Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible bug? Clarification on Sentry & DashCam saved files - 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
It's my understanding that TeslaCam files are saved only when you tap the button on-screen, saving the last 10 minutes of video to the SavedClips directory.

It's also my understanding that Sentry Mode files are saved to the same directory whenever the system is triggered.

As of 12.1.2, I'm seeing dashcam files (taken while driving) in SavedClips that I never clicked save for. It's only some drives, not all. I typically don't touch the cam icon unless something of interest happens or for testing, but generally make note that it's always active with the red dot. I'm not sure if this was happening in previous software versions.

It's possible that the drives being automatically saved are those that occurred immediately before I activated Sentry Mode in the parking lot, but I haven't tested that hypothesis.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I've seen videos from Sentry mode that when it triggers soon after parking, part of the previous ten minutes that it saves includes driving footage. In these cases, the ten minutes also include me parking, walking away, and then whatever the trigger was for Sentry Mode (sometimes it's me coming back to the car because I forgot something)

Reactions: woodisgood
My 3 just got 12.1.2 a few days ago, and now I am noticing some battery drain with the car parked. It lost 3 miles just sitting in the parking lot at work all day, and within 2 hours after I got home tonight it was down 11 miles. And Sentry Mode was not enabled.

I've seen videos from Sentry mode that when it triggers soon after parking, part of the previous ten minutes that it saves includes driving footage. In these cases, the ten minutes also include me parking, walking away, and then whatever the trigger was for Sentry Mode (sometimes it's me coming back to the car because I forgot something)

Ah that makes sense, probably what I'm seeing. Though when Sentry triggers (let's say after car has been sitting for an hour undisturbed), it doesn't save the previous 10 minutes before the trigger, or does it?