Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd check this:

1. Go inside, then turn off the A/C and make sure all windows are closed: Can you hear a pretty loud and annoying humming noise coming from the front-right of the car? If so, check the next point.

2. Try to understand if the noise is coming exactly where the water pumps are located (watch my video again in case). You can hear them very well from the right front wheel of the car if they make that damn noise.

If you can't hear any noise from inside the cabin at point 1 above, make sure it is quiet enough to hear it. And if you are sure it is enough quiet to NOT hear anything, you probably don't have it and you may be among the lucky folks!

If you could also take a video of that while doing this test, that'd be great ;)
Thanks! This is super clear.

Reactions: fablau
UPDATE:

I have bad news and good news for you guys.

The bad news is that one of the people who reported this issue (and it is in these forums with the nickname @Deutsch100) has just told me that he just exchanged his leased Model Y with a BMW. He said he could not bear the noise anymore. And I perfectly understand him. This is what’s happening around the world folks if Tesla doesn’t tackle this problem soon. @Deutsch100 is probably going to comment on these pages himself soon ;)

The good news is about a guy who reported having the same issue from South Korea via my website, and he told me that several people there have complained about it at their Tesla Service Centers, and they got the problem fixed! I am still in the process to understand how they exactly fixed the problem (pump replacement? Or did they replace any other component?). But this is great news. This guy is also taking his Model Y to his service center next week and will ask to fix it as well. I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this new positive development. By the way, he sent me this video of his Model Y which gives you a very good idea of the noise his car is making:

New video by chino papa

His car’s noise is even worse than mine.

Good to know that they are going to fix it in South Korea. We keep in touch for more details. I already saw that you posted some messages in the TG group.

It’s not only happening in USA and Asia but also in Europe. This is my case. While maybe it’s not so loud like in some of the cases that you have reported I really think that it should not be there.

And although this M3 LR 2021 is my first Tesla car, it is not my first EV car (I’ve driven EVs since 2016).

I’ve got an appointment in my local SC on 6th, October. I’ll keep you updated on this matter.

The noise the pumps are making on what appears to be June 2021 to current builds (Y for sure, maybe Model 3 too) are NOT normal in any situation. The noise begins when you open the door and then gets even louder when you put your foot on the brake and select D or R. If it is really hot, the pump(s) are even worse. When you come to a stop, the noise is so loud that it goes over music and normal conversation.

I did THREE test drives before my MYP arrived on 8/15/21 and none made this awful noise. There are now enough people speaking up in the USA and even in Asia now about this problem. EVs are not silent, but NONE should ever make this horrific noise! FYI, my MYP is my 5th EV....so I am not an EV newbie. I have been driving EV since 2017!

Yes... and I got people reporting the problem from Europe as well (Portugal and Spain). Massive problem.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Good to know that they are going to fix it in South Korea. We keep in touch for more details. I already saw that you posted some messages in the TG group.

It’s not only happening in USA and Asia but also in Europe. This is my case. While maybe it’s not so loud like in some of the cases that you have reported I really think that it should not be there.

And although this M3 LR 2021 is my first Tesla car, it is not my first EV car (I’ve driven EVs since 2016).

I’ve got an appointment in my local SC on 6th, October. I’ll keep you updated on this matter.

Thank you so much! Please, tell your service center the story we know from Korea, maybe they will realize that can be fixed.

Looking forward to your results. ;)

The noise the pumps are making on what appears to be June 2021 to current builds (Y for sure, maybe Model 3 too) are NOT normal in any situation. The noise begins when you open the door and then gets even louder when you put your foot on the brake and select D or R. If it is really hot, the pump(s) are even worse. When you come to a stop, the noise is so loud that it goes over music and normal conversation.

I did THREE test drives before my MYP arrived on 8/15/21 and none made this awful noise. There are now enough people speaking up in the USA and even in Asia now about this problem. EVs are not silent, but NONE should ever make this horrific noise! FYI, my MYP is my 5th EV....so I am not an EV newbie. I have been driving EV since 2017!

Thank you again for your testimonial, Adam. Just out of curiosity, what did Tesla say when you ended your lease? Did they ask you why you wanted to end it?

Thank you again for your testimonial, Adam. Just out of curiosity, what did Tesla say when you ended your lease? Did they ask you why you wanted to end it?
I did not ask them, as you CANNOT call Tesla and they are terrible at email response. I just got my payoff from the Tesla website under my account and let my BMW dealer payoff the account. Fingers crossed Tesla does not cause any he** ;) 35 days in my new 2021 MYP and the experience totally ruined by Tesla's awful build quality, parts and zero customer service. Very sad to me!

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
@fablau yeah I could remember hearing a similar space ship sound but yours sounds more like a pump or fan that's noisy. I was not hearing it inside the cabin which makes me more interested to pop off my cover just to see how it compares to yours. I'll try to do that later.

Did the app service not get you anywhere? Or is it a case you are just very far from a Service Center? I'm like a 60 mile drive away from one myself.
1632409474049.png

Reactions: fablau
I did not ask them, as you CANNOT call Tesla and they are terrible at email response. I just got my payoff from the Tesla website under my account and let my BMW dealer payoff the account. Fingers crossed Tesla does not cause any he** ;) 35 days in my new 2021 MYP and the experience totally ruined by Tesla's awful build quality, parts and zero customer service. Very sad to me!

I am sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were leasing it. I don't think Tesla will bother you at all. I wish they were asking why you sold a brand new car after just two months and at least ask you some information about it... but I am afraid they won't even care about that. Very sad indeed. But hey, let's hope I am wrong, and in case, let us know!

@fablau yeah I could remember hearing a similar space ship sound but yours sounds more like a pump or fan that's noisy. I was not hearing it inside the cabin which makes me more interested to pop off my cover just to see how it compares to yours. I'll try to do that later.

Did the app service not get you anywhere? Or is it a case you are just very far from a Service Center? I'm like a 60 mile drive away from one myself.
View attachment 713118

Yes please, let us know what you hear from the frunk. It is very interesting your car is a brand new car and doesn't have this problem. I'd love to understand what's the difference between yours and mine. The first questions that pop-up to mind are:

1. Do you have different pumps installed?
2. Are the pumps connected with a different bearing?
3. Is there any other component that causes noise in other cars like mine?

If we were closer, I'd love to meet with you and compare our cars ;)

As you may have already heard from the video I posted on my website, I dealt with the service center for two months after I got my car. But I got nothing from them.

9/21 MYP build here. I have the front end taken apart to install PPF. I was able to locate the noise to the octovalve.

This being my first Tesla, I was surprised by the hum but thought it was just normal. I have a service appointment scheduled for a couple of weeks from now to take care of a couple things I noticed at delivery and have the garage door opener installed. I’ll let the service tech listen to it and see what they say.

@fablau ok popped the facade under the frunk. Looks like first difference would be I got the HEPA/BioDefence setup so it looks different.

Thank you for posting the video. Yes, you have a different system and the noise is actually quite different from mine. That resembles what I can hear on my 2019 Model 3 ( and the noise cannot be heard from inside the cabin). I think at this point, all cars with the new HEPA filter are probably like yours (quiet), whereas all the ones right before that, are noisy... but not the ones produced even before those, which were quiet as well.

Ideally, it'd be nice to find a historical list of all the revisions they applied to Model Ys or Model 3s to understand what actually changed. Does anyone have any ideas where that can be found? Or it is among those "classified" Tesla documents my technician refused to release when I asked him more information about the cooling system? It seems to do forensics here!

9/21 MYP build here. I have the front end taken apart to install PPF. I was able to locate the noise to the octovalve.

This being my first Tesla, I was surprised by the hum but thought it was just normal. I have a service appointment scheduled for a couple of weeks from now to take care of a couple things I noticed at delivery and have the garage door opener installed. I’ll let the service tech listen to it and see what they say.

I am sorry for your sad discovery. We look forward to hear from you about your service appointment ;)

I use to have a 09' Mini Cooper John Cooper Works and it ran a aux water pump thru the turbo after a drive to help cool things down. Had a somewhat similar sound. Though mine does change RPM levels from time to time.

This guy shared a similar sound bite - Tesla Constant Fan/Pump Sounds.mp3

Yeah, that recording sound is completely different from the humming sound we are discussing here. That sounds more like a "metallic fan" of some sort. This humming sound instead, is transmitted mostly through the chassis of the front structure. That's why it can be heard so loudly from inside the cabin and it is so annoying.

Thank you for posting the video. Yes, you have a different system and the noise is actually quite different from mine. That resembles what I can hear on my 2019 Model 3 ( and the noise cannot be heard from inside the cabin). I think at this point, all cars with the new HEPA filter are probably like yours (quiet), whereas all the ones right before that, are noisy... but not the ones produced even before those, which were quiet as well.

Ideally, it'd be nice to find a historical list of all the revisions they applied to Model Ys or Model 3s to understand what actually changed. Does anyone have any ideas where that can be found? Or it is among those "classified" Tesla documents my technician refused to release when I asked him more information about the cooling system? It seems to do forensics here!
Mine has the new hepa biodefense mode, build and delivery 8/21 AND still had the horrible, ever present noise. The noise in this guy's video is so normal and quiet....I would have killed to have my pump(s) so quiet!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau