Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable charger intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every now and again when I plug in the charger it doesn’t work. No lights nothing.
I assume it has some sort of relay as when it does work, which is most of the time still, I can hear a click then the Tesla insignia lights up green.
My worry is that this issue my worsen over time leaving me without the ability to charge at all.
Has anyone experienced this?
Is the charger covered by warranty?
I have a 2019 SR+

You need to be a little more specific. Which lights don't come on, the light at the car or the light at the body of the UMC? IIRC, the UMC has a 'tesla' that should at least show some sign of life even when its not connected to the car. If that's not lighting up at all, check whether the adapter is fully inserted into the UMC. The plug should be flush with the body of the UMC, and they can sometimes work loose due to heating and cooling, especially if the UMC is hanging by the adapter(which you shouldn't make a habit of. Buy a cheap holster for it if you will be charging regularly at the same outlet)

Lights on the adapter not lighting up.
I have close to 50k on my M3 and only ever use the portable charger. When not in use it is in the car. I use the 14/50 adapter at home and the 110V adapter when plugged in at work.
If I’m not driving it is always plugged in.
When the lights don’t light up I unplug, reinsert, check connections.
Check for power at the outlet.

Lights on the adapter not lighting up.
I have close to 50k on my M3 and only ever use the portable charger. When not in use it is in the car. I use the 14/50 adapter at home and the 110V adapter when plugged in at work.
If I’m not driving it is always plugged in.
When the lights don’t light up I unplug, reinsert, check connections.
Check for power at the outlet.
Is it always the same adapter that has problems?

I think the UMC is covered either by the car's warranty or the four year charger warranty. Most likely the former.

Reactions: RayCanuck
If I were unplugging it multiple times per week, I'd invest in a either a wall connector or a second mobile connector to leave at home. Both so I wouldn't have to unplug the one at home all the time, and as a backup in the event that one of the mobile connectors did fail. I'm fairly confident that between unplugging it from the wall, and changing that adapter so often, it's only a matter of time before it fails anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrolsbe