Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Logical explanation for the outliers:

The outliers might be explained by people that cancelled their reservation, thus making the ID available again. After a cancellation the system probably assigns the cancelled ID to the next new reservation.

So this is freaking me out a little...

I camped out, was the very first reservation at the Denver store in the Mountain Time Zone and have two really high numbers! :(

3/31 @ 9:55am (I was let in early to take a picture as the first person)
#496xxx
#496xxx

Others who placed multiple orders reported their numbers are higher up, around 49XXXX, like yours.

Reactions: zenmaster
Logical explanation for the outliers:

The outliers might be explained by people that cancelled their reservation, thus making the ID available again. After a cancellation the system probably assigns the cancelled ID to the next new reservation.
Highly unlikely. There's an infinite number of numbers...so there's no need to mess up the data and attempt to re-use unique IDs. Few sane programmers would go through the trouble of doing this.

Most likely, the outliers are due to mistakes in recollection or data entry errors.

First US orders: (Where am I off)
East Coast: 370XXX
Central: 375XXX
Mountain: 381XXX
West Coast: 384XXX
Online: 409xxx ? maybe 420XXX

With this being said, is it fair to guess there were at most 50,000 instore US orders less rest of world orders.

I am a 376XXX Central
Figuring my place in line = 420 (last instore order) - 381 (first Mountain) = 39,000 + 1,000 (Central in front of me) = 40,000 (Less Rest of World 40% and late East Coast) = 24,000 + Existing + Employee

I have two friends I was in line with that were the third and fourth people in Mountain: #379xxx for both.

As an aside, I was first in line in Mountain and have two at #496xxx...?!?

Of the 191 responses for Instore between 10am EST and 10:30pm EST on 3/31 (Hours to order before Online opened)

East Coast - 70 (37%)
Central - 23 (12%)
Mountain - 12 (6%)
West Coast - 48 (25%)
Rest Of World - 38 (20%)

Total Orders Based on 50,000 orders during that time
East Coast - 18,325
Central - 6,021
Mountain - 3,141
West Coast - 12,565 (Seems low)
Rest Of World - 9,948

*Based on Time Zones

Prior owner here. Reserved the 3 at around 10:12 to 10:15 AM Eastern time on 3/31. ReservationID is 371xxx.

Prior ownership doesn't appear to be a factor in these numbers, just sequence numbers. Position in the "configure your Model 3" queue or the delivery date queue will be based on numerous other factors, though. But this is a fun thing to look at just to get an idea of where we stand compared to each other in the "here's my $1,000" line-up.

You guys are seeking causes and effects where they may be none. Like reading tea leaves. You're looking for some pattern - any pattern- to tease apart a Mystery that only time and Tesla can solve.
Robin
The strong correlation - the "pattern" has already been established beyond doubt. Have you not read this thread? What people do with it is another story.

Anyway you can get a general idea of reservations made over time using this data. No tea leaves - this is a useful thing.

You can get a very rough idea of likely order position that will ultimately be highly dependent on Tesla's internal production strategy. Some of this strategy has been announced in the form of customer region and prior-owner status prioritization. Production scheduling and delivery times may then be dependent on vehicle configuration.

The value comes in the deltas. We could know how many reservations there are (S+X+3) at any given time. By taking the difference between any 2 dates we can see the rate that reservations are coming in, a valuable metric for investing.

I made a chart from the reservation google page:

View attachment 179833

Or, if we assume that the first datapoint at 355k was the starting point, the chart becomes a defacto proxy for model 3 reservations:
View attachment 179832

To show how useful this is, consider that the trend has gone very linear, so if you look at the points past 4/15 you can see that there are 1535 reservations per day: consider the "German tank problem" solved.

reservation_chart_june7_3.JPG

I wonder if the reason the folks with two reservations have a drastically higher number is when Tesla went through and scrubbed the DB and removed all the reservations that had way more than two reservations, like Anton who went and ordered 20 of them. Then when the legitimate two-pack reservations were allowed to stay, they had new numbers...?

When does the 496xxx timeframe fit? I am not sure when Anton actually placed his reservations, but his article came out on 4/29.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969630-put-20-refundable-deposits-tesla-model-3

I wonder if the reason the folks with two reservations have a drastically higher number is when Tesla went through and scrubbed the DB and removed all the reservations that had way more than two reservations, like Anton who went and ordered 20 of them. Then when the legitimate two-pack reservations were allowed to stay, they had new numbers...?

When does the 496xxx timeframe fit? I am not sure when Anton actually placed his reservations, but his article came out on 4/29.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969630-put-20-refundable-deposits-tesla-model-3
But some folks here who reserved 2 also got sub 400xxx numbers

Highly unlikely. There's an infinite number of numbers...so there's no need to mess up the data and attempt to re-use unique IDs. Few sane programmers would go through the trouble of doing this.

Most likely, the outliers are due to mistakes in recollection or data entry errors.

I get that, but disagree. I try to program as efficiently as possible since my experience is with physics simulations that take days to finish meaning memory allocation and storing usefull data as compact as possible a priority. The ID's are ''small'' numbers though, but I still believe it to be good practice to do so. I see several advantages in this case.
Furthermore it explains the outliers in the last part of the graph where some people made a reservation days after the reveal when the reservation rate was far slower and easy to keep up with by a server (thus unlikely for it to be an overflow event) and the assigned ID is actually a far lower number than what they should have gotten. By your proposed method those lower numbers should have been uniqually assigned already, thus making the ID no longer unique. Based on the time of reservation Tesla could fix the ID, but why haven't they done so? In case of an overflow or some other problem the system should default to assign a far larger number than the highest assigned so far, not some random lower number that's already taken.