Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Short tall or long low Model 3?

Do you prefer Tall or Long Model 3?

• Tall and Short

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Long and Low

Votes: 69 83.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7-0 for long low so far. Phew, I thought for a while that I mas in a minority wishing for this. Strange why the Bolt is so short and tall, it doesn't seem to be what people wish for. Even more of a mystery considering the design hurdles with higher drag, lower crash worthiness, less battery space and so on.

My guess with the Bolt is its packaging was somewhat dictated by the battery size/configuration. I don't think it's as flat as the Model S' pack, so they had to figure out how to give it decent interior room and cargo space, so they went up. The Bolt will have an audience, but I have no doubt the Model 3 will kill it in terms of style and elegance.

A long a sleek M3 would have better aesthetics but the tall and short version would be easier to get into and out of.

Franz needs to make the M3 look long and sleek while actually being short and tall :wink:

It is possible. This is what attracted me to the Sonata initially. It had the look of the Mercedes CLS/Volkswagen CC, but is considerably roomier than both. Parked side-by-side, it's obvious it's larger and taller than both, but parked by itself, it looks low and sleek.

I'm DEFINITELY both feet in the long-and-low camp, although it needn't be to done to the exclusion of practicality. The stated M3 targets - 3 series, C-Class, A4, etc. - are all great examples of how to make practical sexy. Just as the MS does in its size/class.
I also am optimistic that the M3 won't be tall-and-short because the Y will fill that slot. Why would they both have utility vehicle proportions?
I totally agree with this. The Y will be the "tall" model built off the 3 base.

My guess with the Bolt is its packaging was somewhat dictated by the battery size/configuration. I don't think it's as flat as the Model S' pack, so they had to figure out how to give it decent interior room and cargo space, so they went up. The Bolt will have an audience, but I have no doubt the Model 3 will kill it in terms of style and elegance.

The Bolt cells are 100mm (3.9 in) tall vs 65 mm (2.6 in) tall for a 18650, so probably it is a bit more than 1 inch taller than the Model S. So yes, it probably needed to expand upwards for space.

Looking at the poll results, it seems what I expected. Hopefully Tesla follows through.

Low Car = Not made for families.

I expect a "normal" car - not a boxy Bolt, nor a low flung sports car.

BTW, over the years, large selling sedans have got progressively taller to allow for easy ingress/egress, a must for families.

After two extended test drives of BMW i3 I realized that I don't like the following combination: tall, short, and light vehicle. At highway speeds the car felt weird (somewhat 'unstable'), especially in windy weather. I hope Model 3 will feel more solid. On the other hand I probably got spoiled by Model S test drives :rolleyes:

BMW 3-series is the target, so the car might look like a 4-5 door sedan. I think 4-series GT is a good starting point.
This is what I think too. Probably with a shorter hood for even more interior space.

- - - Updated - - -

Low Car = Not made for families.

BTW, over the years, large selling sedans have got progressively taller to allow for easy ingress/egress, a must for families.
Right. And at the same time they have grown wider, even faster than they grew taller. Some modern cars are wide enough where it starts to become a bit difficult on narrow roads, city streets and some garages (Model S no exception IMHO). It will be interesting to see where this development ends up. I guess when a car fills an entire lane would be the hard stop for growth? Begs the question how wide the Model 3 will be. Any ideas?