Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Badge for Model 3 Original Owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An idea I've been mulling over and decided to see if there was any interest is some sort of badge or license plate frame (or both) for the cars for original orders. This could be something fairly subtle, such as a ".1" to go after the 3 in Model 3 or a unobtrusive "Model 3.1 Club" to go under the Model 3 badge or on the bottom of a license plate frame.

The "3.1" would indicate:
-ordering on the 1st day of availability
-being part of the March "31" order club
-being one of the earliest adopters of the Model 3

There would be no real way to "police" this, just as people are welcome to put 5.0 emblems on their V6 Mustangs. :rolleyes:

Doing some looking it seems that pricing could be very low with a bulk order for a good quality item that would also be easy to remove down the line if wanted for resale, your own nostalgia, etc.

I'm going to post this thread to just get some general feedback or see if maybe anyone has a better idea for the badge. I realize this won't be for everyone, so if you're not interested you don't need to publicly inform the world or flame me just move on. However, I think there is a lot of enthusiasm for the car and belief in company (I certainly experienced it waiting in line March 31st!) and people might like having something subtle to indicate that on the car, especially to other owners.

Of course, this is all assuming Tesla doesn't do something similar from the factory! :eek: And don't worry Roadster owners, we all know you're the original "plankowners"! ;)

Constructive thoughts?

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges...

Let's keep is simple and sleek to go with the flat Tesla logo in the front. I want the performance model to stand out in some way but don't want to over-badge it. I'd love to see the outside as spartan as the inside, but that's just my personal preference.

Well, Plan B was full graphics down the sides of the car ala "The Fast and Furious" of Elon flying along in an Iron Man suit!!!
I'm guessing you wouldn't go for that, either? ;)

I'd be interested in having the original 3 logo (Tesla E) on my car.

Might look into creating that actually now that I'm visualizing it.

That might be an interesting option, too. Since a lot of us who ordered last year probably thought (or at least I did) that was what the "3" in Model 3 would look like. Reebok can hardly sue a bunch of Tesla owners for making their own on a group buy! ;)

How does Tesla usually attach their emblems to the cars? Posts or just strong adhesive tape?

Reactions: 3Victoria
What about existing owners that have reserved a Model 3???

Aren't we supposed to get our's delivered prior to non-owners, after employees, even though I placed my reservation at the end of March ?

I am thinking about access to the coveted Signature Red paint color. or perhaps a HUD upgrade for 1/2 price...

After all, Tesla is all about serving those of us "entitled"...just like Elon himself... sleeping on a cot at the end of the MX assembly line... NOT!!!

By the way, I am just kidding... I hope some of you are as well... as your reward is getting the first EV built for longevity and long range... for a reasonable price.

Fine except several months/years down the line word spreads of poor fit and finish in early models etc. and M 3.0 will become the badge to avoid for used car buyers. Bet you won't be that keen on your badge as you are now, should that happen.

Let's keep it simple and understated folks - that is Tesla DNA.

I like the mystique that Tesla has amongst the general public. If I come up on some kid in a Civic, or some "Roll Coal" bro in his giant pickup, neither one of them is going to understand at a stoplight, that when it turns green, what is going to happen to them when my P80D takes off on them. But we all know what an underlined "P and D" badge means......

Cannot disagree with your logic.

I am sure there are still Signature X owners pretty sore about the issue they had to deal with. Just the fact that I drove some Sig Models as Service Loaners pretty much tells that tale.

Fine except several months/years down the line word spreads of poor fit and finish in early models etc. and M 3.0 will become the badge to avoid for used car buyers. Bet you won't be that keen on your badge as you are now, should that happen.

Let's keep it simple and understated folks - that is Tesla DNA.

Reactions: Jayc
Cannot disagree with your logic.

I can, when an aftermarket badge can be removed in 5 minutes with a blow dryer and a piece of dental floss! :p

What are you going to do, try to lie about or obscure the build date? Find someone gullible enough not to check/ask?

If you're that worried about it leasing might be a better option..... :rolleyes:

In about 3 years there could be close to a million Model 3s on the road. Most driven by people who would never preorder or frequent a forum like this. I just thought maybe some who were willing to slap a thousand bucks down and wait two years, especially after standing in lines that went for blocks, might like to show some of that enthusiasm. As I said in the initial post, if you're not interested just move on. :cool:

• Disagree
Reactions: Jayc and Topher
I'd be interested in how this discussion/idea evolves (I was a line-waiter on 3/31). Though keep in mind that Elon did initially promise to give a special gift to line-waiters. It could be something visual on the car (a badge, a special exterior color, special crest stitiched in the seat or dashboard) only available to that group. Or he could have meant that it was the design sketch that was already mailed.

Vanity-plate mentality combined with more advertising. Just what we need more of on the roads.

I tend to agree. I've posted it in the vanity plate thread....the plates are cute, but they don't get you anything.

I'll stick with my "low number" Veteran plate. If I'm pulled over for any reason, odds are that the officer is a Veteran, so him or her and I would have that in common, whereas a "F-OIL" vanity plate might come off as elitist and/or douchey.

Reactions: dsvick
What is the deal with a badge for "3/31 line-waiters"? Won't you just be happy to actually have your Model 3?

Your real concern should be whether or not the $7500 Tax credit will still be available...

Unless you were a Tesla Owner prior to initial reservations, many vehicles will already be delivered to Tesla employees and prior owners, that 200K vehicle number may be very close to whatever the next stage of the tax credit will be.

That tax credit is way more valuable than a badge.

Depending on how the final badging is on the model 3, if it's anything like the badging for the model S, it might be interesting to replace the "3" on the trunk with the stylized "≡" or possibly an E in the font from the original model E logo. That might be confusing though if Ford actually releases a model E in 2019...