Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Would you leave "walk up unlock" ON if you could disable *ONLY* at home?

Would you leave "walk up unlock" ON if you could disable *ONLY* at home?

• I like it exactly the way it is

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wish I could disable at home. Without option I have/will disable walk up unlock

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • I wish I could disable at home. Without option I have/will still enable walk up unlock

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most people want to leave the walk up unlock function on, but the close proximity of us to our cars at home (unless we live at Wayne manor) means it will unnecessarily unlock too frequently. If Telsa would simply give an added feature underneath the "walk up unlock" feature to "disable when HOME WI-FI detected", I think we'd have a winner.

Thoughts?

I think that it's a bug they need to fix in general. Having an exception for the home is a clunky workaround, because I can think of plenty of other situations where it would cause a problem (parked out in front of a store for instance). Note that this is from the perspective of it working correctly for me, the phone may connect as a key from 40 or 50 feet away, but it never unlocks the car until it detects that I am within a few feet of the car (basically inside the garage).

Reactions: gregd
I think that it's a bug they need to fix in general. Having an exception for the home is a clunky workaround, because I can think of plenty of other situations where it would cause a problem (parked out in front of a store for instance). Note that this is from the perspective of it working correctly for me, the phone may connect as a key from 40 or 50 feet away, but it never unlocks the car until it detects that I am within a few feet of the car (basically inside the garage).
It seems to me that disabling at home fixes 99% of issue. Most stores I go into would not cause problems. If you think it's a bug, what is your expected behavior?

It seems to me that disabling at home fixes 99% of issue. Most stores I go into would not cause problems. If you think it's a bug, what is your expected behavior?

It should work exactly the same as the S. Basically when you are right next to the car it unlocks. You can unlock it from a further distance by pressing the unlock button. And in fact that it is exactly how it does work for many people including me, just not everybody.

Reactions: kodek and Icer
Even at 5 feet (if that's Tesla's goal) it still unlocks walking by it in the garage. That would not happen with the proposed change.

Sure, but that doesn't change my answer. I have had to turn of walk up unlock on my Model S several times over the last 5 years for that very reason, but none of the times was at home (camping is the most common time, I hate the car locking and unlocking as I walk around the campsite). At home I usually don't have my fob or my cellphone when I'm out in the garage unless I'm doing something in the car.

I've turned it off because it kept locking and unlocking. I was hesitant about doing this before because I thought that the only way of unlocking the door was through the app. I've recently found out that I could turn off walkup unlock and unlock the door just by opening the handle. This is very convenient and very similar to how it works on my X1.

Not got my S yet, but as mine will be parked very close to my house, I will just drop my key into a 'Farady Cage' bag when I don't need it. This is also for increased security against 'relay' theft.

The option of 'Disable at Home' does sound ideal though.

What exactly is the difference if walk up unlock is disabled on a 3?

And no, I’m generally no it favor of special locking at home. My car will still detect the WiFi if it’s in the drive. And the gos isn’t walkways that accurate.

If you disable walk up unlock, then you can unlock it by 1) pulling the door handle, 2) using the app, 3) using the keycard. I like option 1 since it's convenient and the car doesn't keep locking and unlocking when I walk by (if I have walkup unlock enabled).