Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible upgrade for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China started to power all the Model Y with AMD, and lucky Chinese customers are receiving AMD Model Y (LR and P) this month.

I am wondering if it is happening to us soon.
According to some online reports it's only the MYPs that are initially getting the AMD based systems.

just found out M3 is now having AMD, not sute if they are applying to both M3 and M3P or not. See below.
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 16.43.05.png

However, MY is still having the old one, see below.
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 16.42.50.png

Why would it be otherwise? Makes no sense.

Fair. I guess I would have expected the Fremont factory to upgrade the MY's like Shanghai (and model 3s), matrix lights, door panels, rear cover etc. But maybe they decided to just produce 24x7x365 at Fremont until Austin/Berlin are up and then retool Fremont? Regardless, I would hope (and expect) that Austin and Berlin would match the newly released specification changes seen at Shanghai. It doesn't make financial sense to make different models depending on factory.

Fair. I guess I would have expected the Fremont factory to upgrade the MY's like Shanghai (and model 3s), matrix lights, door panels, rear cover etc. But maybe they decided to just produce 24x7x365 at Fremont until Austin/Berlin are up and then retool Fremont? Regardless, I would hope (and expect) that Austin and Berlin would match the newly released specification changes seen at Shanghai. It doesn't make financial sense to make different models depending on factory.
I mentioned above I think it’s entirely possible Fremont will switch too. I just don’t see Texas making the old config. That’s what doesn’t make sense. I could see them leaving Fremont behind until Texas production is up to speed or switching it at the same time. Probably depends on how much down time there would be

These won't make on to our shore till well into 2022 or even into early 2023. The Fremont and Austin factory will be too busy filling all the orders that are in the queue already. Plus, all these new features require re-tooling the machines as well as having the new parts ready for the line.

At this point, I'd be happy just having the software enhanced 360 degree view already. :rolleyes:
Don’t really agree, demand doesn’t really factor in. China made the change on the fly. It’s true we may have to burn through stocked parts but my guess is these changes come soon. Maybe not all at once though.

It is my hope and my guess that J.I.T's will get better when the 2 new factories are fully up and running. Freemont has been behind by months upgrading the 3's and Y's since China opened. I can't envision a scenerio where Freemont and Austin are making different versions of the same vehicle. Or, I hope not.

Agreed. And while they’re at it, a proper rain sensor also.
Agreed... However, regardless if they do that, there needs to be a way to toggle wiper speed from the stalk, whether that be long pressing the button, or double pressing, etc...

Even in my other cars with an actual IR rain sensor, it doesn't work too well in light mist, becuase the sensor is on the top portion of the windshield, and when it's misting, only the bottom half of the window has droplets on it. And occasionally will still go to superspeed if something gets smeared on the window.

There should also be a quick toggle somewhere on the display for the headlights. There were lots of times when the auto-headlights fails to turn on the headlights, particularly when it's raining or foggy... By the very least, allow me to turn on the headlights from the voice controls.... Would also be nice if I could use to voice controls to toggle day/night mode as well... There are several occasions where I drop off my kid in the morning, and it will go to day mode, even tho it's still fairly dark outside. Rather irritating when it's so bright in those conditions.

Reactions: DesertSilver