Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved in-store, non-owner, 10:30am ET on 3/31.

common_reservation_id" value="372xxx"

one important thing to note: If this indeed a global number, ie a count of all Tesla reservations over time, a mix of Roadster, S, X, and 3....you're going to have a hard time nailing down your spot in line for Model 3.

Unless they've compartmentalized their numbering convention (it appears they haven't), new Model S and X reservations are going to be mixed in with these numbers.

So the 1st Model 3 reservation may have started at "369xxx" (just an example), but there are almost certainly reservation numbers for other vehicles sprinkled in.

Is it possible that 2 reservation holders have a larger number because it takes credit card companies longer to process $2000 vs $1000? I know there is probably a threshold where the charge goes through more scrutiny. That might explain the higher numbers and it might take a day for the charge to clear if it goes over that threshold.

Reserved in-store, non-owner, 10:30am ET on 3/31.

common_reservation_id" value="372xxx"

one important thing to note: If this indeed a global number, ie a count of all Tesla reservations over time, a mix of Roadster, S, X, and 3....you're going to have a hard time nailing down your spot in line for Model 3.

Unless they've compartmentalized their numbering convention (it appears they haven't), new Model S and X reservations are going to be mixed in with these numbers.

So the 1st Model 3 reservation may have started at "369xxx" (just an example), but there are almost certainly reservation numbers for other vehicles sprinkled in.

we'd just need to ask someone who has reserved a Model S between the m3 reveal and today. We also have a pretty good idea of incoming order rate for S+X so can subtract that

Is it possible that 2 reservation holders have a larger number because it takes credit card companies longer to process $2000 vs $1000? I know there is probably a threshold where the charge goes through more scrutiny. That might explain the higher numbers and it might take a day for the charge to clear if it goes over that threshold.

I believe it is simply a different queue smack in the middle of the order numbers. We will need a lot of data from double reservation holders to figure out where it starts and ends.

You need to add a flag for double reservation holders.. it looks like they have a separate queue in the 49xxxx - 5xxxxx range.

I don't think it is an extra queue. I think what happened is the larger deposit amount took longer for the credit card companies to clear the funds than the $1k deposits. If they took a day to process that would explain the numbers. It would put them in the 100k-200k place in line with the people reserving 1 car. This doesn't mean that Tesla doesn't have a time stamp or something it just means that the computer put them in place AFTER the credit card payment had cleared.

I believe it is simply a different queue smack in the middle of the order numbers. We will need a lot of data from double reservation holders to figure out where it starts and ends.

After looking at some of the logs it appears that there are people who made 2 reservations that have somewhat normal numbers. So I don't believe Tesla purposely made 2 queues. I think it has to do with when Tesla actually got the money.

EDIT:
I am also sure that some people's spending habits on their credit cards probably have to do with when the number got allocated. For example say you never spend more than a few hundred dollars on your card then go give Tesla 2k it might take longer for your credit card company to realize it is a valid charge. I have a card I use for business travel and that is what I used for my reservation. I use it so much I pretty much have no issues charging anything on it. Now if I used my other credit card they probably would have called me to make sure the charge was valid.

I don't think it is an extra queue. I think what happened is the larger deposit amount took longer for the credit card companies to clear the funds than the $1k deposits. If they took a day to process that would explain the numbers. It would put them in the 100k-200k place in line with the people reserving 1 car. This doesn't mean that Tesla doesn't have a time stamp or something it just means that the computer put them in place AFTER the credit card payment had cleared.

The reservation numbers are based on order time, not credit card processing. Most credit card charges are "pending" for quite some time, as long as they weren't rejected, you got a spot in line. I'm not sure you understand how credit cards work.

The reservation numbers are based on order time, not credit card processing. Most credit card charges are "pending" for quite some time, as long as they weren't rejected, you got a spot in line. I'm not sure you understand how credit cards work.

How do we know the reservation numbers are based on order time? We are all just guessing here. Of course it looks like it is based on when people were in line but what's to say that there isn't some weird reason some people were delayed for some reason or the other? A delay of 1 day would explain the high order numbers. My guess was on credit cards but it could be wrong. It could be some other hiccup in the order processing.

How do we know the reservation numbers are based on order time? We are all just guessing here. Of course it looks like it is based on when people were in line but what's to say that there isn't some weird reason some people were delayed for some reason or the other? A delay of 1 day would explain the high order numbers. My guess was on credit cards but it could be wrong. It could be some other hiccup in the order processing.

I'm guessing because of the arbitrary 350xxx employee starting numbers and 36xxxx public starting numbers that there are other arbitrary queues/numbers for Tesla's tracking. They wanted to count the doubles so maybe they setup another queue. I guess I would be surprised that it was a delay in credit card processing for doubles charging $2000 when we don't see a bunch of single orders with similar issues trying to charge $1000 for the first time on their cards. I know a ton of people that got fraud alerts trying to do the $1000 and had to call their credit card companies or use their phone to clear it immediately before allowing the charge at all. Not just a delay in processing. I'm thinking there is more to it than credit card stuff.