Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Model 3 Options, what will you spend your money on?

What options will you spend your money on?

• AWD

Votes: 307 64.8%
  • Performance AWD (Ludicrous Speed Upgrade)

Votes: 117 24.7%
  • Interior Upgrade Package (Leather, etc.)

Votes: 239 50.4%
  • Upgraded Wheels

Votes: 91 19.2%
  • Premium Paint (Three-Stage colors or Matte Finish options)

Votes: 147 31.0%
  • Larger Battery

Votes: 402 84.8%
  • Glass Panel Roof

Votes: 249 52.5%
  • Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 170 35.9%
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package

Votes: 163 34.4%
  • Other (Please write in a reply)

Votes: 77 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larger batter, AWD are most important. The rest depend on cost. I've never been a moonroof person, but that glass looks awesome. Not sure how much it will cost. Maybe a sound package, or HUD package if it exists.

I would love some laser headlights, and connections for front/rear dash cams.

My list of importance:
Larger Battery
AWD
Performance AWD
Glass Panorama Roof
Interior Upgrade Package
Smart Air Suspension

I'll probably get my Model 3 loaded, depending on the pricing. If it comes out below 65k I'll get it loaded to the top. Anything above 65k I'll start picking based on need then want.

My estimates:
AWD $2500
Performance AWD (Ludicrous Speed Upgrade) $3000
Interior Upgrade Package (Leather, etc.) $3000
Upgraded Wheels $1000
Premium Paint (Three-Stage colors or Matte Finish options) $1000
Larger Battery $5000
Glass Panel Roof $3000
Smart Air Suspension $1500
Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package $800
Total = $20,800

Fully Loaded Model 3 = $55,000

• Disagree
Reactions: EV33 and musicious
lol no way a fully loaded 3 will be above 55k or so.

We know (or are extremely confident) based on announced features and current pricing for S and X there will be:
  • Autopilot convenience features ($2500 for S)
  • AWD (<$5000 based on a tweet yesterday so say $4000)
  • Larger battery (which is $12,000 currently, so let's say $9,000 for Model 3)
  • Luxury package ($3000 for S, so let's say $2000)
  • Cold weather ($1000 for S, little price savings for Model 3)
  • Sound system ($2500 for S, so say $1500)
  • Premium paint ($1000) and
  • Supercharger access fee ($2000 when S owners had to pay for that as a line item)
  • Premium wheels ($1000)
  • And very likely a performance upgrade as well ($5000 for S, say $4000 for Model 3).

So we're up to $64,000. And this may not be fair, but if you're budgeting with the true cost, with 7.5% CA sales tax and $990 delivery we're at $69,790. All of the above are reasonable expectations for features and prices. If we knock off the PxxD version as an option it's still $65,000.

Last edited:
So we're up to $64,000. With 7.5% CA sales tax and $990 delivery we're at $69,790. All of the above are reasonable expectations for features and prices. If we knock off the PxxD version as an option it's still $65,000.

I forgot about taxes I guess, but I think you're estimates are way off. Remember, this is a mass produced car, stuff is going to be much cheaper than the S.

I forgot about taxes I guess, but I think you're estimates are way off. Remember, this is a mass produced car, stuff is going to be much cheaper than the S.

True, but I discounted the options by 25% overall (all those features on the S added up are $38,500, it's only $29,000 with my Model 3 estimates). I mean, I hope I'm off, and the battery is the biggest variable (how much kWh, how cheap can Gigafactory make it, etc) so I definitely could be wrong by a few thousand, but we're not even talking about 'extra' features like roof options or adjustable ride height or dual chargers. The only way $55,000 is the top price before taxes/delivery, assuming those options are all available, is if we get a full 50% off all those items in the list (vs the Model S) and there's no other options like those things just mentioned. So then the other way to get there is to just not have some of those options, but I can't think what options they'd want to jettison.

Last edited:
My #1 priority upgrade is the battery. If I can get the range of 70D in the Model 3, that would be sweet. If they happen to be larger capacity to give me more than 70D range, I'll pour all my upgrade there.

Second on the list would be the interior or stereo, depending on what they end up with.

Having the all Pano in 70D now, paying for it was a waste. While it does look cool, that is not important to me.

We're probably a year and some change away from knowing the answer, so this speculation is kinda futile, but I do think everything will be much cheaper for the 3 compared to the S. The starting price is HALF for a car that is essentially identical. The only reason I could see some options being inflated, is because they made the 3 too cheap. I still think they should have made it a 40k car. I bet when it's all said and done their margins will be razor thin. Either way, I'm probably going to get a moderately optioned car, nothing fancy. That huge glass is nice, but I'm not paying 3 grand for it, nor am I going to pay another thousand for a 1 second 0-60 upgrade that will cost me even more in rubber :D.

Oh yeah, I'm really impressed with the price cuts they did so far. I think that's why I'm assuming they won't go crazy with cutting costs on options; if their profits are razor thin already, they might see options as the key to make a profit, at least for now since they are a (relatively) low-volume manufacturer.

I too am not planning on getting anything too fancy - $35,000 is still a decent chunk for a car. I know I'm getting AP, and AWD for <$5000 is a good deal if it improves range and the life of the battery (and my driveway is 900 feet long, so if it saves me some morning snow removal, great!). Nothing else is really needed aside from heated seats for me (std on the S).

Although I didn't put it in the poll, I may (grudgingly) get a larger battery if it winds up making the difference between getting the tax rebate or not. Seems like it would likely eat up almost all my rebate but if I have to spend $7,500 to upgrade the battery and get a $7,500 credit or not get the battery and not qualify it's a no brainer

Although I didn't put it in the poll, I may (grudgingly) get a larger battery if it winds up making the difference between getting the tax rebate or not. Seems like it would likely eat up almost all my rebate but if I have to spend $7,500 to upgrade the battery and get a $7,500 credit or not get the battery and not qualify it's a no brainer

It's going to be funny watching the madhouse unravel when these start shipping. People who's orders got delayed because the full glass was in short supply, or seat material etc. I don't think we'll know how to order the magical early model. I think at minimum, bigger battery is a must for an early order.

I think $55k may be a better bet. Elon said well optioned would be $42k, or $7k over base. Double that and you're still only at $49k. Still leaves another $6k for performance type option.

Seems legit.
No, he said the average option mix (i.e. selling price) would be $42k. I think the upper $60's is probably right for a maxed out M3..

Last edited:
lol no way a fully loaded 3 will be above 55k or so.

Want to make a bet on that?

Here are my estimates:

Base $ 35,000.00
Supercharging $ 1,500
Paint $ 1,000.00
Larger battery $ 7,500.00
AWD $ 4,000.00
Wheels $ 2,500.00
Auto-Pilot $ 2,500.00
Leather Seats $ 2,000.00
Premium Interior $ 2,500.00
Panoramic Roof $ 1,500.00
Fancy trim (Carbon fiber) $ 750.00
HiFi $ 2,000.00
Sub-Zero $ 1,000.00
Peformance $ 10,000.00
Ludicrous $ 5,000.00
Smart Air Suspension $ 2,500.00
Carbon Fiber Spoiler $ 1,000.00
Grand total: $82,250.00 (pre tax and delivery fees)

Maybe I didn't discount some of the options enough, but surely we are going to easily go past $55k.

• Love
Reactions: musicious