Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hardly. If this is real, it is so valuable I expect it will be nerfed.

I'm not sure I'd use the word 'Valuable'. Every reservation holder should know by now that Model 3's won't be delivered in reservation sequence. Not even close. Employees, Highly Optioned, Geography. It might be a distant 4th, and even then it is questionable as Tesla disclaimed sequencing as being "at their discretion". Base Model? Once the "Highly Optioned" are burned through. History is proof of that.

There may be an issue with the idea of that reservation detail.. I made a Model S in the Design Studio about 6 months before the Model 3 launch and I already have a common_reservation_id for that car even tho I never paid for the vehicle or anything other than "saved" it to MyTesla. That common_reservation number is 312XXX.

With 373k reservations in the middle of May the combined total of S,X, and 3 reservations theory doesn't add up with numbers in the 758,000's.
As of end of March, Tesla had delivered 122K cars globally since inception, and probably around 25K since then, so about 147K. I'm not sure how many cancellations they've had, but let's say it's around 10%, so that would bring the number to 163K (147/0.90). So that would mean there were 200K in pre-orders for Model S/X at the time of the Model 3 reveal. This does seem high. I don't really have any reference, but I couldn't imagine a backlog larger than ~50K for Model S/X right now. Anyone else have any ideas why the Model 3 reservation ID seems to have started at around 363K in Melbourne, Australia, and not something closer to 200K?

I'm not sure I'd use the word 'Valuable'. Every reservation holder should know by now that Model 3's won't be delivered in reservation sequence. Not even close. Employees, Highly Optioned, Geography. It might be a distant 4th, and even then it is questionable as Tesla disclaimed sequencing as being "at their discretion". Base Model? Once the "Highly Optioned" are burned through. History is proof of that.

The value comes in the deltas. We could know how many reservations there are (S+X+3) at any given time. By taking the difference between any 2 dates we can see the rate that reservations are coming in, a valuable metric for investing.

I made a chart from the reservation google page:

reservation_chart_june7.JPG

Or, if we assume that the first datapoint at 355k was the starting point, the chart becomes a defacto proxy for model 3 reservations:
reservation_chart_june7_2.JPG

Attachments

• reservation_chart_june7.JPG
    reservation_chart_june7.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I'm not sure how much info can be gleaned from this number, but my reservation sequence for my original Model S was in the 12 thousands, and my common_reservation_id was in the 22 thousands. My model 3 reservation_id is in the 400 thousands. Given one of the posts above it looks like a global count that increments even when somebody just configures and saves a Tesla of any type to mytesla. I'm not sure how useful it is.

The value comes in the deltas. We could know how many reservations there are (S+X+3) at any given time. By taking the difference between any 2 dates we can see the rate that reservations are coming in, a valuable metric for investing.

I made a chart from the reservation google page:

View attachment 179829

Except as somebody points out above even a saved S or X configuration without paying any money gets a reservation_id. I could create 20 right now. I did in fact just create a saved Model S config for fun and got a reservation_id of 778734.