TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poor AM Radio Reception

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Vistan, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Vistan

Vistan Member

What is the best way to improve AM radio reception in our late-2015 Model S? All I want to do is listen to local (San Diego area, and maybe a couple in LA) radio stations. I've tried the internet radio but get fading and loss of reception as the car turns during a normal trip. I'm starting to think that there is NO way to improve AM reception, but thought I'd reach out for confirmation or help. By the way, FM radio reception ain't all that grand either. Do I have an antenna problem?

Vistan

2. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

Every EV I've ever driven has terrible AM reception problems. Something about electric drivetrains just doesn't mesh well with AM stations. If you really want to listen, I suggest a streaming app on your phone or TuneIn.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

TuneIn should have all of your local and L.A. AM and FM stations and it's clear as a bell. AM/FM sucks on all Tesla's that I know about.

4. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

Same here. I've resorted to SiriusXM app to get the Dodgers as am570 has a horrible whistle.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Have you tried to see if TuneIn has 570?

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Nice to hear I am not alone. From here in Utah I get much better reception of a station in Germany via internet than I do of some local AM stations.

Interesting that you mention 570. There is a local station at that frequency and in many places when I tune in I hear a high pitched whine that is louder than the station.

7. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Model X solves AM reception issues by removing it altogether :)

• Funny x 1
  8. msnow

msnow Active Member

Here in LA it the Dodgers with legendary Vin Skully (last season).

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My radio reception just plain stinks. I've had it checked and am not sure what to do about it. It is awful.