Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sorry about that. To have your service center fix it, get ready to fight for it. Unless you are super lucky like @Cobra2077 above who could fix the problem without any effort, most of us had to fight with the Tesla service to just acknowledge the problem. They tend to be very dismissive about it. They keep saying that “it is not a problem” or that “it is normal," whereas it is not normal at all, it is a BIG quality problem. It may not be a “technical” or “safety” issue, but it just ruins the whole Tesla experience and lowers its overall quality.

Also, since we all know the problem is with the cooling system, what you need to push is to either replace the water pumps or, even better, to replace the whole supermanifold component. I pushed a lot with my own service center to replace the water pumps, and finally, they decided to replace them. The problem is not completely gone, but the noise has been reduced a great deal. In fact, I am still NOT satisfied! I am considering asking to replace the whole supermanifold as @Cobra2077 did above which fixed 100% of the problem.

Please, keep us posted and make sure to sign the petition on modelyissue.com. That's our last resort solution ;)
thanks for the feedback. My appointment is currently set for Nov-17 for other things. hopefully will have them review this that day if not sooner.

Reactions: fablau
I am sorry about that. To have your service center fix it, get ready to fight for it. Unless you are super lucky like @Cobra2077 above who could fix the problem without any effort, most of us had to fight with the Tesla service to just acknowledge the problem. They tend to be very dismissive about it. They keep saying that “it is not a problem” or that “it is normal," whereas it is not normal at all, it is a BIG quality problem. It may not be a “technical” or “safety” issue, but it just ruins the whole Tesla experience and lowers its overall quality.

Also, since we all know the problem is with the cooling system, what you need to push is to either replace the water pumps or, even better, to replace the whole supermanifold component. I pushed a lot with my own service center to replace the water pumps, and finally, they decided to replace them. The problem is not completely gone, but the noise has been reduced a great deal. In fact, I am still NOT satisfied! I am considering asking to replace the whole supermanifold as @Cobra2077 did above which fixed 100% of the problem.

Please, keep us posted and make sure to sign the petition on modelyissue.com. That's our last resort solution ;)
@fablau, make sure to get the Supermanifold assembly replaced as well. I have been driving my MY since they replaced the parts and since then and the noise is gone completely. 💯 gone. Can’t thank you enough @fablau, thanks to your trend

While my MYP doesn’t sound as loud sitting in the garage, it does still make the same noise as everyone else is experiencing when waking the car up. But when driving around with the AC on, it sounds like a lawnmower at a stoplight. Is that normal? It’s kind of embarrassing driving an EV that is louder than the gas powered cars sitting next to me at the stoplight…

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
While my MYP doesn’t sound as loud sitting in the garage, it does still make the same noise as everyone else is experiencing when waking the car up. But when driving around with the AC on, it sounds like a lawnmower at a stoplight. Is that normal? It’s kind of embarrassing driving an EV that is louder than the gas powered cars sitting next to me at the stoplight…

No, that's not normal. Any chances to upload a video showing the problem in action?

I just took delivery on my MYLR with a MF305 VIN. Though I knew about this from reading this thread and checked during delivery, I could not hear the noise. Later that day, I definitely notice the humming noise but it is when the car parked is with no fan/AC on. I can also hear it outside the car just like in your first video. However, I’m not sure I would have forgone delivery if I did notice it since I was ready for the car and you seemed to be making great headway on this issue here. Nonetheless, should the car be completely 100% quiet? If it should, I want it that way and it should be after spending a grip of coin. I have a service appointment on Nov. 10. I’m going to say that the car is making a humming noise, it should be quiet, and it is caused by defective water pumps and a defective super manifold, which all need to be replaced, and this is a known issue of which a fix has been documented (I’m going to provide the link in the Tesla app with a message to service to this thread). Is that the best approach in your opinion? Thanks again for all the work you’ve put into this. Perhaps it will start to take hold with Tesla as a known issue that they fix without gaslighting Tesla owners.

Last edited:
@fablau, make sure to get the Supermanifold assembly replaced as well. I have been driving my MY since they replaced the parts and since then and the noise is gone completely. 💯 gone. Can’t thank you enough @fablau, thanks to your trend
Would you be wiling to let us know what service center you had this done at? Perhaps when I bring my car in next week they can call your service center to confirm the fix? Would this help?

That's so awesome! Thank you for confirming that as well. I'll ask my service center to do that!

Ok, I discussed this with my technician, and he said that he could replace the whole thing but there is no guarantee the problem will be solved. Again, they don't know what's causing this problem, and the result is unknown. He also said, and it is also what I thought, that my car's noise could get even worse for whatever reason after a further replacement of components. Being this a "random" issue nobody knows the casusde of, I believe that's correct reasoning.

Considering the fact that the water pumps replacement they already performed on my car made my car's noise at acceptable levels, I am actually afraid to change the whole thing ending up with a worse level of noise. At this point, I'd personally wait and see how many other people have a successfull result by replacing the whole supermanifold. So far we've got two people. I'll personally wait for more.

About the petition we are building for everyone, I have a question: Anyone here is a lawyer or know a lawyer willing to help us writing a good petition for our case? We have reached 100 signatures and we'd like to proceed. Please, let me know. Free of charge is very welcome! ;)

Reactions: Falcon73
Ok, I discussed this with my technician, and he said that he could replace the whole thing but there is no guarantee the problem will be solved. Again, they don't know what's causing this problem, and the result is unknown. He also said, and it is also what I thought, that my car's noise could get even worse for whatever reason after a further replacement of components. Being this a "random" issue nobody knows the casusde of, I believe that's correct reasoning.

Considering the fact that the water pumps replacement they already performed on my car made my car's noise at acceptable levels, I am actually afraid to change the whole thing ending up with a worse level of noise. At this point, I'd personally wait and see how many other people have a successfull result by replacing the whole supermanifold. So far we've got two people. I'll personally wait for more.

About the petition we are building for everyone, I have a question: Anyone here is a lawyer or know a lawyer willing to help us writing a good petition for our case? We have reached 100 signatures and we'd like to proceed. Please, let me know. Free of charge is very welcome! ;)
That is even worse situation. Hit or trial is not the right approach to solve a problem. If they agree to the problem, they must first try to root cause it, identify a permanent fix and then address it on all affected vehicles.

That is even worse situation. Hit or trial is not the right approach to solve a problem. If they agree to the problem, they must first try to root cause it, identify a permanent fix and then address it on all affected vehicles.

Exactly, that's what I meant ;) We must push to have Tesla making some research to find out exactly what's causing this problem, and then apply a definitive fix for everyone.

I went to Fremont Service center this morning. The technician was more accommodating this time and spent lot more time listening to my concern. I was able to produce loud noise under all conditions - parked, AC on, pre-conditioning on for super charging. He listened to all the noises carefully but unfortunately came back with "its normal" answer. He also took my car to run some thermal tests but that test came out normal. They said Tesla started putting heat pumps in 2021 Model 3 and Model Y which is causing this noise. According to them it is not a defect but a feature of the pump and we have to live with it.

I went to Fremont Service center this morning. The technician was more accommodating this time and spent lot more time listening to my concern. I was able to produce loud noise under all conditions - parked, AC on, pre-conditioning on for super charging. He listened to all the noises carefully but unfortunately came back with "its normal" answer. He also took my car to run some thermal tests but that test came out normal. They said Tesla started putting heat pumps in 2021 Model 3 and Model Y which is causing this noise. According to them it is not a defect but a feature of the pump and we have to live with it.

I am sorry, but he's wrong. Did you ask him to compare your Model 3 (or Y) with a Model Y produced before June 2021? All Model Ys before that date don't have this problem, and yet, they have the same exact cooling system. Even many other Model Ys and Model 3 produced nowadays are completely silent (as we well know from people posting here and somewhere else), and yet, they all have the same system.

Of course, the thermal system works and therefore the test result on it is "normal".... but what about the damn noise? Nobody cares about that.

I am sorry to say it, but they dismissed the problem, again.

Reactions: Everlast
As an additional comment to @ashwanigupta's posting above, I must say that every time a Tesla technician dismisses the problem saying that's "normal" they risk losing a customer.... and a fan. Forever. Also, diminishes Tesla's quality making it appear cheap. They are noisier than an ICE car, can you believe it? And they say "it is normal"! How funny... [irony intended] At least an ICE car is quiet when parked and turned off, right? And nowadays, many ICE cars are hybrids, so... they are quiet when parked and stopped on the road even if they are not even turned off. Just additional thoughts on the typical service's behavior handling this issue. Shameful and disrespectful towards their customers and Tesla itself.

Reactions: Everlast
As an additional comment to @ashwanigupta's posting above, I must say that every time a Tesla technician dismisses the problem saying that's "normal" they risk losing a customer.... and a fan. Forever. Also, diminishes Tesla's quality making it appear cheap. They are noisier than an ICE car, can you believe it? And they say "it is normal"! How funny... [irony intended] At least an ICE car is quiet when parked and turned off, right? And nowadays, many ICE cars are hybrids, so... they are quiet when parked and stopped on the road even if they are not even turned off. Just additional thoughts on the typical service's behavior handling this issue. Shameful and disrespectful towards their customers and Tesla itself.
Absolutely agree. I was in love with Tesla till I actually bought it. This is going to my last Tesla for sure. Actually all modern cars, hybrids or not, have automatic engine cut off while waiting at a traffic light so they are completely quiet but Tesla is the opposite now. I hear the most noise when I am waiting at traffic light.

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
I am sorry, but he's wrong. Did you ask him to compare your Model 3 (or Y) with a Model Y produced before June 2021? All Model Ys before that date don't have this problem, and yet, they have the same exact cooling system. Even many other Model Ys and Model 3 produced nowadays are completely silent (as we well know from people posting here and somewhere else), and yet, they all have the same system.

Of course, the thermal system works and therefore the test result on it is "normal".... but what about the damn noise? Nobody cares about that.

I am sorry to say it, but they dismissed the problem, again.
I asked him to compare with older 2021 Model 3 as well, he said that's quiet possible as some of them may not be using the advanced heat pump. I even asked to compare with recent models and he had the standard answer that he cannot use customer cars for this purpose.

Absolutely agree. I was in love with Tesla till I actually bought it. This is going to my last Tesla for sure. Actually all modern cars, hybrids or not, have automatic engine cut off while waiting at a traffic light so they are completely quiet but Tesla is the opposite now. I hear the most noise when I am waiting at traffic light.

That's exactly what I meant! I am not a car expert!

I asked him to compare with older 2021 Model 3 as well, he said that's quiet possible as some of them may not be using the advanced heat pump. I even asked to compare with recent models and he had the standard answer that he cannot use customer cars for this purpose.

I had the same exact reply. About the Model 3s, yes, that's right, I have a 2019 Model 3 which doesn't have the heat pump (and it is super quiet). But I have tried older Model Ys with a heat pump and they were super quiet. I also had the answer "we can't use customers' cars for this purpose". Well, at first I seconded that and asked to show a model Model Y they could have there as a loaner or for showcase, and that's what they did. And there were two, one of the employees. And they were both quet. Then, when they acknowledged that there was a difference, we tried to understand why my new Model Y had this problem, and they could pull out a customer's new Model Y to compare. And that one had our same noise problem. So... if they want to, they can do it. They just tend to dismiss and ignore the problem as much as they can. I am sorry, but that's how they do.

At this point, if they are in complete denial, I'd change the service center. Another option is to contact your local Tesla Owners Club and ask for help from them. They usually can help with this sort of things. They are able to deal directly with the service centers and Tesla headquarters ;)