Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible cause for lack of bass in newer 3’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight while cleaning out the car, I noticed something very strange. The lack of bass that I’ve been experiencing with my 4/19 build 3 seemed to disappear with the rear seats folded down. I also opened the trunk after discovering this, and noted that the deeper bass notes are audible when sitting next to the subwoofer, but close everything up and they are muffled and almost non-existent when sitting in the car.

While in the trunk, I happened to look up and noticed the mesh grille on the rear deck is completely covered from the under side. On older 3’s I’ve noticed this mesh to be open between the trunk and passenger compartment, but mine has some sort of stiff material molded into the rear deck liner that blocks this passage completely (see attached image).

3C63501A-E627-446C-A319-A82E203FF492.jpeg

Anyone else noticed a lack of bass, and found this to be covered up? I’m wondering when this change was made, and if obtaining an older rear deck cover would correct the issue.

I’ve seen this mentioned before but this is the first photo I’ve seen showing the covered “vent” hole. Curious why Tesla changed this recently. What does the top of the rear deck look like? Does it still have the metal grille on the top and it’s just covered on the underside?

Tesla would have undoubtedly made that change to dampen road noise. There were people already putting batting underneath themselves. Because the bottom of the trunk is a relatively thin metal sheet, the trunk sounds almost open to the road. If you remove the false bottom you can hear individual stones scattering on the pavement behind your vehicle. :)

Reactions: solodogg
I’ve seen this mentioned before but this is the first photo I’ve seen showing the covered “vent” hole. Curious why Tesla changed this recently. What does the top of the rear deck look like? Does it still have the metal grille on the top and it’s just covered on the underside?

Yep, top of the rear deck is identical, mesh and all. Only change was to the underlay material apparently.

I had the uncovered part in my early build car replaced with the new one with the mesh as shown above.

Bass levels are identical (or extremely similar) between the two; road noise is reduced a bit.

This is interesting for sure. I suspected that changing to the newer rear deck was for road noise purposes as well, but weird that it made no difference in the bass output.

There is no path for the sound from the trunk to enter the passenger compartment with this hold completely covered, so one would think it would muffle the sound a bit. I know bass waves will usually find a path, but strange that you noticed no difference.