Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poll: will you upgrade to FSD package before price increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD package (in model 3 with AP only) before price increase on August 16th?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a hard "no" for me until pretty recently. I don't have a Tesla yet but I'm literally days away from placing an order for a 3.

In the mean time I've changed my mind and started to look at FSD like "it's only $6k now"... this was probably Tesla's plan all along anyway.

No-one has the right answer on this now, not matter how many "facts" they give you. FSD is purely a gamble at this point with some added perks.

I don't have any plans on using NoA but I do like the idea of being able to change lanes without disengaging AP. Also, I see summon as a cool party trick with the occasional use on rainy days (regular summon that is). I have zero faith in enhanced summon actually working at the current level they're at.

So yeah, I'll most likely pay for it, a bit bitter that I'm paying a lot for non-existing features but as I said, it's gamble that may or may not pay off later.

Reactions: nschemmaster
It’s not presently worth $6k. Navigation on Autopilot doesn’t work well for us on moderately busy LA freeways. It’s much easier (and safer) to drive the car from
on ramp to off ramp oneself (exiting the freeway is particularly poor). Autopark is slow and works about 60% of the time. Summon is not useful.

Wait until the features work and are not Beta. Then pay for them at the asking price.

It's $3k for anyone with EAP. Will that go up to $4k? I guess so?

Based off Elon's response on twitter I would suggest it would indeed be $1K price increase for FSD after August 16 from $3k to $4k

Screen Shot.png

Link to tweet: e^ on Twitter

I'm also hesitant to pull the trigger until I can confirm with my insurance company (Geico) that with my current coverage it would cover any software upgrades add-ons to my Model 3. Since AP/FSD is tied to your vehicle, if the vehicle is totaled my insurance would not cover my purchase of FSD.

Has Tesla said somewhere outside of Elon's tweets that AP2 will get upgraded to AP3 if you buy FSD? Anything currently in writing post purchase?

I know most believe this to be true but I just don't believe a word Elon says anymore. I'd feel better about this if it were posted somewhere other than Twitter.

Has Tesla said somewhere outside of Elon's tweets that AP2 will get upgraded to AP3 if you buy FSD? Anything currently in writing post purchase?

I know most believe this to be true but I just don't believe a word Elon says anymore. I'd feel better about this if it were posted somewhere other than Twitter.

You can't even trust Tesla's official Twitter account, let alone Elon Musk's. Example: Before the end of Q2 they said every new S/X sold would have free supercharging. But then no, they meant every inventory S/X from before the Raven update. They didn't even correct it on their twitter, where it very unambiguously says free supercharging for every S/X.

I'm also hesitant to pull the trigger until I can confirm with my insurance company (Geico) that with my current coverage it would cover any software upgrades add-ons to my Model 3. Since AP/FSD is tied to your vehicle, if the vehicle is totaled my insurance would not cover my purchase of FSD.

So I reached out to my insurance company (Geico) yesterday in regards to see if they have any available coverage for software upgrades.
This was their response.

Screen Shot.png

I replied asking if there any options I can add this as a customization to my current policy?

Screen Shot 1.png

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
So I reached out to my insurance company (Geico) yesterday in regards to see if they have any available coverage for software upgrades.
This was their response.

View attachment 436185

I replied asking if there any options I can add this as a customization to my current policy?

View attachment 436186

USAA wouldn't say whether or not they would cover it; basically said they'd make a determination in the event of a loss. And it's even more ridiculous for an SR+. We paid $37,500 for the car, and come mid-August AP+FSD will be $10,000 for us. Just the software would increase the value of our car by 26%!

Probably going to wait till the 15th to decide. Maybe some last minute incentives will be added to increase purchases. But my plan is to take the money back on the tax refund and apply it to this purchase. So in my mind it’s a little over $2k purchase. I’ll just put it on a 0% interest card until tax season then pay it off.

At best I get some awesome future updates that may or may not reach full autonomy. At worst I pay a little over $2k for some fancy software updates.

Didn’t read full poll question before I voted yes. I’m an EAP car, so the upgrade was cheaper then the FSD for regular AP cars.

Sorry for throwing the poll off a bit.

As a side note, since I’m an EAP car, I’m on hardware 2.5. I’m mostly buying the half price upgrade so that my car has the hardware 3 computer like any of the newer cars do. If FSD happens in the next 2 years, it will increase my resale value slightly (and theoretically)

At worst, you get nothing, exactly the same way people have been getting nothing for their FSD money for the past 3 years.

+1 and Tesla knows this.

Why do you guys think they moved all the 'small' extra perks to FSD and got rid of EAP? I mean things like summon and autopark. They figured out people would catch on that they're basically paying for something which doesn't exist so they just shuffled some packages to make it look appealing and still get people to pay for nothing.

Didn’t read full poll question before I voted yes. I’m an EAP car, so the upgrade was cheaper then the FSD for regular AP cars.

Sorry for throwing the poll off a bit.

As a side note, since I’m an EAP car, I’m on hardware 2.5. I’m mostly buying the half price upgrade so that my car has the hardware 3 computer like any of the newer cars do. If FSD happens in the next 2 years, it will increase my resale value slightly (and theoretically)

Only additional value if/when HW3 does something extra for EAP. (Adding more computing power to something that does not use/need it is a waste.)