Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - energy or distance

Do you display % or Mile-range (energy or distance)

• Energy

Votes: 80 58.0%
  • Distance

Votes: 58 42.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mayhem

Professional F5 Presser
Apr 27, 2018
USA
Always did distance, but it's really never correct. Knowing in general the range I get at 100, 90 and 80%, it really is only useful to track if if my need for range is getting close to those limits. So I started tracking %battery instead of miles range. Am I crazy?

Last edited:
I once did the same as you, just to try out the percentage. Didn't feel it was any more useful, so I switched it back.

the mileage reading is based on the state of charge of the battery, which is the percentage. So as far as usefulness, I consider them the same. Neither can tell you how LONG you have left before you drain your battery. Energy graph reading, however, is much more useful.

I once did the same as you, just to try out the percentage. Didn't feel it was any more useful, so I switched it back.

the mileage reading is based on the state of charge of the battery, which is the percentage. So as far as usefulness, I consider them the same. Neither can tell you how LONG you have left before you drain your battery. Energy graph reading, however, is much more useful.
Agreed. The energy graph is the shizz... I use it whenever I'll go on a trip where when I get to destination I'll be at 30% SOC or lower!

When I first got the car in September I used % mostly except for trips. When cold weather came I started using miles. I have a kWH meter installed on the breaker to my 14-50 receptacle and I also have TOU metering. By taking Range Miles needed / 4, I could estimate the kWH meter reading to charge. By taking the Range Miles needed / 30 mph charge rate, I could estimate the hours needed to charge. I could then set the charge start time so that it completes just before end of TOU Off-Peak hours.

When using % I was always having to convert % to miles. So I just changed to miles.

I know what my driving experience yields so I go with percentage. Over the long haul (>10k miles now on AWD) I see 250 miles or so range. So, I just multiple each 10% by 25 when I want to know miles. Easier than dividing by 30 and then multiplying by 25 to see the real mileage left.

Reactions: Mayhem
I know what my driving experience yields so I go with percentage. Over the long haul (>10k miles now on AWD) I see 250 miles or so range. So, I just multiple each 10% by 25 when I want to know miles. Easier than dividing by 30 and then multiplying by 25 to see the real mileage left.
Same here, figuring every 10% is ~26 miles on my MR works for me. Only really take notice when I'm in the yellow (50 miles to empty) and them briefly panic to find a charger/home
I'm the only Tesla at work and I like people's reaction better when I tell them I use roughly 30% of my battery per day (80ish miles total).

I started with Miles and switched to % SoC. Ideal miles is misleading; it's only right when the real world conditions are the same as how the car was tested by the EPA, and there many parameters to consider: wind, level of road, road surface, number passengers, outside temp, inside temp setting, tire pressure etc. If the predicted range were displayed, which is based on past usage, that would be far more useful. Using %SoC and then multiply it to the battery capacity and then dividing it by the energy usage you'll get the range based on past usage.

If you look at ICE configurations, you generally see % effectively on the 1/4 1/2 3/4 Full gauge. A number of cars now show a range, but I think that most folks only marginally trust it.

Too many people are trying to make the gauges exact, and they aren't. If you take Distance as a rough number, then it is as good as %, just effectively different numbers.
If you want to see what a "close to reality" distance representation is, that's what the energy graphs are for.

So let me ask the question, when in %, aren't you just multiplying by 3 in your head anyway?

I keep energy mostly so it matches the navigation energy at destination (and return).

Also, when I had mileage, my wife would start getting passenger range anxiety whenever it would get close to 100 miles range (even if we were less than 10 miles from home). She doesn't get anxiety when on energy.

I keep energy mostly so it matches the navigation energy at destination (and return).

Also, when I had mileage, my wife would start getting passenger range anxiety whenever it would get close to 100 miles range (even if we were less than 10 miles from home). She doesn't get anxiety when on energy.
On the flip side my wife places entirely too much trust in the mileage. She thought I was silly when I said we'd have to slow down to 60mph to make it to the SC on a recent trip. In her mind the range was like 40 more miles than the distance traveled so we'd be good. Sure enough I slowed to 60mph for most of the trip and we made it with like 1-2% remaining. Any time we are road tripping I make sure she uses the energy trip graph.

Reactions: TT97
P3D here.

I like miles much more. I get about 50% of rated range plus a safety margin, thus I divide the indicated in half, and know I have 15 or 20 miles of buffer.

For some reason that's easier than multiplying energy by 1.5x.

Last edited: