Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible updates to Model S in the next few weeks/months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is due to arrive in October. I was wondering if there are any rumors or reports of hardware/design updates to Model S in the next few weeks or months? I can push back the delivery date as I'm in no hurry to get it.

Yes, always. Something is almost certain to be different in 3 months, and in 6, and 9 and 12. That's just the way it is.

In the last 90 days we've gained an ionizer and a higher resolution instrument cluster. I have the former, but not the latter. I wouldn't trade a single day of ownership for either.

Yeah, the A85 and A110 (AWD) will be announced for sure. Definitely...

Lol

Tbh, most changes are communicated in one of four ways:

1. Elon mentions something in an interview. Expect to wait minimum of 2 years to see this, if ever.

2. Tesla blog. Normally safety-related. Expect it to be already installed in new cars but no one knew about it outside of Freemont.

3. Design Studio. New colors, wheels, pricing, options.. they just pop up unannounced in the Design Studio.

4. New deliveries. My car has a revised trim around the instrument cluster, and a different screen. Others have ionizers installed. No-one knows about these changes until someone else spots them and comments on here.

My Model S is due to arrive in October. I was wondering if there are any rumors or reports of hardware/design updates to Model S in the next few weeks or months? I can push back the delivery date as I'm in no hurry to get it.

I thought once you "finalized" the car, there was no ability to change configuration or push back delivery without losing your deposit.

Is that not the case?

Ed

Yes, always. Something is almost certain to be different in 3 months, and in 6, and 9 and 12. That's just the way it is.

Exactly right. And since there are no Tesla "model years" because improvements and new features are rolled out when they are ready with no advance announcement, it is pointless to put off ordering in hopes of getting something new.

The same advice applies as when buying a computer. Should you buy now or wait? You can always count on a better product being just around the corner. Tesla continually adds features and improves the product without advance notice or adherence to model year expectations. If you like the state of the car and its features today, go ahead and buy one. You won't regret it. But if there is something you are waiting for that is super important, then wait. But if you're just thinking about waiting out of the hope that something new and cool might come - but you don't really know what that is or what you want to see - then just buy the car.

:)

I thought once you "finalized" the car, there was no ability to change configuration or push back delivery without losing your deposit.

Is that not the case?

Ed

Not exactly - it is possible but not certain that you can make small changes right up until the car goes into production - it all depends on how they feel! I was able to add Power folding mirrors after Finalizing - others have changed color or even model. But others have been denied. But that is only options in the design studio. If the factory adds a new piece of hardware, like the ionizer you don't know until you get the car. But I assume if one car gets that, then all subsequent builds would as well

I was told that most of those upgrades can/will be installed so long as you're still under the service/warranty contract. I asked about that specifically for 4G data and was told that whenever it comes out, I'll get it. I ordered mine in July (with delivery mid September) feeling confident that there was no real reason to wait.
Is that not true?

I was told that most of those upgrades can/will be installed so long as you're still under the service/warranty contract. I asked about that specifically for 4G data and was told that whenever it comes out, I'll get it. I ordered mine in July (with delivery mid September) feeling confident that there was no real reason to wait.
Is that not true?

No, Tesla does not upgrade your older car to the same specs as newer vehicles. However, you are entitled to service bulletin updates and upgrades as long as you are under warranty and/or ESA (extended warranty), but those are typically only to address issues. For instance, Tesla is shipping new vehicles with a speedo display of much higher pixel density than older vehicles, but older cars are not entitled to have their screens updated.

In 2013, I think, Tesla started installing some P+ parts into the regular Ps to improve handling. Prior P85 owners are not entitled to receive those upgrades. In general Tesla will not upgrade the hardware components in your car in order to add functionality that you did not have previously. Software, on the other hand, is a different story. There Tesla always tries to add as much as possible for all owners.

No, Tesla does not upgrade your older car to the same specs as newer vehicles. However, you are entitled to service bulletin updates and upgrades as long as you are under warranty and/or ESA (extended warranty), but those are typically only to address issues. For instance, Tesla is shipping new vehicles with a speedo display of much higher pixel density than older vehicles, but older cars are not entitled to have their screens updated.

In 2013, I think, Tesla started installing some P+ parts into the regular Ps to improve handling. Prior P85 owners are not entitled to receive those upgrades. In general Tesla will not upgrade the hardware components in your car in order to add functionality that you did not have previously. Software, on the other hand, is a different story. There Tesla always tries to add as much as possible for all owners.

What if you are willing to pay for certain upgrades/new hardware? Obviously some are more difficult to do after-the-fact than others.

What if you are willing to pay for certain upgrades/new hardware? Obviously some are more difficult to do after-the-fact than others.

It depends. Certain items like parking sensors can be added if the base car has the appropriate infrastructure (e.g. updated wiring harness that was anticipating parking sensors). I had the suspension on my Signature P85 upgraded to with the P+ parts after several months of discussion with Tesla on the subject. In all cases the upgrade will cost a lot more than the ordering option for current buyers.

Just to clarify, I've clarified with Tesla (before putting down my deposit) that I have the flexibility to push back and change configuration before it goes into production. I've already pushed the date back by one month. My reason for October delivery was just on a hunch: there were hardware upgrades last August so wanted some buffer in case they're on an Apple-like yearly schedule.

In terms of possible upgrades, the main option I'm looking for is automatic braking like Mercedes Distronic Plus. It's the one feature I feel all luxury cars should have. Since I'm planning to keep the car for years (a decade or more), I don't mind waiting a few months to have some peace of mind for years :) Anyway, based on the replies, I understand that there is no way to know in advance.

In terms of possible upgrades, the main option I'm looking for is automatic braking like Mercedes Distronic Plus.

It seems very unlikely at this point, see the other threads on this board discussing those topics. Although from those discussions, the cost of retrofitting that feature is so great that if it is a make or break feature for you, it might be worth waiting longer.

In terms of possible upgrades, the main option I'm looking for is automatic braking like Mercedes Distronic Plus. It's the one feature I feel all luxury cars should have. Since I'm planning to keep the car for years (a decade or more), I don't mind waiting a few months to have some peace of mind for years :) Anyway, based on the replies, I understand that there is no way to know in advance.

I would expect a radar-guided cruise / automatic braking retrofit to be far in excess of $5000. It will inevitably mean a whole new front bumper assembly.

If that's the key feature you need before you will buy a new car then IMO you should be reserving a Model X, since that's where the new toys are going to appear first.