Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you charge?

How do you mainly charge your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if Tesla released their usage data. There are around 2 millions of Tesla owners and we have less than 200 people voted.
Agree, if you can back up your actions with factual statistical data then that would prevent a lot of the mis-trust that occurs when someone just makes a blanket statement such as "super low usage". If the data is there, then at least you know why the decision was made.

It would be nice if Tesla released their usage data. There are around 2 millions of Tesla owners and we have less than 200 people voted.
Yeah that would be cool. Even Tesla-fi doesn't have enough data I mean 12k users and that would also skew the numbers to just battery geeks. Most average car owners don't even join a car forum. And those non-enthusiast user I would imaged don't want to be messing around with a mobile charger and a scary 14-50 plug. I know my wife wouldn't be messing with it she would be getting a wall charger installed.

She even had me turn the breaker off to my extra 6-50 outlet right next to her car because nothing is plugged in to it.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yeah that would be cool. Even Tesla-fi doesn't have enough data I mean 12k users and that would also skew the numbers to just battery geeks. Most average car owners don't even join a car forum. And those non-enthusiast user I would imaged don't want to be messing around with a mobile charger and a scary 14-50 plug. I know my wife wouldn't be messing with it she would be getting a wall charger installed.

She even had me turn the breaker off to my extra one right next to her car because nothing is plugged in to it.
It’s funny that I have been using MC for past 2.5 years and never thought about getting a wall connector. My Initial reaction was negative like many others but after giving a hard thought about why I am using MC when I can have Wall connector and charge faster for the price of new X box or PS5. I realized that I was simply being cheap. I went ahead and ordered WC.

Reactions: OliverM3
It’s funny that I have been using MC for past 2.5 years and never thought about getting a wall connector. My Initial reaction was negative like many others but after giving a hard thought about why I am using MC when I can have Wall connector and charge faster for the price of new X box or PS5. I realized that I was simply being cheap. I went ahead and ordered WC.
I feel safer somehow having the MC in the car and didn't want to buy a spare or keep unplugging it so I went with a WC.
You know it's not like if I run out on the road I'm going to knock on some random house and have a beer and hook up my MC.
I would probably call a tow truck or just go to a supercharger before I ran out.

I just finished self-installing a 220v outlet in my garage so I could specifically use the "included charger". With an OD 2/28 and a pushback today of 05/27-6/01, I better get it or a voucher for one whenever the heck it comes back in stock. With this crappy news and tens of thousands of suckers like us having to purchase one, I'm guessing they'll need to repurpose Giga Texas into a Mobile Connector plant. I'd like to know who the heck they polled that brought them to this decision.
So, they didn't poll you. Have you done a poll? Did your poll discover that only 25% of people use their mobile chargers while mainly charging at superchargers or L2 chargers near their home?

Having to purchase a mobile charger simply means that Tesla has not included something you might not use and charged you for it. With many people using other forms of charging, it only makes sense, and $65 will not break anyone after they've spent thousands of dollars on a car and already added a few hundred more dollars in protective film and other personalized items. Quit moaning and buy a charger if you need one. Those that don't won't be dinged with the expense of an item they will never use. It's only fair.

I, too, "self" installed a $20 220-volt outlet, and I use it every night. It is far cheaper than me driving 30 miles to a supercharger, and far, far cheaper than filling my car with gas as in the old days.

I am talking about my post above.
It was in regards to how you perceive the poll could be inaccurate due to a plethora of non-Tesla owners possibly voting and bumping up the MC usage. This is based on your obvious fan boy status. This is clearly a non-scientific, just for fun poll, but to mention "This poll is not going to show true usage since there is no way to tell if voters own Tesla" is pretty hilarious.

I'm sure if the MC poll was showing 2.9%, you would not be making the same comment. You would be stating how great of a decision this was.

• Funny
I feel safer somehow having the MC in the car and didn't want to buy a spare or keep unplugging it so I went with a WC.
You know it's not like if I run out on the road I'm going to knock on some random house and have a beer and hook up my MC.
I would probably call a tow truck or just go to a supercharger before I ran out.
So why DO you carry your MC around? It was made to unplug, but I haven't unplugged mine in years and years. Why would you "keep unplugging it?" Why not just leave it plugged into the outlet and plug it into the car every night? Even on a trip, my MC is at home, plugged into the wall, and I use superchargers.

In my view, the only benefit of the wall connector is it's faster. If you're charging at night, that is not a benefit, as both methods will have your car full every morning. It is, though, more expensive, and although I could afford it, NOT affording it is the smarter choice. If I'm going on a trip where I plan to charge at residential outlets, I put the MC in the frunk, otherwise it stays plugged into my 220-volt outlet at home.

This poll does not have my regular charger. I have a Bosch unit with a Tesla plug installed. It's worked perfectly for eight years and three Teslas. My most recent one, an S Plaid has not yet used a Supercharger although it does sometimes get some electrons from hotel chargers or ones in shopping locations.

I have not used my mobile charger since ~2018 on a previous Tesla road trip across Canada.

It was in regards to how you perceive the poll could be inaccurate due to a plethora of non-Tesla owners possibly voting and bumping up the MC usage. This is based on your obvious fan boy status. This is clearly a non-scientific, just for fun poll, but to mention "This poll is not going to show true usage since there is no way to tell if voters own Tesla" is pretty hilarious.

I'm sure if the MC poll was showing 2.9%, you would not be making the same comment. You would be stating how great of a decision this was.
I mean the poll is definitely not accurate 100%. It's 200 people it was what 150 when the comment was posted. Even if every single person on this forum voted it's still not accurate.

So why DO you carry your MC around? It was made to unplug, but I haven't unplugged mine in years and years. Why would you "keep unplugging it?" Why not just leave it plugged into the outlet and plug it into the car every night? Even on a trip, my MC is at home, plugged into the wall, and I use superchargers.

In my view, the only benefit of the wall connector is it's faster. If you're charging at night, that is not a benefit, as both methods will have your car full every morning. It is, though, more expensive, and although I could afford it, NOT affording it is the smarter choice. If I'm going on a trip where I plan to charge at residential outlets, I put the MC in the frunk, otherwise it stays plugged into my 220-volt outlet at home.
Just range anxiety I will get over it I'm sure after I start getting a feel for it. This is only the first few months of ownership. If I did it again I wouldn't care or order the MC with a new car. As for it being made to unplug I wouldn't be able to do the 120v where that's possible. I drive 100 miles per day so it would be constantly unplugging my 6-50 or 14-50 outlet.

Lol I just did state that with same assumption that this poll aint showing anything in regards of real usage.

I mean the poll is definitely not accurate 100%. It's 200 people it was what 150 when the comment was posted. Even if every single person on this forum voted it's still not accurate.

Lol I just did state that with same assumption that this poll aint showing anything in regards of real usage.
If the poll was showing a 2.9% MC usage rate neither of you would be talking about the accuracy of this poll. I don't think anyone here would take this poll with more than a grain of salt, except for you two.