Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What is a Tesla Model 3?

You get three choices only. What is a Tesla Model 3?

• A luxury car.

• A sporty car.

• A fast car.

• An electric car.

• An eco-friendly car.

• An expensive car.

• A practical car.

• A comfortable car.

• A status car.

• A disappointing car.

• A high-tech car.

• A fun car.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang, I forgot to put "A semi-autonomous car." in there, which kinda defeats the purpose here.

See, I'm trying to get a feel for the general perception of our cars. As in, when people notice your car, they might say: "Hey, you have a Tesla Model 3? You mean that _______ car?" And you proudly say: "Yes, that's the one."

For me it was fast, electric (figured it covered aspects of environmental too) and fun. Fun above all for me. Just really enjoy driving it. I suppose you could say fast could be incorporated under electric but Tesla has done so much to the motor tech that I thought it deserved being a separate selection.

What I didn't see on the list was stylish. I really like the looks of it. I was in a post office parking lot recently and had just gotten into my car and a guy parked next to me indicated he wanted to say something to me so I rolled down my window. He asked me how I liked my car. I forgot what he was driving but he said he was going to be looking for a new car next year and really was considering going EV and really liked the Model 3. Thought it was a sharp looking car. Yeah, me too!

I guess between my phone and laptop and tablet the high-tech response is viewed by me as pretty normal, although for a car Tesla is way above others. Adapting from my ICE vehicle to our Teslas was considerably easy to do. Found it pretty intuitive, just like really young kids knowing how to work an iPad after a little experimentation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
How you could pick Sporty over Fast doesn't make sense. 3.1 second, 4 second and 5.x second 0-60s. The car is faster than just about everything on the road besides exotics and MS.

The Subaru BRZ is "sporty"... amazing handling, but 6+ second car.

How you could pick Sporty over Fast doesn't make sense. 3.1 second, 4 second and 5.x second 0-60s. The car is faster than just about everything on the road besides exotics and MS.

The Subaru BRZ is "sporty"... amazing handling, but 6+ second car.
a miata is sporty. i wouldn't call it fast.

to me sporty = nimble.
fast = quick

but...
quick != fast.... these electric cars are great off the line but their acceleration flattens out around 100mph. it's too bad we don't have that acceleration curve through the entire powerband. then we'd have a FAST car.

i doubt i would have put "an electric car" and "eco-friendly car" in the same poll... of course it's an electric car... do people believe that purchasing an electric car is saving the environment? probably. it's more about the movement than it is about the individual decision.

Quicker, sure. Not faster.

Those aren't the same thing.

For example my Tesla is much quicker than the IS350 I had before (4.0 0-60 instead of 4.9) but the lexus could go faster.

Ditto the RWD V8 Impala SS I had before that.

Some "sport upgrades" in cars are little more than a bit of simulated carbon fiber, a spoiler (which can often be detrimental to performance) and an italicized letter "S" on the back. Ask any performance or 4x4 shop... People pay thousands of dollars for vanity alone.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Quicker, sure. Not faster.

Those aren't the same thing.

For example my Tesla is much quicker than the IS350 I had before (4.0 0-60 instead of 4.9) but the lexus could go faster.

Ditto the RWD V8 Impala SS I had before that.
To me, fast doesn't mean top speed or high speed driving, it means quickness. 0-60 and 1/4 mile, etc.

No one really cares about a car's top speed. You win most measured races at a way slower speed.

To me, fast doesn't mean top speed or high speed driving, it means quickness.

But, I mean, it literally does not mean that.

The Model S P100D is the quickest (non limited) production car in the world 0-60.

It's not remotely close to the fastest (non limited) production car in the world. Like even close to being in the top 100+ (non limited) production cars.

see also-
Drag Racing 101: Quick vs Fast - Drag Import News

No one really cares about a car's top speed.

Clearly you've never been to Germany.

In the US though quick is certainly more relevant to most folks daily drivers at least.

But, I mean, it literally does not mean that.

The Model S P100D is the quickest (non limited) production car in the world 0-60.

It's not remotely close to the fastest (non limited) production car in the world. Like even close to being in the top 100+ (non limited) production cars.

see also-
Drag Racing 101: Quick vs Fast - Drag Import News

Clearly you've never been to Germany.

In the US though quick is certainly more relevant to most folks daily drivers at least.
I’m not driving 150 mph, but I do want quick acceleration. That’s all that matters on the road since all cars can go 70-100 mph on the highway.

I’m not driving 150 mph, but I do want quick acceleration. That’s all that matters on the road since all cars can go 70-100 mph on the highway.

Right- so you care about a car that is quick, rather than one that is fast.

As I say- for most folks, especially in the US, that's how they're going to tend to prefer their cars.

But even then, not all cars can go 100-

The Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, and Kia Soul EV all top out around 92-93 mph.

The Fiat 500e is only 88mph top speed (just enough to engage the flux capacitor)

The Ford Focus electric and the VW eGolf top out at 85.

The SmartFortwo is supposedly 81 mph top speed

Buncha trucks and vans also can't do 100, but you did specify cars so there's at least the above ones...

These Cars and Trucks Can’t Do 100 MPH | Feature | Car and Driver

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
At least 105 responses and NOT ONE chose "disappointing". That's nice to see.

I shouldn't have included "electric" because that's the only one that isn't subjective opinion. "Eco-friendly", "practical", and "fast" (reasons to go electric) would have covered that. (And yes, "quick" would have been more accurate than fast.) Also I should have included "easy maintenance". And I wanted to include something that highlights its semi-autonomous features, but without making the mistake I did with "electric" by not posing it as a factual statement (such as "semi-autonomous car") so something like "easy-to-drive" might have worked to see if its self-driving related features (present and future) are forefront on people's minds when they think about their car.

My own votes were among the least popular: Practical, comfortable, status. I find it practical because it costs me less to own and pay for, month-to-month, than an ICE Corolla. I find it comfortable because my butt LOVES the seats, thermostatically-controlled temperature, heated seats, the silence, and the ability to relax a bit on autopilot. And I chose "status" because it draws a crowd far more than a Lexus or Mercedes would. I will say my car is clearly marked as a student driver vehicle, which surprises people and it's probably 70% of why it draws so much attention.

Last edited: