TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Should I black out my MC Red?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Should I black out/chrome delete my MC Red?

This poll will close on Aug 22, 2017 at 6:48 PM.
  1. Black out/chrome delete everything that's possible.

15.4%
  2. Black out/chrome delete only elements that suit your taste and judgment

53.8%
  3. Leave it alone. The chrome is a design element and you'll spoil the appearance of the car.

30.8%
  4. Powder coat the arachnid wheels in hyper black/gunmetal

15.4%
  5. Leave the wheels in the original silver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've been thinking about blacking out my multicoat red Model S and are interested in members' views. I'm considering several options including blacking out all of the chrome trim with 3m carbon fiber wrap, leaving a number of chrome pieces in place (e.g. the T badges front and rear), or not doing it at all.

I also have a set of arachnid wheels. I dislike black wheels but am considering having them powder coated in hyper black, kind of like a gunmetal or dark silver. This is close to what hyperblack looks like:

[​IMG]

Opinions sought.

2. James*

James* Member

My Model S (first Tesla) is being delivered in September. I'm planning on blacking out all the chrome with plastidip and glossifier. I've seen some examples online that (in my opinion) look really cool.

For example, here is a signature red blacked out:[​IMG]

3. greywithana

greywithana Member

If you could get a chrome delete that matches that hyper black / gunmetal color; I'd think pretty hard about that. Chrome and blacked out aren't the only two options for trim. I saw a blue 100D that did a platinum chrome delete to match the wheels and it looked pretty great.

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You are just bored because you have done every possible project to your car under the sun.
    You need to think up some new stuff or start doing some of those that we did while you were working on your own.
    Dual Blackvues to get 360 protection and my Footwell Cover Holder on TT.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks Steve. You may be right -- I may have reached the point of diminishing returns:)

6. enginerdify

enginerdify New Member

IMG_1365.JPG IMG_6023.jpg I blacked out everything with Plastidip and and did the wheels in anthracite grey with Plastidip.

7. James*

James* Member

Looks very nice. That's my plan, except I'm going black on the wheels too. Did you use any glossifier on the plasti dip?