Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many are still using original 12V Battery that came with the car?

Is your Model 3 still using its original 12 volt battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you replaced it yourself?
I did! I got the battery at Tesla when I had to go for Front upper control arm replacement, then, I kept it as a backup for a roadtrip; but eventually caved in and swapped out the original after 48months. Followed some instructions on youtube. Quite easy, took about 20mins, but I could easily see someone doing it in 10mins or less.

I hadn't either until they pulled it out of my car!
I have seen AGM batteries bulge before. They are easy to overheat if you use flooded lead acid charging parameters. You have to limit float charging to 13.8VDC on AGM vs. 14.4VDC on flooded batteries.

Also, if you parallel two AGM batteries like in a UPS, the internal resistance won’t be exactly the same and the one with the lower resistance will take more current and overheat.

Still running the original but did get a message on Saturday on the screen as well as a push notification to replace the 12v battery, mobile service is scheduled to come replace it on Friday, so 4 years, 9 months and 157,000km. Car still runs, but usb ports have been shutdown as well as the dashcam, not sure if anything else is affected. Once thing i do notice is it's much quicker to unlock the door when you pull the handle, probably due to not going to sleep, i havn't heard the contactors open or close since, guessing it's leaving the HV battery one all the time due to the 12V battery state. Did about 1000km since the message came on.
shows the following messages.
1. "Electrical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy while idle."
2. "Electrical system unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy."

I was out in my Model 3 today, and after getting back in the car, I noticed the black circle / yellow triangle alert button on the screen. What's this about? So I pressed it and read the alerts.

The OEM 12 volt battery is finally losing it.

Not bad, my 3 was built in April '18, and I took delivery on May 8. So that is 5 years and 2-3 months depending on how you count it. And 116,000 miles, and 5 years of Pittsburgh winters.

I've read a lot of posts here about the OEM battery dying in 2-3-4 years, so I think I did pretty good, getting past 5 years. I'd rather change it now than in January!

Mobile service tech appointment is already set up for tomorrow morning.

• Informative
Reactions: ro_explorer
Likewise. My 3 is a 2018 as well. Mobile tech came, replaced battery - all done in 20 min. He was super impressed I got 5+ years out of it too.

Most impressive (to me) - I got a mobile notification to my app - that's how I found out. The messaging they provide is pretty dire (your car may stop working at any time) but the tech said he's seen folks last 3+ days with that message. And knowing how humans operate - a little bit of urgency is never a bad thing.

Likewise. My 3 is a 2018 as well. Mobile tech came, replaced battery - all done in 20 min. He was super impressed I got 5+ years out of it too.

Most impressive (to me) - I got a mobile notification to my app - that's how I found out. The messaging they provide is pretty dire (your car may stop working at any time) but the tech said he's seen folks last 3+ days with that message. And knowing how humans operate - a little bit of urgency is never a bad thing.
When my wife's Model 3 12V battery died after 3 years, it happened within 24 hours of getting the first alert in the car. I don't think they had the notifications from the app at that time, but if they did, I didn't get one.