Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Audiobook Support, Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since many people commute in their car and go on long trips, I'm surprised that there isn't better support for listening to audiobooks.

Yes, I know I can use an app on my phone or listen to an audio file on a USB drive, but I would like to be able to

1. Choose an audiobook from the car's screen
2. Scrub the audio
3. Have current locations saved for different books

Why do you think Tesla hasn't given that a higher priority?

Since many people commute in their car and go on long trips, I'm surprised that there isn't better support for listening to audiobooks.

Yes, I know I can use an app on my phone or listen to an audio file on a USB drive, but I would like to be able to

1. Choose an audiobook from the car's screen
2. Scrub the audio
3. Have current locations saved for different books

Why do you think Tesla hasn't given that a higher priority?
Because Tesla doesn't actually care about anything that their customers might want. They've got your money and they don't care what you might want. This will ultimately prove unfortunate for the company but I suspect will take some time, and especially some competition.

They'd rather wax poetic about "full self driving" (which isn't), or find new ways to make the car make fart noises.

I hear ya!

At its simplest, just having it pick up where it left off whenever you select the USB input would suffice for me. That won't work for everyone, of course, but it would work in much the same way switching inputs has traditionally on a car radio (MP3 continues where you left off, for example). Instead if you select USB after having used another input, you're left staring at your directory structure and having to navigate back to your book, chapter, and place in the chapter.

I'm curious what Elon listens to when he drives (yeah, yeah, don't say Grimes). He has put audio quality as one of Tesla's very top priorities from day 1, building an excellent in-house audio system and including it as the standard option in every S3XY. Then there's Tesla's built-in streaming service and built-in native Spotify, TuneIn, etc. And last month we all got (another!) free audio tuning upgrade. No other automaker even comes close.

So yeah, they obviously value audio at Tesla. But what kind of audio?

The USB interface is decrepit, pathetic, and somehow gets even worse with updates.
The streaming system can't seem to stream reliably anymore.
Spotify and TuneIn were good starts but where are all the other services?
The Next/Previous controls can't be reprogrammed to FF/RW for use with podcasts or audiobooks.
There is no native audiobook player.
Lowering the music volume when entering/exiting the car is cute, but it's not so cute to have my podcast keep mumbling as I unload stuff from the back seat.

Even the silly audio functions like "Rainbow Road" and "Boombox" are so fatally flawed that it's hard to imagine how an intern managed to get just high enough to write that code without going so far that they ended up in the hospital.

But the hell with Elon. What do Tesla employees listen to in their own cars? You'd think they'd let their manager know that the audio interface intern suuuucks.
But that kid who writes new games every summer seems pretty sharp. Why don't they have her spend a week fixing the whole audio interface?

Last edited:
Too busy taking FSD out of beta, handling NTHSA investigations, building cars during a supply and chip shortage, manufacturing new battery cells, building whole factories.
Or Elon is just having too much fun Scrooge McDuck swimming in all his cash.

all utter bullshit. They should just spare 1 guy whos doing the new GUI and a useable audio interface. its not that hard......... plenty people on youtube already making insanely nice designs. just pay them 50k USD for a 6 month job and get it done. thats peanuts to tesla.
they need to get their priorites right. and stop letting the intern design the gui and audio interface.