Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for California Drivers - Did You Install Your Front License Plate?

Did you install your front California license plates?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not in CA, but also need a front plate in NJ. Been pulled over 2x in the last 12 months with "Did you know that you need a front plate sir?" No tickets, real nice officers, but it's a PITA. The plate wrap sounds like a fantastic idea!

Just got license plates for my MY.

Last six weeks I’ve noticed many Tesla’s on California freeways don’t have front license plates, maybe half. Pretty sure it’s only a fix it ticket, if stopped.

What say you?

View attachment 946709
Did you install your front license plate ... its the law. And I hope you don't put more than 70% tint on your front windows. That would be illegal.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
If you live in a state that requires a front plate, why in the name of ****, would one want to provide a reason for the cops to pull you over !?

None of my cars have front plates and I have never been pulled over for it.

All of my cars have tinted windows and only once in 30+yrs of driving have I been pulled over for it.

On freeways where the speed limit is 65, I carefully pass cop cars at 75 and have not been pulled over for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert
Same for me. The only time I have every gotten a ticket for no front license plate was in Berkeley 12+ years ago and while the car was parked. I think the ticket ran $20. I will gladly pay less that $1/year to not have a front license plate.
Hi J. Yup that is me. I never put on a front plate in the 40 years I lived there. I think I got stopped once.
Over here in Nevada, it was a law on the books for a long time, but in the last few years, it has changed. DMV says if the car comes with a front mounting or holes for a plate, then it is required. Otherwise not required. So no plate needed for the wife's new MY. I thought that sounded a bit strange so I asked our neighbor (Highway Patrol) and he said that is right. Wouldn't it be great if California would do that (assuming they already are not doing it).

Same for me. The only time I have every gotten a ticket for no front license plate was in Berkeley 12+ years ago and while the car was parked. I think the ticket ran $20. I will gladly pay less that $1/year to not have a front license plate.
Oh J, one other thing. You got my attention, so I texted one of my friends in San Ramon PD to ask him. He said "The penalty for driving in California without a front license plate is a fine that can be up to $196. Although it isn't something routinely reviewed unless something else catches attention. Too many other things to take up the day."

Oh J, one other thing. You got my attention, so I texted one of my friends in San Ramon PD to ask him. He said "The penalty for driving in California without a front license plate is a fine that can be up to $196. Although it isn't something routinely reviewed unless something else catches attention. Too many other things to take up the day."
Thanks G. Good to know the cops view this as something way down their list. I think the time I got a ticket for this in Bezkerkly it was from one of the meter enforcement people on a scooter, not a cop in a car or motorcycle.

Thanks G. Good to know the cops view this as something way down their list. I think the time I got a ticket for this in Bezkerkly it was from one of the meter enforcement people on a scooter, not a cop in a car or motorcycle.
Same deal for me in SF, it was meter enforcement. The cops generally don't bother, they have other things to deal with.

I was in NY last month, saw lots of cars without front plates.

That's true, lots of people don't use front plates.

The "strength in numbers" idiom is wise and applicable in many areas in life, but not for front license plate usage.

Even if 90% of the population drives without a front plate, it still gives the police permission to pull over any individual driver doing it.

I got pulled over once for having an air freshener tree hanging from my rear view mirror - never did that again.

I'm in NY and we do require front plates. I'm also in the camp of "why give them a reason to pull you over?".

At delivery, a Tesla employee slapped an adhesive plate mount on the front, free of charge. Do they not do that in CA?
Nope, at least not if you pick up at the Fremont factory. They throw the front license plate bracket and baggie of screws in the frunk. Installation is a "left as an exercise for the owner". Just like the odd number problems in Calculus class.

• Informative