Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Will online-sale only model succeed?

[Poll] - Will online-sale only model succeed?

• Strongly agree. Online-sale will be hugely successful!

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Agree.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Neutral/ Not sure. Time will tell.

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Disagree.

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Strongly disagree. Online-sale will be a massive fail!

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, are we to take it to the car you bought was a model 3? And, did you know that two product announcements have already happened?

Years of thinking beats hours of thinking anytime. Especially group think. I don't know how long you thought about it, I'm just saying that people who have deeply thought about it have ideas that are different from yours, don't discount them just because they're different than you. They've had some time to think about this.

No, I bought a 2016 model S. As I said, test-driven from the service center showroom where I placed my order. If "years of thinking" leads to OP saying "Omg people are going to have to mail paperwork back and forth to sign and won't be able to pick up their cars" then I'm absolutely going to discount it. Not because it's different, because that's straight up wrong, ignorant, and spreading misinformation/fear that is poisonous to this community.

Reactions: neroden
I'm not so sure about that. Even Southern Middle America States like Texas are doing quite well with online only sales and an anti-Tesla government. What's happening here is the commercial equivalent of jury nullification.
I always wondered how Tesla sales currently work in states where Tesla store are banned. Do people just order the Tesla online and pick up the car in the closest Tesla store in another state? or every single car just get delivered individually to residential address? or Tesla has setup some delivery-only location within the state for pickup only?

We live in Los Angeles and while I was on a project in Boston I purchased my Model 3 Performance online. All financial, loan/sales via the website and even got our appraisal and approval of our trade in via the website.

We shedualed delivery for a few days after I got home to LA.

The Tesla Rep pulled up with the Model 3, parked it in our driveway, signed the documents in about 5 minutes including signing over our trade in. We spent another 20-30 chatting about the car and then the Tesla Rep hoped in our trade in and left.

Kinda crazy and felt like a modern no hassle way of purchasing a car.

So much better than all of my previous car buying experiences with dealerships.

I really hope this works out.

However, it was nice to be able to go to a Tesla store and sit in the car and check it out and talk to a rep...I hope that they keep some of the “gallerys” just to let people enter the cars and push buttons.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and ggnykk
I always wondered how Tesla sales currently work in states where Tesla store are banned. Do people just order the Tesla online and pick up the car in the closest Tesla store in another state? or every single car just get delivered individually to residential address? or Tesla has setup some delivery-only location within the state for pickup only?
They pick up the car from the nearest Service Centre, or if they are far enough away it's delivered to their door. No one picks it up in a neighbouring state.

No, I bought a 2016 model S. As I said, test-driven from the service center showroom where I placed my order. If "years of thinking" leads to OP saying "Omg people are going to have to mail paperwork back and forth to sign and won't be able to pick up their cars" then I'm absolutely going to discount it. Not because it's different, because that's straight up wrong, ignorant, and spreading misinformation/fear that is poisonous to this community.

That I can deal with, and actually kind of agree with. My only problem was with calling them "random people", some of them have put a lot into this community. Some of them, maybe not so positively! But I don't think it would use such a strong word, poison, I think free speech is an important aspect of understanding each other. Sure hyperbole is common, but we expect that in these blogs.

We live in Los Angeles and while I was on a project in Boston I purchased my Model 3 Performance online. All financial, loan/sales via the website and even got our appraisal and approval of our trade in via the website.

We shedualed delivery for a few days after I got home to LA.

The Tesla Rep pulled up with the Model 3, parked it in our driveway, signed the documents in about 5 minutes including signing over our trade in. We spent another 20-30 chatting about the car and then the Tesla Rep hoped in our trade in and left.

Kinda crazy and felt like a modern no hassle way of purchasing a car.

So much better than all of my previous car buying experiences with dealerships.

I really hope this works out.

However, it was nice to be able to go to a Tesla store and sit in the car and check it out and talk to a rep...I hope that they keep some of the “gallerys” just to let people enter the cars and push buttons.
that sound super easy to buy a Tesla

Perhaps most here have Model 3 as their primary choice when they are ready to buy, so online purchase is easy. However, I was set to get a BMW 530e, and was one day away from pulling the trigger when I switch to Model 3 due to my 2nd Model 3 test drive. If it had not been for the test drives and the ability to see the car in person, I would have a 530e sitting in my garage now. And many of my friends take a lot of time to research cars before purchasing them, including seeing and testing cars in person. I just can't see myself, family, and friends ever buying a car without physically testing it first.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I think the 78% that Tesla disclosed didn't explain that some of these sales happened only after the buyer seen the car in person or did a test drive. This figure could be quite misleading.
82% didn't take a test drive. (That's LARGER than the number who ordered online.)

Yes, I think a fair number saw the car in person to check out the seats etc. There's going to be some way to do that.

Reactions: ggnykk
Zero chance my wife would have okayed the X purchase without a test drive. The closing of the stores, the only place I know of to get a test drive unless you know someone, is a major FAIL.
I think Tesla should still maintain the test drive somehow, even with the 7 days 1000 miles return policy. But I think they say if you have taken a test drive, then you won't get any return policy.