Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Performance Model 3 sighting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no physical reason why this shouldn't be possible. Also, if it's not in the 2s then I'm not calling it Ludicrous. Insane yes, Ludicrous no...

You don't always need a physical reason, sometimes a chemical reason is good enough ;-)

No seriously, I think the battery will limit the output power and if it doesn't, I see no reason why being better than the competition would not be enough. Especially since going to 2 seconds would increase the price a lot, since they would have to modify all sorts of parts for the extra power, while a 3.6s Model 3 PD could be kept relatively stock, compared to the regular D.

You don't always need a physical reason, sometimes a chemical reason is good enough ;-)

No seriously, I think the battery will limit the output power and if it doesn't, I see no reason why being better than the competition would not be enough. Especially since going to 2 seconds would increase the price a lot, since they would have to modify all sorts of parts for the extra power, while a 3.6s Model 3 PD could be kept relatively stock, compared to the regular D.
The same could be said about the Model S. Why stop at "good enough"?

If I'm going to be paying a premium for the performance version then yes, I'd like it to have more than just a beefier rear motor.

Let us recall that the Model S is not traction limited anymore, nor is it motor-limited, it is limited by the maximum discharge current of the battery. It takes a big battery to do what Ludicrous does. It is not clear that they can put a large enough battery in a Model 3 to do sub 3-second times. Maybe eventually, but probably not with the current crop of cells.

That said, I find this very compelling evidence that this was a P version in testing, and that is great to see. Let us remember that many people will want the AWD version just for winter traction, never mind the awesome performance.

Let us recall that the Model S is not traction limited anymore, nor is it motor-limited, it is limited by the maximum discharge current of the battery. It takes a big battery to do what Ludicrous does. It is not clear that they can put a large enough battery in a Model 3 to do sub 3-second times. Maybe eventually, but probably not with the current crop of cells.

That said, I find this very compelling evidence that this was a P version in testing, and that is great to see. Let us remember that many people will want the AWD version just for winter traction, never mind the awesome performance.
The Model S P85D is similar to the Model 3 LR in battery size, but a heavier car with poorer drag coefficient.

Hence I see no reason why the 3 can’t be quicker

Reactions: Pkmmte and bhzmark