Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for California Drivers - Did You Install Your Front License Plate?

Did you install your front California license plates?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In SanFrancisco Bay area they are brutal on no front license plates. Most other places don't really care.
I have been driving in the Bay Area for over 2 decades and except for one ticket from a parking enforcement officer never had an issue with the front license plate. Perhaps I have been lucky or drive where they don't care. I do much of my driving in the East Bay and some in in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and Palo Alto.

Well ... now I believe jboy with the posts and pictures here. It seems that the onus for this is on the owner who drives the car. So, Tesla may or may not put the front license plate holder on.
My experience, 4 cars delivered from 3 different locations, is Tesla by me never puts on the front license plate bracket.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Can you cite a source for this? I've been pulled over for just tint and just front plates several times before. I've also read much of the CA vehicle code book many times and never saw anything like this not have I heard if any statute or case laws that supports this.
I think there have been various pieces of legislation proposed at both CA state and local municipality levels to limit "pretext stops", including some recently, but I don't think they have passed. But if they did, I don't think it would be written into the vehicle code, as it is about police behavior, not driver behavior, so it would be enforced as part of the criminal justice systems.

But here is a recent article I found about a police policy implemented by San Francisco PD, listing nine specific infractions that they won't do pretext stops for. Note it is police policy, not written into the vehicle code nor the lawbooks:

Pretext Stops in San Francisco: Will Reforms Reduce Violence and Injustice? | Stanford Law School

About whether Tesla delivery centers affix the front plate holder or not, my Model S delivered in Palo Alto came with the front holder affixed (I always remember because I was hasty with a screwdriver to pry the adhesive tape off and put a triangular gouge in the paint). However, can corroborate none of the ten Model 3's being picked up the same morning as mine at the Fremont delivery center had front holders affixed. So I think it varies...

fremont.jpg

I think there have been various pieces of legislation proposed at both CA state and local municipality levels to limit "pretext stops", including some recently, but I don't think they have passed. But if they did, I don't think it would be written into the vehicle code, as it is about police behavior, not driver behavior, so it would be enforced as part of the criminal justice systems.

But here is a recent article I found about a police policy implemented by San Francisco PD, listing nine specific infractions that they won't do pretext stops for. Note it is police policy, not written into the vehicle code nor the lawbooks:

Pretext Stops in San Francisco: Will Reforms Reduce Violence and Injustice? | Stanford Law School

About whether Tesla delivery centers affix the front plate holder or not, my Model S delivered in Palo Alto came with the front holder affixed (I always remember because I was hasty with a screwdriver to pry the adhesive tape off and put a triangular gouge in the paint). However, can corroborate none of the ten Model 3's being picked up the same morning as mine at the Fremont delivery center had front holders affixed. So I think it varies...

View attachment 977583
I think the point is there is no such laws that prevent police from doing so. Local police departments may have their own policy, but what matters more I think for most people are the CHP. If CHP has no such policy, then there is always a chance of getting pulled over (as people have attested to). This is putting aside police do not always follow their policies fully, especially if the policy is not based on an actual law.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Nope, at least not if you pick up at the Fremont factory. They throw the front license plate bracket and baggie of screws in the frunk. Installation is a "left as an exercise for the owner". Just like the odd number problems in Calculus class.
yes, actually this is being done on all the cars at all the factories now. Front mount gets placed in the trunk.

Reactions: jboy210
Same deal for me in SF, it was meter enforcement. The cops generally don't bother, they have other things to deal with.
yes, like trying to chase down the huge number of smash and grab thieves. Just this last week we had a relative come in from Korea for a wedding. In only ONE DAY of being in SF, someone smashed the window to get inside. Fortunately, nothing was left in the rental car and it was insured, so didn't cost them anything, yet sure leaves the impression that unlike their hometown, safety is a much bigger problem in SF and leaves a bad image for travelers. I don't even go there anymore after having lived there for 30 years.

in california a cop isnt really allowed to pull you over for the sole purpose of not having a front license plate, same goes to window tints. there must be another reason. it could be another bullsh*t reason such as a dim taillight, and then they can tack on other stuff onto the ticket such as missing a front plate.
I've got a friend at SRPD that disagrees with that statement. Maybe policies have changed.

I finally put the front plate on the Model 3. My kid has to take the driver license test and one of the test givers in our local DMV is known to check if the car has front plate or not. He would send the person home to reschedule the test if the car has no front plate or the front windows tint is too dark. The stickers on the OEM front plate frame still work great after 5 years LOL.