Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll Model 3 range expectation

Poll Model 3 range expectation

• Don't mind at all the model 3 is a much better car in all other aspects.

• Disappointed expect at least the same range as a GM Bolt. 215miles is now old school

• Very disappointed I expect superior range than the Bolt- Its Tesla man! not GM

• Wouldnt care less as im buying top model battery pack

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well now that GM released the official range of the Bolt (238miles) and are hinting price match. Would you still be happy if the base model M3 would have the minimum Elon Musk quoted range of 215miles? Considering release date is a year later than the bolt for most people in the US. It would be interesting to see what affect the GM Bolt had on M3 reservation holders.

Elon has said the base 3 is less than 60, and it looks like the Bolt is a _useable_ 60, or what Tesla would call 70. So, I would not be surprised at all if base Bolt beats base 3 in EPA range.

That said, if you can pay more money and put 80 or 100 in the 3, then it's a moo point.

and it looks like the Bolt is a _useable_ 60, or what Tesla would call 70.
More like what Tesla would call a 65. And for all we know, even Tesla may change over to report their net-battery for the Gen-III cars, and not a bit more then the gross-battery as they have done so far on the Gen-II cars.

And remember that Model 3 will get better aerodynamics, so it may not need the same size battery to get the same (or better) range. The Bolt may get a better city mileage, but Model 3 may still get a better highway mileage. And that the range that counts...

Reactions: Red Sage
Not sure why I should care about the range on a car I don't own. Either a car meets my range needs or it doesn't. And I can't imagine that there are many people for whom the difference between 215 and 238 is a make-or-break decision.

That said, I am a fan of Tesla and want to see their master plan succeed. That means that they NEED other car makers to produce enticing EV products. A 238 mile range Bolt is great news for Tesla.

Thank you kindly.

I hope the competition spurs Tesla to bump up their base pack size a bit- say from 50 to 55kw, just to not be outshone by the Bolt. I've always suspected the 215 to be a conservative estimate anyway= Tesla is finally learning underpromise/overdeliver.

Of course we all know there will be a big pack D model that probably goes 300+! :)

Looks like the test drivers have said it easily exceeded the 238... getting at least 240 miles with AC on and going up and down steep inclines at speed:

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV first drive: 240 miles in an electric car

Seems that GM cherry picked the route a bit. They bypassed 101 for a lot of the route, so they were driving less than 55 mph for most of the time. Nobody in their right mind would take coastal Highway 1 from Santa Barbara to Monterey if they wanted to get there in any reasonable amount of time.

I've driven that in less than 3.5 hours easily in my ICE. Add in a supercharger stop to get you the rest of the way and it's only a four hour drive or less. Way shorter than the Bolt's 6 hour trek.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and Red Sage
1) We don't know what the final rated Model 3 range will be. I remember Elon saying at least 215 miles. Was that referencing the upgrade option, or the potential for more range on the base battery? IDK. But just like the Bolt was "at least 200 miles" range initially, we'll just have to wait and see.

2) When I think of range greater than 200 miles, I'm thinking long distance driving. And when I think about long distance driving, the difference between 215 miles and 238 miles isn't as critical as the difference between Supercharging and CCS charging.

3) I'm fine with the Model 3 only having 215 miles range if it means hitting the $35K target. I'd rather they keep that promise ($35k target) than increase the base battery pack to win a false comparison of long-range capability and have to increase the base cost as a result. I'm confident Tesla won't bite. After all, that's what battery upgrade options are about, which the Bolt doesn't even offer.

All things said, I'm pretty impressed by the Bolt's specs, which are a great step forward for EVs as a whole. I doubt it affects the Model 3, but it should push improvements to the sub-150 miles range EVs (Leaf, i3, etc.).

I get the impression that GM has decided that since they will be 'losing money' on the BOLT, they'd might as well make sure that Tesla Motors will 'lose money' on the Model ☰ too if they try to match or surpass its range. Heh. They don't know whom they are dealing with at all.

I've predicted a base range of 225 to 250 miles for the Tesla Model ☰ for over two years now. I'll stand pat on that assessment.

Was that referencing the upgrade option, or the potential for more range on the base battery?
Please listen carefully at what Elon said at the unveiling:
The range will be at least an EPA rating of 215 miles. I want to emphasize that this is minimum numbers. We hope to exside them.
I interpret this as referring to the base battery option, not that they "hope" to have bigger upgrade options.

Reactions: PaulJB and Red Sage
IMO - not really a great poll.

I believe musk was very clear in that 215 was the minimum and that they were going to try and make it higher on the base model. I would not be surprised to see similar numbers to the bolt, or exceeding it.

@sitter_k good friends reference. Literally what i was thinking when i read that typo :)

Please listen carefully at what Elon said at the unveiling:

I interpret this as referring to the base battery option, not that they "hope" to have bigger upgrade options.

Thanks for doing the work on digging up the quote! :) I was just being a bit lazy. I agree with your interpretation, and can't really see how Elon would mean otherwise.

Here' hoping they do exceed 215 miles, as I plan to get the base battery.

I'd bet that Tesla will at least match the Bolt's range now, with maybe a mix of less range for city driving and more range (based on the drag coefficient difference) for highway driving. The Bolt looks like it's using at least a 65 kWh battery (possibly even more) since there is apparently 60 kWh usable. I'm betting Elon and Tesla change their stance on a "less than 60kwh battery" for the base III as a result.

Bolt 37,500 for single motor-dual motor jumps 10g's. No HUD. No charging infrastructure. Looks like a vw golf to me. Lame.
I'll stick with model 3 no matter what happens. I won't have range anxiety with 230m and SC. As for the bolt-where do you juice up on a 240v in USA? I haven't seen one yet publicly.