focus by Tesla on navigation. Not to mention that nav on the dash screen is more insightful.

I don’t use it every time I drive, but do use it a lot, including to places I know perfectly well how to get to. It’s useful for seeing where traffic is, getting an ETA and getting a good estimate of battery usage for longer trips.

I'm in the camp that's not using turn-by-turn every drive, but I almost always keep the map on the top half of the screen for situational awareness, and I actually like the 3/4 display it can do with the small media player now in v9.

Nav (with routing) - almost never = maybe once every 2-3 months.

Maps on screen while driving (w/o routing) - almost never. Maybe a few times a month BUT usually only for a few moments (couple minutes max) just to quickly check traffic or find alternate route if a jam. Never maps on continuously full time while driving, unless with routing.

Since there’s no “almost never” choice, I voted “never” considering usage as a percentage of time spent driving

There is a distinction between using navigation (i.e. having Tesla navigate directions for you) and just having the map up on the screen (so you can for example see traffic information ahead). Using Navigation implies using directions. Your question should have been "How often do you have the nav screen up on the main screen?".

Reactions: davidc18
The Tesla Nav is by far the best Nav that I've ever seen in a vehicle. I have used a Garmin GPS in every car that I've used for the last 20 years and I've got one for the rental cars that I use on a regular basis. While the Tesla is not quite as nice as the Garmin, it's usable.

I'm guess that the real reason why you are asking the question is because you had rather have other screens showing and are trying to provide to Tesla that the software change is a bad one. As a Model 3 owner, I don't feel that the UI is a bad one, it is actually quite functional. From what I understand, the biggest item is the rear view camera. And yes, it doesn't have a permanent location on the screen, it is easy to popup over the map when you need it, and yes you do have to keep doing it.
But at this point, I'd be hesitant getting really used to using the display for rear or surround view navigation, it keeps you from being proficient when you move to other cars.

I use the navigation even on well known paths. Why?

- it redirects me if there is a lineup
- I am interested in ETA and SOC when arriving

I'm driven by habits. In my last ICE car, when using the nav it gave me traffic warnings along the path I was travelling. It saved my life once when on the Autobahn a VW was driving in the wrong direction and had I not been warned about 30s before, we might have crashed.

Before the 9.0 update, I always had the map in the top half. Bottom half was usually music, but sometimes energy during long trips. So.... the 9.0 update has t really changed much “screen wise” for me.

But, under the heading of “Happy Wife —> Happy Life,” my wife likes to split the screen with rear camera and music. No maps for her. The 9.0 has her super upset. And I understand.

Questions:
1) Anyone know why Tesla UI engineers made this change?

2) What are chances they change things back in the future?