Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking my M3 to the SC in Berkeley twice with the same result, I took it to the SC in San Rafael. The response was the same, "it is not out of the normal range". It sounds like the diagnosis from the SCs are a little too close to the same. So I decided to try to look at it myself. I took off the two shrouds and put a stethascope to the parts I could get to and it seems to be coming from a can labeled SUPER MANIFOLD part number 1547595-96-0, made in Mexico. It sounds like a lot of people have their A/C fail because of this part, so it may be hard to get Tesla to change it for a noise issue. It's possible that the noise is coming from a part I cant reach, but is transfering vibration to this part. Any thoughts?
View attachment 711170

I'll check tomorrow with my car, but in my case, the noise is directly coming from one or both the water pumps. You can see in my video where the noise is coming from in my car:

Of course, the vibration can be transferred anywhere, chassis included. That's why you can hear it from inside the cabin and there is no way to dampen it down.

It is very disappointing though that all service centers keep saying that "it is normal." They should know that it is not.

Have you asked them to compare it with a previously produced Model Y? That's where my service center had to admit that there was at least a "difference" in noise with the previous models. But still, they kept saying that was normal (which is clearly kind of a contradiction, isn't it?) So I asked: 'What is "normal" then? The quietness of the previous models or the noise of the new models?' Nobody could answer me. They just don't want to deal with this issue!

Reactions: Deutsch100
I’m not sure what the pedestrian warning sound is like. There’s a droning sound when you’re in reverse but that’s only in reverse and not a problem. My sound is more like an ICE engine radiator fan blowing at full speed like you’d hear in. Mercedes or Volvo with the big fans. It’s full blast when the car is awake and it’s a low hum when it’s not in use. It shuts off when the car sleeps.
I’m going to wait till the car goes in for service to see what they say and try to compare with other MYs too.

Sorry, I missed your post above. Yes, please, keep us posted.

Also, if you have the chance to take a video of your car making the noise while parked, from inside and outside, that'd be great.

Thanks!

UPDATE (suggestion): Yesterday I contacted my local Tesla Owners Club, telling them about this issue. They helped me to get the word out to Tesla's service management and Tesla's headquarters. I really didn't know Tesla clubs could do that. The club's manager suggested reporting the issue without mentioning the petition we are building, but to stay on the personal side of the problem by mentioning these discussions and the fact more people are affected by it. And that's what I did. I described the problem on my personal side, by including my Model Y VIN number, when I got delivery of it, the noise it makes, the bad experience I had at the service center, the discussion having here, more people complaining about it, etc. the whole story without mentioning the petition, and sent it to the club.

I don't have much hope that this will make any difference (I expect Tesla to get back with the usual answer: "It's normal!"), but... maybe, if we all do the same with other clubs, maybe that could at least help to push Tesla to realize that the problem is big and people are suffering from it.

Your thoughts on this additional strategy?

I would say mine makes similar noises. I hear a lot of clicks and bonks, servo noises from the front. Last night while putting on a ceramic coat the back made a big cluck sound. I just assume its a mix of relays, pumps, servo motors. Mines also plugged in to the wall connector 99% of the time when at home.
I can't say its bugging me but I have said "What are you doing?" out loud when I hear it in the garage lol.
HVAC I believe is going to run with or without the AC being on just as it conditions the batteries or anticipates use. I've often wondered if it also senses me approaching or is just doing internal maintenance (battery conditioning/heating/cooling). I'm just now starting to dip into the 45F/7C in the mornings, with frost a few weeks out.

Last edited:
I would say mine makes similar noises. I hear a lot of clicks and bonks, servo noises from the front. Last night while putting on a ceramic coat the back made a big cluck sound. I just assume its a mix of relays, pumps, servo motors. Mines also plugged in to the wall connector 99% of the time when at home.
I can't say its bugging me but I have said "What are you doing?" out loud when I hear it in the garage lol.
HVAC I believe is going to run with or without the AC being on just as it conditions the batteries or anticipates use. I've often wondered if it also senses me approaching or is just doing internal maintenance (battery conditioning/heating/cooling). I'm just now starting to dip into the 45F/7C in the mornings, with frost a few weeks out.

Clicks and bonks are normal behaviors. What was your Model Y delivered to you?

Just recorded this quick. I do hear it making similar sounds in the garage w/o opening the door, but did it just to make it do it.

Thank you for posting your video! Yes, you have the same humming noise I have, even though it appears to be less loud than mine. I have heard personally a new Model Y with an even louder noise, so it is my understanding, every car has a different level of humming sound. And if you can't hear it from the inside cabin, that's cool. But if you can hear it and it is too loud, that'll be a hassle and that's exactly the problem we are discussing here. The clicks and bangs are Ok and completely normal. The servo noise is the octovalve system rotating inside, all normal.

I'd love to hear the humming noise from inside the cabin. That's key because it is from the inside that it is most annoying. Can you hear it from inside? Please, let us know.

Thank you again!

Reactions: Falcon73
I am supposed to take delivery at home next week, but I plan on changing it to a service center pickup in case I need to reject it for the noise issue. I don't expect any car to be silent. The car can be as loud as it wants from the outside, but I'm not sure if I can live with the noise if it is significantly audible from within the cabin.

MYP VIN: 269XXX

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
I am supposed to take delivery at home next week, but I plan on changing it to a service center pickup in case I need to reject it for the noise issue. I don't expect any car to be silent. The car can be as loud as it wants from the outside, but I'm not sure if I can live with the noise if it is significantly audible from within the cabin.

MYP VIN: 269XXX

Good point Kevin! Please, keep us posted with your experience. You'd be the first one that I know of refusing to take delivery because of this issue!

If I only knew when I got mine 3 months ago... 😢